Deluxe(?) tuner upgrade for Squier Bullet?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by yomuppet, Mar 23, 2012.

1. yomuppet

yomuppet Squier Talker

Hey Folks,

There have been a lot of threads recently regarding upgrading the "trapezoid" tuners, and my question is specifically regarding a Bullet with the trapezoids with the plastic sleeve... the ones on the "right" in this thread:

http://www.squier-talk.com/forum/squier-stratocasters/3687-so-there-least-two-types-trapazoid-tuners.html

Would these tuners below be a drop-in replacement? I'm not a big fan of the rectangular Kluson look, and really like the vintage F-stamped style. [​IMG]

Details from the listing:

FENDER SQUIER J-807 deluxe tuners for Strat/Tele
    Package of 6 with bolt bushings and washers, 2 pin mount.
    Fender part number 007 3867 000
    Stock on Deluxe Strat, Deluxe Hot Rail Strat, Lavigne & Whibley Teles, Affinity Strat with IC serial number

If they will not drop in, what will be necessary, just reaming the holes a little wider? Drilling somewhere? Where?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

J

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  2. mg2125

mg2125 Squier Talker

Yes, you will have to enlarge the holes. I don't believe those tuners will cover the screw holes left by the trapezoid ones you're replacing, so you will need to fill those. Finally, the new tuners have a pin to keep them from rotating, so you will need to make a hole or two for that (I write two because iirc, some of those tuners have two pins).

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  3. mg2125

mg2125 Squier Talker

4. yomuppet

yomuppet Squier Talker

Those threads have a wealth of information, much better than what I got through searching. Thanks so much.

J