Delayed New Guitar Day Thread 1

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by eaglesgift, May 14, 2018.

1. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-Nut

Apr 18, 2014
    ———-
    I bought 4 new guitars over the last 2-3 months, but I never got around to posting any NGD threads so....I'm going to post them now. My wife bought 2 of these guitars for me and in even more exciting news, she has twice asked me if I was playing a new guitar this week, when I was actually playing one she had already seen. This is fantastic as it means I can start buying more guitars and tell her they are old ones. :)

The first guitar I bought was an Ibanez SIX70FDBG (yeah, I just had to look that up!), which I bought secondhand from a dealer in Bangkok. It cost less than twice what the pickups cost here so I thought it was a reasonable deal.

Ibanez Iron Label 1.jpg

Ibanez Iron Label 2.jpg

Ibanez Iron Label 3.jpg

It's a mahogany body with a bubinga top and abalone binding. The pickups are USA DiMarzio (yeah man!): Tone Zone in the Bridge, True Velvet in the middle and an Air Norton in the neck position. The Iron Label series was designed to appeal to shredders I think and while this guitar is easy to set up with a nice low action, I find myself getting jazzy on it as much as I do trying to shred. One thing I have always loved about DiMarzio pickups is that they generally sound great clean as well, even the high-output models that were designed with overdriven tones in mind (to my ears at least).

squierbilly, Pat V., mb doug and 8 others like this.
  2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    The bubinga grain is lovely. The abalone would have made terrific inlays too.

3. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
  4. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-Nut

Apr 18, 2014
    ———-
    Thanks, I really like the bubinga too. No inlays but fortunately there are some plain dots along the top of the fretboard so I don't get completely lost. I forgot to include a side-on picture: I was amazed at how slim S series Ibanez guitars really are. It's like playing a pancake when you first pick them up!

Ibanez Iron Label 4a.jpg

squierbilly, Pat V., daan and 5 others like this.
  5. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    That’s a sweet guitar, HNGD :)

6. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Smokes. My wife wouldn't even know where to start.

I just hope she can get some help when I die, so that my guitars don't wind up in the SGW section.

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  7. Treynor

Treynor Squier-holic

Jun 22, 2016
    Dallas, Texas
    Happy Delayed New Guitar Day! That is a gorgeous Ibanez.

BTW...I think you are accurate on the Dimarzio's sounding good clean. The '84 Takamine GZ-300 I just traded for has factory installed Dimarzios and they sound very good clean or driven.

8. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    wow - pretty ! Congrats !

dbrian66 and eaglesgift like this.
  9. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I can't take pictures in my house. There are no clean areas. My house is a war-zone with 3 kids.

10. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-Nut

Apr 18, 2014
    ———-
    Have you looked at the background in my pics? I was going to apologise for the mess but I thought, why bother....it usually looks worse. :)

willhowl, wonkenstein, Eddie and 2 others like this.
  11. DHSteeze

DHSteeze Squier Talker

Mar 23, 2018
    Mass
    Congrats on the Ibanez Iron Label, that bubinga top with abalone binding is a beauty! I love my S series as well, the bodies are incredibly thin, but surprisingly well balanced, too.

Great score with the pre-loaded Dimarzios! Something about Ibanez guitars and Dimarzio pickups, it always seems to be a great sounding combo.
    I have a Liquifire in the neck of my S, and a Crunch Lab in the bridge and they sound great, especially with a push/pull pot to split them.

Enjoy!

Kenneth Mountain and eaglesgift like this.
  12. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Your house is pristine.

The guitar is beautiful !

eaglesgift and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  13. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-Nut

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Really beautiful axe! And I agree, just because it sets up like a hot rod shredder doesn't mean you can't enjoy all the subtle goodness that guitar can do. That's what's really good about some of the after market pickups - more tonal possibilities. Ibanez quality is really consistent right across their line - and there's a reason they spec 'em with DiMarzio..... hard not to be in love with the grain on that top.

eaglesgift and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  14. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Meister

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    I've got a rg1070...same pickups....i think they put them in every guitar.. They are a good combo,,,all though the single coil is a little weak in the middle of those nice humbuckers ! just gotta turn up a little bit. They do a great clean, but also get Nasty !;)

eaglesgift likes this.
  15. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-Nut

Apr 18, 2014
    ———-
    Yes they do seem to put them in a lot of their mid range guitars and you’re right about the single coil sounding a bit weak in between those two humbuckers. I almost thought it was faulty. I haven’t really got very nasty with this guitar yet but I have a free day today. :cool:

16. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    A Dimarzio SDS-1 would work great in between those two. Nice guitar, I never knew they were so thin!

willhowl and eaglesgift like this.
  17. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Wow! Just now seeing this thread. Your new guitar is stunning! I love the thin profile. HNGD!

willhowl and eaglesgift like this.
  18. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    HNGD! Beautiful guitar. The important thing is you enjoy it.

You got that dead on right!

If they did, you know they would bring huge money!

Try 4 dogs, 3 med to large and however many cats. Three girls can't hold a candle in mess making. :)

It was a surprise to me too!

Enjoy and have tons of fun!