Decent budget singles I found

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by Jake e lee, May 18, 2019.

1. Jake e lee

Jake e lee Squier Talker

May 12, 2019
    Northern Ireland
    This is related to another ST series guitar I own.
    I hadnt much spare cash but wanted a pickup with a little more kick in SSS format.
    So..took a chance on warman texas triples and surprisingly very very good for a low cost pickup.
    Ceramic mags but what i noticed,they are wound with lots of wire,noticeable even by the weight of the pickup and visually...lots of windings.
    These are hot and to get the best,screw them right into the body,keep them low.
    But,very good and this is an independant conclusion.
    I was very surprised and still use them and i think i paid like £25 for the set of three.
    If you are fixing up on a budget...these are good

2. pflug

pflug Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2013
    Michigan
    I've been using Guitar Madness stuff for budget upgrades- not sure how much shipping would be though out of the US

3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    YouTube video's are hard to judge as far as comparison's. I was going to buy a set of Lace Sensor Gold but I wanted to try this instead. 30 bucks is worth the try. "Artec Alnico 5 ".

p.jpg

4. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Before I found Guitar Madness pups, Artec was my go-to. Artec actually makes a big % of “imported” pickups (most of GFS is rebranded Artec stuff) so their pups are actually quite good.

5. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    Good info @daan thanks for sharing. The guitar that I am modding is a partscaster to begin with. My wife bought for me for Christmas years ago and is one of my favs.

SquierTap, Kenneth Mountain and daan like this.
  6. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Guitar Madness on ebay as has been mentioned before. I'm amazed by their stuff....I've replaced Duncans and DiMarzios with GM pickups.

7. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I've bought three sets of GM 62z, his vintage spec Alnico 5 Strat pickups. At $25 a set, they sound as good as many $200 sets from Fender, Duncan, Dimarzio, and others, IMO.

BeepBoop, Caddy, Eddie and 2 others like this.
  8. pflug

pflug Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2013
    Michigan
    I've got Duncan SSLs in my CV and VM's and do think they sound better than the $24/ set GM Alnicos I've put in several of my SEs the GMs are amazing for the price and a huge upgrade from the factory super cheap ceramics.

Have tried a few but probably like the neck and middle from the 62z set combined with the "hot"bridge the most personally

9. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-Meister

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    I will have to try some of your suggestions, I have been looking for some good singles to replace the ones in my SE, and those Fender pups' prices are through the roof lol

10. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Yes, I go straight to GM's ebay store and look for what I need. There's no reason for me to spend 5 times the amount of money on something identical.

I love GM's pups.

DougMen likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice