Danelectros Anyone?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by duceditor, Mar 22, 2020.

1. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    That's the Deluxe model, comes in thinline and solid versions, and costs more

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    duceditor likes this.
  2. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    That's RJ Ronquillo, Jack Pearson ain't got nothing on him!
    There's a bunch more videos on this model on YouTube, from Andy at Reverb, Shane at In the Blues (lefties take note), Marty Music, and The Tone King, as well as the more expensive 64 and 66 models, including one by RJ, who has videos of a bunch of different Dano models. The more expensive ones have carved tops instead of a slab body, and there's even a Strat with 3 lipsticks.
    www.danelectro.com

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    daan, duceditor and Mr Bones like this.
  3. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I have owned every cheap guitar from the 60's on these are one of my fav's and they are so light. Old stock IMAG0679.jpg

mimmo, marklk and duceditor like this.
  4. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    I took the plunge and bought the 12 string.
    NGD review to follow after delivery.

duceditor and Big tuna like this.
  5. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I want the 12 string as well can't wait for your insight.

6. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    Karl Sandoval used to use Danelectro necks on guitars he built back in the late 70s-early 80s.
    If you're not familiar with him, he built guitars for Eddie Van Halen, George Lynch (Dokken) and he built Randy Rhoads' polka dot V.
    Good article about Randys' guitars talking about it here
    https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/the-guitars-of-randy-rhoads-1

I found it interesting, maybe someone else will

daan likes this.
  7. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    This post will be kind of a Novel, sorry for the lengthy post. But here goes:

I had a late 90’s U2 reissue. Powder blue. I had just gotten a good job and wanted a nice guitar-at the time all I had was a Harmony I literally pulled out of a dumpster, and a sort of super Strat made out of a random collection of parts (a friend gave me his Kramer Focus V bolt-on neck copy, and I used the neck, Floyd and one of the pickups on a random Floyd routed body I found. So I really wanted a BRAND NEW guitar that wasn’t botched together. I was all set to buy a Squier Strat when the sales guy I was working with, suggested I try out a U2, that was the same price as the Squiers I was looking at. The one I tried, was head and shoulders better playing and sounding than any of the Squiers. I also A/B-ed that Dano with all the other ones they had, and I thought it sounded better than all those, too... Needless to say I brought it home with me, and it was my only guitar for many years. It was still my #1 even after finishing school and getting a REAL good job, buying a vintage Gretsch and a bunch of Fender Deluxe Tele’s... I had expensive “vintage” guitars that should have been my favorites, but that Dano still sounded better than any of them. On mine, the bridge collapsed in the middle like everyone else’s, and I tried to fix it by putting it in a Vice. I kind of broke it, so I took it to a Luthier guy I knew ( I lived in an Artist’s Co-op and he had a repair shop in his space) Anyway he fixed it by putting a cut-off Tele bridge on it (the 3-barrel kind, but with the pickup area cut off) He liked it so much, he offered to just buy the guitar from me. I should have kept it... The last I heard from him, he still has it.
    I’ve actually bought other U2’s, but they just didn’t have ...something like my old one. Plus the necks on them are all too small to me now.

8. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    It was “Blue Suede” color. And I don’t have a picture of mine on this phone but it looked exactly like this.
    848BDAEB-9B89-4052-98D9-372C0FC28F7A.jpeg

santos likes this.
  9. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    If the back of the neck is all painted like this, it’s an early Korean reissue (the best ones) If it’s unpainted (or, y’know, clearcoated) it’s a later Chinese one. What I read was the actual original ones (and the 90’s MIK) were Poplar, which was part of their “sound” The newer ones are Chinese maple, or Sen or whatever making them sound different. Or something.

10. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I agree there is nothing about it that grabs the eye. But here's a funny thing... It's one of the most efficient designs out there. The strings all have a pretty straight run from the nut to the peg with little binding side torsion, and no need for string trees.

-don

11. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    Only have one. EE798D2B-F3A3-4B43-BCC2-DD2DFC6E8ECC.jpeg

duceditor likes this.
  12. newscaster

newscaster Squier Talker

Aug 23, 2018
    Nevada
    I also have the single pickup reissue, solid as a rock, wish I knew where to get a pickguard for it. It's that black purple one. Odd color.

13. newscaster

newscaster Squier Talker

Aug 23, 2018
    Nevada
    Love all these originals, every one of them has a story to tell

14. mrriggs

mrriggs Squier-Meister

Apr 27, 2018
    Vancouver, WA
    I joke that the last time I tuned the Dano was when I put strings on it... but that's not far from the truth. It's the most stable guitar I've ever owned.

duceditor likes this.
  15. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Nut

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    I really like them both visually, screaming art-deco all over them, and sound-wise, with the lipstick pickups having a characteristic bright tone.

However, though I like looking at them in Instagram and local sales classifieds, the fact they have notoriously poor upper fret access, which is a big deal for me, steers me away from them. They'd give amazing rhythm guitars, though.

16. marklk

marklk Squier Talker

May 10, 2018
    KC
    Tell me more/pics. I didn't know they made a single pickup version. Ideally I'd like to get one like my original. Single pickup and dolphin headstock but I don't think they exist

17. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I've mentioned before that my Dad tried to start a mail order music shop when I was a kid and in the late 90's all that was left of that was he was an official D'Addario dealer.

Well when the first Danelectro reissues came out in the late 90's they were a product he could get dealer cost on. Both my little brother and my step-brother got Danelectro guitars and little Dano amps for Christmas 99, I already had a Squier Strat so I just got a Zoom 505 MFX pedal. But I kinda wished I would have got at least one for myself. They're pretty cool.

18. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Saw this on fb marketplace today, and was wondering why that bridge?

62429511-9190-46FD-92C1-9E9E49B3E718.jpeg

19. santos

santos Squier Talker

Jan 29, 2017
    near the beach...
    My 1998 Danelectro DC59 has probably been my #1 guitar since I bought it in 2006, it's the first one I reach out for every time.

I only have 3 electrics but due to its superlight weight this one is usually the one I take out with me because I gig abroad more often than not. (Or at least, I did until, well you know...)

It's so light that even in a flightcase with my pedals it comes in under the airline weight allowance. And the tuning is rock solid. I have flatwound strings on it, and the tone is great, plus it's so easy to play. If anything happened to it I'd replace it with another 1998 model immediately.

Pics? Ok, one from onstage at a festival in Bansko, Bulgaria and one from home with my (now gone) Mustang bass.

IMG_0075.jpeg
    23824604_1462278673889752_5354429676590727168_n.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice