Danelectros Anyone?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by duceditor, Mar 22, 2020.

1. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Every once in a while someone here will mention Danelectros - a guitar that never got much respect in my own musical circle in the `60s. We saw them often -- on sale in Sears stores -- and basically sneered and laughed as only an 'all knowing' teen can do.

Later I came to realize my youthful folly and when the resurrected `90s company came out with their modern remakes of these guitars (1998?) I nabbed one -- a DC59 -- and never regretted it.

Here's my baby as she is today:

Dano 1 web.jpg

Dano Headstockweb.jpg Dano Lipstick PU web.jpg Dano Controls web.jpg

The originals sold at Sears for about $49. Today you can get a good recreation for about $400.

In some ways neither is a real bargain -- not like a Squier is. They were made, and are made, cheap, cheap, cheap. But today's are by no means 'crap.' They play beautifully! Have a nice neck and truly get the sound of those originals.

I'll play mine acoustically more often than plugged in. That may seem strange, but not I suspect if you've played one. Few guitars so well share a sound between their unplugged and plugged in state. Raunchy. Punchy. Chimey. Choose your own description. Or just say "Danelectro" and most players will know just what you mean.

Oh, and yes, the "cheapness" is part of it. The hollow fiberboard body. The totally unique "lipstick" pickups. Even the wiring and controls.

A Dano bridge is also unique. A single wood saddle on a metal base plate -- and that base plate traditionally warps warping the wood with it.

Funny thing is that doesn't hurt the guitar's playability or sound. How and why I can't say, but it doesn't.

Here 'tis... El Warpo!

2020-03-22_12-00-49_167.jpeg

When mine started showing the first signs of that warp I immediately ordered a replacement. It still sits in its plastic envelope. Now, over twenty years later, the old one - more warped than ever -- is still just fine.

Yeah, weird. But so!

The company came out with models that "improved" the bridge. Got rid of the warping "problem" and made it adjustable. Lots of players said "no way!" and now the company sells 'em both ways.

Again, funny that.

Anyhow, what brought all this to mind (I'd planned on sharing my Dano next on the geet of the week thread but that never happened) -- anyhow, this is what brought it to mind. A good vid about 'em. Done by and for Sweetwater.

Enjoy!

Oh, and have a cool Dano story? I for one would love to hear it!

-don

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    santos, fattboyzz, Big tuna and 6 others like this.
  2. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    And here she is doing her pure `60s thing...

-don

santos, daan, Big tuna and 6 others like this.
  3. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-Nut

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    I have a U2 and a DC12, I don’t play them much, but would be reluctant to part with them.

marklk and mb doug like this.
  4. mrriggs

mrriggs Squier-Meister

Apr 27, 2018
    Vancouver, WA
    My very first guitar was a 90's reissue U2. A lot of guitars have come and gone but I still have that one. The sound and feel is totally unique. The notes kind of POP, almost like a really short slap-back delay.

The saggy bridge did deter me from playing it for a while. The quick, easy solution was to slot the bridge for the outer strings with nut files. First set the action for the center strings with the bridge screws, then file the slots for the others to match the fretboad radius. An under-string radius gauge made short work of this. The feel of the guitar improved immensely!

[​IMG]

In the pic you can also see the replacement outer knobs. They are radio knobs from a 1965 Ford Mustang. This was another simple fix that gives the guitar a more high-end feel when you pick it up. Plus, it looks cooler. ;)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    daan, drewcp, gearobsessed and 4 others like this.
  5. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-holic

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    Loves me some Danos, have had many, gigged an recorded with em, over th decades...oftentimes,
    they were relegated to open tunin slide duty, cause, well, Stratocasters lol! :D

Yer DC59 is in easily one my favourite ever Dano colours, although th SW vid is showin th other one...
    Would've almost given up a kidney, or similar when I was a young lad, to have such a fine guitfiddle, but they were way beyond our economic reach, back in them days...

Great job, Don! I really enjoyed yer playin, an yer tone was Spot On!
    Thanks fer postin this up, amigo,
    Truly brightened my Sunday! :)

daan, drewcp, mb doug and 1 other person like this.
  6. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I had a powder blue DC59 for about a month... it had the “improved” bridge (very similar to the bridge on the squier VM HH Jaguar). I’ve played ones with the Rosewood bridge as well, the chime is is mostly from that aluminum nut, and the fact that the bridge is held in place by the tension of the strings. The steel bridge seems even more chimey acoustically... and you are right, the similarity between acoustic and electric tone is apparent more than any other guitar... and it’s not just the pickups, because I’ve heard modded Dano’s, and much like a Tele, no matter what pickup you put in it, it still sounds like a Dano. Similarly, other guitars with lipstick pickups do not sound like Dano’s either, even when an aluminum, or brass nut is added, Dano-like at best. Tone wood be damned in this situation :D it’s all about the bridge/nut, and neck in these, speaking of which...

I couldn’t bond with the neck, which is why I had it for only a month. I got it not long after I started playing after my decades hiatus, and I was giving myself hand cramps playing chords on it (as well as often flubbing those chords). I traded it for an Epi LP+top, which then got traded for something else down the road).

I’ve always wanted a longhorn Bass, but the one I had in my hands for the price I wanted had the Masonite separating at the seam in back. They have a unique tone as well (and that tic-tac tone).
    ....AND... they are dorky-cool.

I’ll get a longhorn if the right deal comes along.

daan, drewcp and mb doug like this.
  7. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA

I wonder if you'd find it different now?

Maybe I'm less particular when it comes to neck shape, but I find it delightful, even going back and forth with Gibbies and Fenders.

-don

8. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Could be?

Though I’ve migrated to liking chunky necks even more since those days... so...

duceditor likes this.
  9. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-holic

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    Addendum:
    These are a few of my Favourite Thangs heehee! :D

duceditor likes this.
  10. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-Nut

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ

Found some pics...

traded the two dano basses for a Pbass..

[​IMG]

Dc12

[​IMG]

U2

[​IMG]

silvertone

[​IMG]

santos, daan, drewcp and 6 others like this.
  11. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    On my bucket list of guitars for sure.

drewcp likes this.
  12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    I have a '63 Baritone. I bought it at a great price at GC a few years ago since they listed it in only "good" condition due to modifications. The modification was a new, rather pricey, bridge.

danelectro 63 baritone.jpg

santos, daan, drewcp and 6 others like this.
  13. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-holic

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    Suh-Weet! I had that same model Silvertone, ya probly got th amp-in-case fer it, too, right? Them're fun fer recordin....:)

drewcp and radiotech like this.
  14. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    A 1959 Dano Deluxe (double cutaway, three pickups) was my first electric. I got it and the Dano 40W Centurion amp and separate Dano spring reverb tank used in 1959 from a local kid. A few years later had a Bigsby installed on it. Was my only electric until the spring of 1965 when I bought a new Jazzmaster right after high school graduation. Played in quite a few bands with that Dano. Fond memories, but the guitar really wasn't that great.

santos, daan, drewcp and 4 others like this.
  15. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I really like the new 64XT model, maxresdefault.jpg with dual lipstick bridge and Jazzmaster style neck pickups, Mosrite style body, and Strat bridge

drewcp, duceditor, Big tuna and 2 others like this.
  16. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    I get an itch for a Dano 12 stringer, occasionally.

drewcp and duceditor like this.
  17. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-holic

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    Lovin them looks, an pups combo...
    Mebbe if they was 'bout half-arsed smart, why, they'd pay Jack Pearson to do em some demos???
    Jus Sayin. :D

drewcp likes this.
  18. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2016
    Sackville, NB, Canada
    I like the retro-cool appearance, except for the Coke-bottle headstock.
    Something about it just puts me off, like they didn't even make an effort.

I'd prefer something like the Gumby (?) head on this one:
    [​IMG]

drewcp, duceditor, Big tuna and 2 others like this.
  19. marklk

marklk Squier Talker

May 10, 2018
    KC
    Are we counting Silvertones? A '59 and '61 U1s. I really hope to have a U2 reissue at some point. 20191029_085447.jpg 20191029_085529.jpg

Attached Files:

santos, daan, drewcp and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice