Danelectro u2 (dano appreciation thread)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by -MKR-, Feb 9, 2015.

1. -MKR-

-MKR- Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Toronto
    I have been having some major GAS pains for a Danelectro for the last bunch of months. The kinds that leave you looking at the google image search one time too many.

Well yesterday that itch got scratched. I picked up a danelectro u2 (90s re-issue). It's the exact same surf green (although i think danelectro gives it a different name) than the one on my squier jag. This thing is awesome. It's super lightweight (due to the masonite no doubt), the neck is fantastic, the lipsticks sound cool, and the bridge is wood, oh yeah the nut is metal. The guitar sounds brilliant and actually really nice acoustically too (it is technically a hollow body).

It's korean made and i guess because of this i see trap tuners although these ones feel pretty solid and the guitar has been keeping tune just fine.

here's some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i guess not too many people here have dano's, but if you do by all means post a pic or two or talk about them. They are such cool instruments and have such a great place in guitar culture.

Here's some famous dano pics that i have come across that have always stuck with me:

elvis in the army:
    [​IMG]

a very young jimi:
    [​IMG]

and the legendary link wray:
    [​IMG]

AngelDeVille, Chubbles and marklk like this.
  2. Dcbowling80

Dcbowling80 Dr. Squier

Aug 26, 2014
    Laplata MD
    Congrats, Dano's are cool guitars. I've played quite a few but never had the chance to own one. There's a guy in CA who bought a bunch of bodies, necks, etc from the original factory when it shut down and he assembles and sells em pretty cheap. The wooden saddle and metal nut definitely add to that unique sound it's got.

3. blackpudboy

blackpudboy Squier-holic

Oh I like that, infact everything about that guitar appeals to me. Congrats, I love it.:cool::)

4. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Lovely! :)

I had that "itch" when, back in the 1990s these reissues came out, and indeed to glowing reviews.

I chose a DC59 in "bronze" because it best matched the ones my guitar buddy Al Karp (later lead singer in the Abstracts) used to alternatively drool over and laugh at at Sears.

[​IMG]

Drool over because they were cool. Laugh at because some of them at least had horrible necks, and the cheap masonite construction was, even to thirteen year old kids, just so lame.

Fact is my DC59 has proven to be a keeper. It is one of the first guitars I grab if, for instance, I have a new song idea that I went to fool around with in a hurry. Those acoustic properties you mention are very real. It plays wonderfully that way!

A couple of months ago I made a couple of videos that explored how stuff I always played on "good" guitars (Al and I both wound up playing Gibsons -- he a 1959 Les Paul! -- when our first full band, the Twi-lites started bringing in regular cash) sounded on one of those old cheapos. Pretty good in fact!

Here's one of them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nuamUCRjjI

-don

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    AngelDeVille likes this.
  5. -MKR-

-MKR- Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Toronto
    thanks guys. Don, your DC59 does indeed look great. I think the double cutaways look even cooler than the single cutaways like mine. I will have to check the video out when i get home (it's blocked at my work).

You know what's funny is these aren't really 'cheapos' by todays standards. They're actually quite expensive in my opinion. Long and Mcqaude sells them and most of them are around $500. I think the cheapest one is the wild thing at $399 (it looks just like the name would suggest!).

6. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I think I paid $295 for the DC59 in the `90s which, in comparison to what you could get in a Squier or Epiphone for the same money is/was high. (They were $49 at Sears in the early `60s - and that was a MORE expensive in work hours for a kid.)

Still, dollar for dollar that money purchases a lot of fun. Especially, I expect, for us old timers for whom they carry so many memories.

:)

-don

7. 9-42

9-42 Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2014
    NJ
    I have a Dano 3-lipstick pickup Hodad 12 string that I bought new at CG in 2001 for $249. Never used it much - In fact until last year it still had the original strings on it! For 13 years!! :eek::eek::eek:
    It takes more strength to fret 12 strings than 6 strings, and it's kind of crowded on the fingerboard, so I kind of lost interest in it.
    Then one day last year the light bulb over my head went on! Restring it as a 6 string!! So I did. YAHOOOOOOOOO!!! What a great sound that thing makes. And with the extra room on the fingerboard, it's easier for clumsy-fingered guys like myself to make the chords..
    But what a great sound that thing has! :D It sure looks funky with that giant headstock having only 6 strings on it, but the rest of the guitar looks funky too, in metalflake pea-soup green, so it all kind of fits together.
    Might have to look for a used Hodad 6 string next. They have a a pair of splittable twin coil lipsticks, so there are loads of pickup combinations.

8. -MKR-

-MKR- Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Toronto
    my dano has crazy old strings on it. i'm sure they are years old. I like the sound of the guitar now, but i can imagine when i put some new strings on it, it's going to have some more punch and pop and be even better.

9. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    That's super cool, there's one same and color at my local Pawn for $299 waiting to get a price drop:) HNGD

10. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    nice guitar guy! how strange I was watching utube videos of the 12 string danos last week thinking I might need one of those.

11. -MKR-

-MKR- Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Toronto
    thanks guys.

Tuna i think you do need one of those.

I have beem dinking around with the dano the last few days and it is a real gem. mostly acoustically too. It sounds awesome.

12. Timmyv

Timmyv Squier Talker

Jun 19, 2018
    Ohio
    I used to own a white Dano 12 string and a Aquamarine sparkle U2 baritone. I miss both those guitars. A few weeks ago I got one of these in a trade . I scoured through my parts drawer to upgrade it and ended up with this:) Image1539242504.622997.jpg

Luvs2yoko likes this.
  13. marklk

marklk Squier Talker

May 10, 2018
    KC
    I really want one of those. They are really hard to find for a good price on the used market. When they do pop up it seems like I just spent my money on a different guitar.

I didn't have much interest in them until I got my brother-in-laws dads '59 Silvertone U1. Now I think they are so cool and I want a reissue bad. I think they briefly made a reissue with the dolphin headstock but I have yet to see one that isn't a baritone or bass.

Not a Dano but here is my Silvertone. Silvertone U1.JPG

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    AngelDeVille, BorderRadio and daan like this.
  14. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    734EE31D-EC99-440A-89E9-52166C3C587D.jpeg
    I had a U2, one of the 90’s MIK reissue one’s. I had just finished college, gotten a real job and wanted to reward myself with a BRAND NEW guitar, instead of the taped-together crap I had at the time. I was all set to buy a Squier Strat, when on a lark I tried one of the 15 U2’s the store had. It was MAGIC as soon as I picked it up! (I’m sure the Twin Reverb I was trying it out on, didn’t hurt) Anyway I then played all of the Danos they had, and brought this one home. Hands down it was the best sounding guitar I’d ever had up to then. I kept it until the bridge started collapsing in the middle (they all do that eventually) and traded it to a luthier friend for some work on my other POS’s. He put a cutoff Tele bridge on it, (and peeled off all the stickers I had plastered it with) and still has it today. I missed it so much I tried getting another one, but they just don’t seem the same for some reason. I keep hearing that the first reissue ones are the best. They had entirely painted necks, and the later ones had natural colored backs (among other changes) I also read that the MIK’s (and original ones) had Poplar necks (and Aluminum nuts) and the MIC ones are maple with plastic nuts. Maybe that could account for the difference. I tried making a Strat with lipstick pups, which was nice, but also not the same. Danos rule! Now if they just made them with bigger necks... I always thought the neck on mine was too small (I’d get a hand cramp and have to go back to my POS) but the Dano was so nice, I just lived with it. I’ve never tried any Dano that I thought the neck was big enough. :(

BorderRadio and AngelDeVille like this.
  15. dtsreiuqs

dtsreiuqs Squier-Nut

Oct 18, 2015
    France
    My 2 custom-made "Fake Lefty" Danelectro :

[​IMG]

Flanked here with a lefty Copper Dano 59 RI (at center) I had for a time - you clearly see from where comes the inspiration :D :

[​IMG]

The Lefty Dano RI was a recent one, and it was a good guitar, extremely lightweight and good sounding in its genre : i'd say a great instrument for Soul and Funk. I should have kept her... Nonetheless, my 2 "Lefty Fakes" were more polyvalent than the original, but cannot exactly imitate its very peculiar tone, that said.

A+!

BorderRadio, daan and AngelDeVille like this.
  16. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-Nut

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    Danelectro... Fuk Yeah!

U2
    [​IMG]

I guess Silvertone is ok too... 1449
    [​IMG]

DC12
    [​IMG]

Remedial guitars...

WildThing
    [​IMG]

LongHorn
    [​IMG]

17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    Dan fan here. I had a reissue U2 in Beatnik Burgundy. Stupidly sold it.
    But I'm back in the fold, made a trade for a U2 in Blue Suede, so woo-hoo!

DanoU2_front.jpg DanoU2_frontbody.jpg

daan likes this.