D'Addario NYXL

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by TEXINGA, Jun 13, 2019 at 5:20 AM.

1. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Nut

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
    Good day all, a friend of mine gave me a pack of D'Addario NYXL11-49's.

I use 11-49's but never tried this brand and type. I am not going to use them until I need them but I looked them up on the internet and see they sell for $12.00 and $15.00 a pack.

I am used to purchasing Fender strings and paying about $7.00 and happy with the sound.

Any thoughts and has anyone used this?

Thanks

upload_2019-6-13_5-18-53.png

mb doug and dbrian66 like this.
  2. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-Nut

Jun 16, 2016
    NY
    Supposedly they last longer and sound better... I don't spend that much on strings unless they are Elixir Nanowebs for my acoustics.

Normal $4 D'Addario sets are just fine for me. Although 11's are a bit thick for my taste (9-42 here).

dbrian66 and TEXINGA like this.
  3. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    I got a set with a guitar I bought. I put them on one of my Strats and they sound good, but I'm not sure if they sound any better than the no-name strings I buy in bulk for $1.18 a set. ;)

dbrian66, wickedtools and TEXINGA like this.
  4. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I went through a phase where I was using Elixir and Cleartone strings exclusively and I just about went to the poor house buying strings. Now I buy Ernie Ball Slinkys when they are on sale 2 sets for $40.00 and I'm just as happy as before. I just have more money left over for mods.

dbrian66, brians and TEXINGA like this.
  5. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-Meister

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    What am I missing? I've gotten EB Slinkys @ 3 sets for $9.99.

dbrian66, TEXINGA and Caddy like this.
  6. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Nut

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Im on the D'Addario players club program, where you buy product, enter your code and earn points towards merchandise. I earned enough points to redeem for a set of NYXL's. Maybe I need to play the guitar I put them on a bit more, but so far I can't tell a damn bit of difference between them and the regular D'Addario's I use.

dbrian66, BlueSquirrel and TEXINGA like this.
  7. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Nut

They are closer to $10 at the local GC. They do sound good, and last forever on short scale (Gibson) necks. On the Fenders, they seem to last a little longer than the EXL's, but not long enough to justify the price.
    The Les Pauls love these things, just in case you know anybody who'se stuck with one of those.

dbrian66, TEXINGA and drewcp like this.
  8. brians

brians Squier-Nut

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Dds for me don't work at all. On my acoustics and electrics, they lose colour very quickly, Ernie ball strings stay bright and shiny, maybe it's just me , but I won't buy dds again.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

9. Tundrawalker00

Tundrawalker00 Squier Talker

May 3, 2018
    Ludington, MI
    I like the 9s and 10s I've tried of NYXL. Just a little different feel and sound from the XL D'Adds. To my hands it almost feels like a little less string tension. Tuning stability is excellent. I'm back and forth in my preference between 9s and 10s (and yes, I tried 9.5s) and the NYXL 10s are very pleasing to me.

10. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    What is also interesting with that program imho is that they collect old strings in order to recycle them. To my knowledge, they only do this in the USA/North America though. I wish they would expand it.

11. Biddlin

Biddlin Squier Talker

Apr 15, 2019
    SACRAMENTO. Ca usas
    I switched from Ernie Ball about 2 years ago and have been very pleased with their longevity, feel and tone. No rubbery chemical feel like some coated strings.
    I use the 9-42s on my Gibsons. I think they are worth the money.

TEXINGA and Tundrawalker00 like this.
  12. Biddlin

Biddlin Squier Talker

Apr 15, 2019
    SACRAMENTO. Ca usas
    I get almost twice as much life out of them. 40-50 hrs as opposed to 20-25hrs.

TEXINGA and Tundrawalker00 like this.
  13. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I've been a GHS Boomers guy for decades with my basses and I used them on my guitars when I had them. I think it might be time to branch out and try some different brands.

TEXINGA likes this.
  14. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
  15. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Nut

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
    Is this a good price or can you get them for a better price?

Thanks for your input.

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-DAD-NYXL11493P

16. LDS714

LDS714 Squier-Meister

Oct 23, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    I'm guessing the OP is talking about bass strings.

17. brians

brians Squier-Nut

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Same, on my acoustics ,EB Earthwoods.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

TEXINGA and squierTony like this.
  18. offsetj

offsetj Squier Talker

Jun 5, 2019
    Indianapolis, IN
    Totally agree on the short scale. I have NYXL 11s on my SG and they sound and feel great. Just the right crispness and good feel. I’ve never tried them on a Strat or Tele, where I play 10s, but I can’t imagine it wouldn’t be good.

TEXINGA likes this.
  19. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Sorry for the typo. I meant 12 sets for 40.00.

drewcp and TEXINGA like this.
  20. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    I was at a swap meet and a guy was selling 10 packs of them for $10 I bought 3- 10 packs . I never tried them before that but now I will probably put them on all my own keeper guitars :)

Biddlin, mkgearhead and TEXINGA like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice