CV Tele classic setup with 9-42s

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Davidh10, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Davidh10

Davidh10 Squier Talker

Jun 13, 2018
    Florida
    Just got one of these and had some setup questions. (this is the one with the Rosewood fretboard)
    The neck pick was DOA and the pickup switch lever was bent (probably shipping damage). I replaced the switch but the PU was still dead, so I replaced it with a Wilkinson. Both PUs are working now. I noticed that the Squier pickup had rubber pads under it and no PU height adjustment was possible. The Wilkinson has screws with springs so there is some adjustment possible. The Wilkinson also has a bar magnet across the bottom which the original did not have. The screw holes mated perfectly, which was a surprise. The PU looks too far away from the strings so I wondered what string height is recommended on this model. It is also hard to get even string spacing with this old style grooved bridge. It looks like you have to measure the distance between strings with a ruler to get it right. Is there a better bridge for this model? The guitar plays and sounds pretty good all things considered.
    Thanks!

so1om and Eddie like this.
  2. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Welcome to the forum. Post some pictures. We don't trust people from Florida.

Davey and Viking like this.
  3. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Squier Talker

May 25, 2018
    Lake View
    Is that the bridge with what looks like the threads on a machine bolt? If so, that was considered an upgrade in the 60s over the smooth brass and then steel barrels of the 50s.

There are plenty of options for saddles with single grooves as a string guide for spacing, both compensated and not, in many different materials. Better yet would be a vintage style, but 6 saddle bridge.

so1om likes this.
  4. Davidh10

Davidh10 Squier Talker

Jun 13, 2018
    Florida
    Thanks. The bridge has threads and is not smooth. What string height is normal on these?

Attached Files:

so1om likes this.
  5. Davidh10

Davidh10 Squier Talker

Jun 13, 2018
    Florida
    The new PU looks about like the old one in relation to the pickguard. Fender's measurements are like 4/64"? That sounds more like the string action height over the frets.

6. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    The string height.. what do you want it to be? Any guitar or bass I get, I do a complete setup. Typical specs are all over the internet, but by and large, a generalization.

Someone with the same model will chime in soon. Sounds like a great guitar.

Eddie likes this.
  7. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    You downgraded a ToneRider alnico V pickup to a Wilkinson ceramic bar??? why?

8. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Why? "The neck pick was DOA and the pickup switch lever was bent (probably shipping damage). I replaced the switch but the PU was still dead"

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  9. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    also a downgrade or upgrade is in who owns and what they hear. Everyone else does a ton of mods that I wouldn't do, but more power to them.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  10. Davidh10

Davidh10 Squier Talker

Jun 13, 2018
    Florida
    It was completely dead. Don't know if it was a Tone rider. How do you tell? No markings whatsoever on the cover so figured it was a cheapie.
    I mainly need to know how far the pickup cover should be from the strings for optimum sound.

Guitarmageddon and so1om like this.
  11. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Squier Talker

May 25, 2018
    Lake View
    Keep an eye on eBay...I just bought the two pickups (TCA1N and TCA1B) with the switch jack and 2 Alpha pots pulled from a butterscotch blonde CV for $30. It will be a great instant install on my 60s Dakota Red "Partscaster" build.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  12. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    The best way is to have the amp at a reasonable volume and the guitar volume and tone all the way up. All we want to do is when you have the neck pickup alone and the bridge pickup alone, that they have reasonably similar output level. In the middle it should sound, well.. together without one or the other over powering one another.

That is the starting point.

From there adjust your pickups and the tone on the guitar and the amp until you are happy with all the combinations.

There's no right and wrong.

LutherBurger and Merv_j like this.
  13. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Stock pickups in a CV are made by ToneRider - they are excellent Alnico V pickups, it's too bad it was DOA....

so1om likes this.
  14. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    To answer your question on pickup clearance between the pickup cover and strings..
    The old rule is 1 nickle under the 1st string and 2 nickles under the 6th string..While keeping the strings pressed down at the last fret..
    This is only a starting point..Then fine tune by ear til you get what pleases your ear..

DHSteeze and so1om like this.
  15. Davidh10

Davidh10 Squier Talker

Jun 13, 2018
    Florida
    The Wilkinson is a WVTN model. It appears to be alnico according to the specs. I could have gotten a Tone Rider for less on Ebay (saw one) but did not not that was what I had (knowing Squier) or had ever heard of them. No markings on the old pickup.

so1om likes this.
  16. Davidh10

Davidh10 Squier Talker

Jun 13, 2018
    Florida
    If I hold the Bass E string down at the last fret I get about 5/32" clearance between that string and the neck pickup cover. Does that sound about right? I can't raise the Neck PU anymore with out getting wobble. My humbucker guitars all look closer than that but my Strat is about that high. Just noticed this.

so1om likes this.
  17. Davidh10

Davidh10 Squier Talker

Jun 13, 2018
    Florida
    I do notice that this neck PU will not chime at the 5th fret. OK at 7th and 12th. Have to switch to middle or bridge position to get the chime to come through. Never seen this before.

so1om likes this.
  18. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Ya gotta understand, I seldom use rulers for any of my setup..Do 2 nickles measure 5/32 ?? I have no idea or interest in learning..
    I set my guitars up by sound and feel..
    All those measurements don't come out of the speakers when I play..
    Set your guitar up to sound and feel the way you like, to hell with what others want..

mbroadus and so1om like this.
  19. Davidh10

Davidh10 Squier Talker

Jun 13, 2018
    Florida
    2 nickels do measure 5/32" exactly.

so1om likes this.
  20. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Squier Talker

May 25, 2018
    Lake View
    If the pickup was a stock pickup on the classic vibe, it should have had a little sticker, underneath the foam rubber, that reads TCA1N for the neck and TCA1B for the bridge.

They aren't exactly "made by Tonerider". They are made by the same factory that also makes Tonerider to specifications that are very close but not exactly the same, as the closest equivalent Tonerider pickups.

Cloth vs. PVC, different bobbin colors, different spacers (tubing vs. foam), even the specified output is close, but not exactly the same.

But, all that negativity aside, they (the Classic Vibe pickups) when working, are some of the best pickups for the money. I don't think anyone could hear the difference between the CV's and authentic Toneriders, whatever that means.

I have the Alnico III's in my Vintage Blond CV Telecaster... Nice....