CV Duo-Sonic Demo

Discussion in 'Squier Duo-Sonic & Jagmaster' started by RoyalWe, Oct 18, 2019.

1. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    As some of you may know, I’m the proud original owner of an 08 CV Duo-Sonic, modded with a GFS lil Killer in the bridge. Well, the other day I was having some fun playing it through my MP15 and figured I’d take a video to capture the tones I was getting and figured I’d share it with you all!

The amp is also modded a little bit, with a speaker from a Fender musicmaster bass amp and a full compliment of JJ tubes

2. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing is coming...
    Sounds good and nice playing...

mb doug likes this.
  3. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Thanks! I hit my fair share of clams, but it gets the point across.

mb doug and strat_strummer like this.
  4. Gabeezlebub

Gabeezlebub Squier Talker

Feb 16, 2019
    Minnesota
    Cool! I didn't know they made a Squire Duo-Sonic!!!

mb doug likes this.
  5. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    They have a few times through out the years. Mine’s one of the most recent, the Classic Vibe. It was a short lived model as part of the initial release of the Classic Vibe series. Anymore, a fender MIM duo sonic is probably easier to find and about the same price, I would think.

6. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
  7. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    They never made a Squire one, but they did make a Squier one!

RoyalWe likes this.
  8. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

I miss my CV Duo so badly :(

RoyalWe likes this.
  9. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    I count myself pretty lucky that I still have mine, there’s been several hard times where I thought I might have had to sell it.

Robbmonster and mdparent03 like this.
  10. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

Thanks for posting. I didn't know they'd added this model.

It's from the Player series and isn't a reissue, though, as it has significant differences from an original, maple board, Desert Sand, Duo-Sonic...

- 24" scale vs. 22 1/2" scale
    - 22 frets vs. 21 frets
    - Medium jumbo frets vs vintage narrow frets
    - 6 cast saddle bridge vs. 3 Tele-style barrel saddle bridge
    - String through bridge vs. toploader bridge
    - 12(!)-screw pickguard vs. 8-screw pickguard. That thing will never fall off.
    - '59 Desert Tan vs. '55 Desert Tan

...not that I ever made a detailed study of such things when I had a '57 Musicmaster. :D

It looks like a cool player's version and should be a ton of fun. It should play a bit differently than a 24" Mustang with a whamulator tailpiece. I hope the pickups sound good. Put on a 11-50 string set and let'er rip!

RoyalWe likes this.
  11. mdparent03

mdparent03 Squier-holic

May 6, 2013
    Beaumont, CA
    I love my Duo Sonic too. Not exactly the same as the two single coil version but still so fun to play.
    IMG_20190817_081105.jpg

RoyalWe likes this.
  12. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    You are very much correct. I suppose I use the term reissue rather liberally. In my mind anything that is trying to directly invoke a specific model of the past is a reissue, not so much the historical accuracy of the thing.

13. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    If I had known, at the time I bought it, that there’s be a LPB Fender DS coming out, I probably would have held out for it haha. Nevertheless, no regrets on snagging the CV, it’s still my favorite guitar after 9 years owning it. I did pop a humbucker in the bridge on mine as well, I think it needs that bit of beefiness to contrast the single coil.

mdparent03 likes this.
  14. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

I might as well show my two Duo's. I now own neither of them The first is obviously a CV Duo. Bone stock. The second is one I built to my own preferences using parts bought from Stratosphere. Pau Ferro fretboard - a VERY tight wood. Nice guitar, the parts fit together beautifully.

The CV Duo was a beautiful-looking guitar, and almost impossible to photograph in a way that really did it justice. The original Squier promo pics back in the day made the thing look HIDEOUS!
    20160621_202638.jpg 20160621_202650.jpg 20170809_214402.jpg 20170809_214408.jpg

mdparent03 and RoyalWe like this.
  15. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Yeah, no kidding. It’s a very difficult color scheme to photograph well. You get an accurate soliciting of either the desert sand, or the gold, but so hard to get both in the same exposure setting. That red one is gorgeous! Shame you don’t have it anymore :/
    I’ve often thought the CV would look good with a rosewood neck, but I do love the maple, especially as it gets older and the poly ages a little.

mdparent03 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice