Custom shop Squier?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by bugo, Jan 18, 2012.

1. StratTuner

StratTuner Squier-Nut

Oct 5, 2010
    California
    No disagreement there! Fender had no choice but to turn to making guitars for a price "the market will bare". It might have gone out of business otherwise... Leo's vision of cheap, easily repaired guitars didn't mean they would also be profitable.... and even Leo made boutique guitars as G&L.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. stratman420

stratman420 Squier-Meister

Mar 14, 2019
    Santiago, Chile
    I would.love to design my own custom shop squier.

3. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    A Broadcaster in 1950 cost $189.50. That's $2008 in 2019 dollars. So, all you talking about Fender guitars being overpriced now, and Squiers being more in the spirit of Leo's intentions are just plain wrong. By that measure, an American Original 50's Tele at $1849 costs less than the 1950 one.

4. Squierplayer1

Squierplayer1 Squier Talker

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    I love squiers, at least the CV's. But not enough to pay several grand for one who's resale value would probably be 5-10% of the original price !

5. cliffenstein

cliffenstein Squier-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    Sandston, VA
    You're leaving out the tremendous advances in technology from your equation. Those advances in technology have massively reduced manufacturing costs. While we still like the idea of owning completely handcrafted and hand tooled instruments, we have to pay through the nose for them to do so.

Modern guitar production allows us to actually own instruments far superior to what our fathers and grandfathers owned at a fraction of the cost they had to pay for theirs.

Caddy and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  6. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-Meister

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    Good point. I was complaining to my friend about how much ticket prices for concerts today vs when we used to go back in the 70's. Well he pointed out $15 back then is equal to $60 today. It just didn't sound as much. I had to work 3 hours hours for $15 back then, today $1.25 hours for $60.

Kenneth Mountain and wonkenstein like this.
  7. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    I thought all the of Squiers on this forum were custom shop quality by virtue of the fact that everybody takes the time to set them up and mod them so they become personalized killer quality player instruments!

If it wasn't for Squier making good quality available at several price points (thereby getting more instruments into the hands of more players) we probably wouldn't still have Fender. Leo aligns with Squier for making strings, CBS buys Fender and the Squier brand. Look what Fender did after 1965..... Fender is everywhere, largely because of their decision to make Squier the 'people's guitar' - but that's just my opinion.

We've had the MIM Fender 'Squier Editions' with the bigger Fender logo on the headstock..... maybe what we need now is a big Squier logo with a smaller 'Fender Custom Shop Edition' logo. If a Squier is not a real guitar or bass, it sure has made an awful lot of real guitars and basses possible.

Yes, it should be commemorated with a Custom Shop Squier Edition!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  8. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    I don't know how much of the playing public would actually pay for a custom shop Squier though, just because the decal says Squier. And like a few have already mentioned, Squier quality is available now at price points where Fender prices used to be, mainly because of advances in production and machinery.

9. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    No, you're wrong. I f it were that reason, then American made Fender guitars (or even Mexican made ones) would be at Squier prices. The real reason is because of the cost of slave labor in China and Indonesia.

wonkenstein and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  10. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Meister

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
    I bet if you offered them enough money they would, that is a great idea, I just love rubbing my custom Squiers in the face of smug Fender users who think Squiers are for 12 year olds.

I purchase Squiers because I like to build my own (with a little help from my friends). Kind of purchasing a canvas and creating a masterpiece then sit back and watch the so called "fender" users make that face (we all know that face) when they play it and say "this is a Squier, WOW!"

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  11. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Sorry if someone already said this, but a custom shop guitar with "Squier" on the head would be a really good way to discourage theft. You'd probably also want to have them leave off any "custom shop" labels and just keep the documentation that connects the serial number to the custom work.

12. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Meister

Dec 7, 2018
    GA

""Squier" on the head would be a really good way to discourage theft." LOL

13. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Hey, I'd consider doing it. It would be fun to know I have a high-end guitar that looks like a cheap one. Also, less pressure to perform. :)

I like sleeper cars too.

wonkenstein and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  14. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Pssst. How long should we let this go on before telling them it's a seven year-old thread?

15. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

good threads never die !

TEXINGA, CVSteve, Davis Sharp and 2 others like this.
  16. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Or start new arguments lol

stratman420 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  17. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Naaagh..... it's not a good idea to stop a Squier Seven Year Itch.

18. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Sad but most likely true - the advances in production and machinery is highly dependent upon guitar factory workers under the age of 13.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice