Crate GX-15R pawn shop find

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by Cavediver, May 28, 2017.

1. Cavediver

Cavediver Squier-Nut

IMG_7133.JPG IMG_7134.JPG So my Fender Frontman 15R bedroom/practice amp died on me two weeks ago and I've been scouring CL for a replacement but everything was either junk or too big. I decided to try some of the local pawn shops as a last resort because I have never had much luck with them. At the third shop I found a like new Crate GX-15R that I decided to give a try. In the shop it sounded pretty good so I decided to buy it and $30.00 later it was mine.
    I've never owned a Crate amp before but I have to say this is a sweet sounding little amp! The clean channel is just that, very clean and crisp. The reverb is ok but I have pedals for that. Thankfully it has no hum or other background noise at all. The sound, fit and finish is much better than the Fender Frontman it replaced.
    Does anyone else have one of these? Are they all this nice or did I get lucky?

Tele56, nobucks, so1om and 3 others like this.
  2. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    seminole Oklahoma
    I don't have one like that but I've had a few that I liked.

3. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I had one just like it for a while that I got in a trade. It was a great little amp. I sold it for $50.

jefffam and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. jefffam

jefffam Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    I've never had that model, but I did/do have two vintage CR-110's. Little 10 watt jobs but with a 10" speaker. Nice tones. I made the mistake of leaving them at a guys house we were trying to get something of a group together. He let his son blow both of them up. He denied it of course, but I had had both over 5 years, no issues, none. A couple nights at his house and both blown up. Karma will get you....his son blew up the fathers amp next, LOL.

I have a problem of no reputable amp shops in the area. I know of a good tube amp shop but all they work on is factory full tube amps, no hybrids, conversions or solid state. I am beginning to get a collection of amps needing repair.

Davey, Cavediver and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  5. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I had the bass version (BX-15R), straight, clean amplification, you could not make it distort. Solid as a rock, and built like one. But 'meh' in the tone department.

Cavediver and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  6. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I stalk crate amps in my area - you got a great amp ! I had at least 6 of them over the last three years. GX-15's, 15r's GX-65's - they are all workhorses ! If you like what you bought, wait till you connect a 12" cab underneath it - then you'll really love it. light years ahead of Front man's.

they love the pedals - have a great clean "tube sound" channel. use able distortion and reverb
    and a speaker out jack. There's a GX-15 local right now for 20.00 - I'm going to grab it and flip it - I'm not in a hurry because nobody knows how nice these are so it will be there when I need it. Not all Crates are great - but a lot of them are ! My living room rig has a GX900H sitting on top of a Yamaha 4 x 12 cab - reverb is disconnected - I use a pedal. Great full sound ! If you see a GFX-15 or 20 or 65 - try to play out of it - it's Crate's version of DSP effects - yet another great head / amp !

you scored ! Congrats !

7. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Somewhere along the late 80s early 90s GC were putting a lot of eggs in one basket and had tons of Crate brand amps to unload whereby oddly creating this image/perception of them being cheap or inferior. (at least to a lot of circles my circles connect with)

In reality (and not addressing any particular model of theirs), they are quite solid and dependable, but in general some really shine and others are alright, none are really horrible -by then you are getting into the subjective and personal tastes.

I myself would prefer the Fender tone (having a 25r, 212r and old vibro champ & musicmaster), but for replacing a 15r it will do well. You can always keep a look out for little Fenders and trade this, keep it, etc. You really can't go wrong.

Enjoy!

8. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    What guitar and pedal(s) are you using?​

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  9. Cavediver

Cavediver Squier-Nut

The Crate is just a bedroom / grandsons practice amp. My main amps are a Peavey USA Envoy 110 (40w with 10" Eminence speaker) and a Peavey Vypyr 30 with 12" Blue Marvel.
    Guitars?
    Two Fender Mustangs, Fender Jaguar, Peavey USA Predator, Epiphone SG G400 and the first electric guitar I got new in 1965, a USA KAPA Continental (never has nor will leave my hands until the long dirt nap).
    Pedals?
    Too many to list and most never get used

Tele56, Kenneth Mountain and so1om like this.
  10. Eddie

Eddie Squier-holic

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I have the same amp. I found it while scouring through my parents' basement a few months ago.

I need to go through my parents' basement more thoroughly ... I wouldn't be surprised if there were some more nice surprises down there ... like a 1986 ProCo RAT pedal.

11. Tele56

Tele56 Squier-Meister

Jul 22, 2012
    AZ
    A few months ago I was looking for a small, portable amp for informal jam sessions. Came across a used (nearly new) Crate GFX-15. Replaced the stock speaker with a Celestion 815 which transformed a decent portable amp into a great sounding portable amp. For a SS amp it takes pedals very well.

Kenneth Mountain, Cavediver and so1om like this.
  12. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Nice then you don't have to carry a external 12" cab ! I really like the GX / GFX series !

Tele56 likes this.
  13. Cavediver

Cavediver Squier-Nut

So that new Celestion speaker made a big and noticeable difference? I might look into that although it sounds pretty good now on cleans.

Tele56 likes this.
  14. Tele56

Tele56 Squier-Meister

Jul 22, 2012
    AZ
    LOL! No, no more external cabinets or stacks for me!

15. Tele56

Tele56 Squier-Meister

Jul 22, 2012
    AZ
    If I remember correctly the speaker was around $30....more than the amp!

16. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Crate gets kind of a bad rap but I have liked most things of theirs I have owned. I think their weak point is the speakers. I have flipped a few of the small practice amps.

I currently have two, a BX200 bass head and just last night got a G-60 combo delivered that I won on GW. It came with a Celestion 12" speaker and spring reverb!. Sounds pretty dammed good. Funny but I won it accidently and was actually expecting one of their smaller amps.

so1om and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  17. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    The speakers are were they are lacking - they must figure with a ext jack - you can always connect to better speaker. Some of the nicer / larger combos came with better speaker options. like your new / used combo ! I had a G65 and a 40 watt with two eights ( didn't like that one )

Congrats on GW Surprise ! lol

Tele56 likes this.
  18. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Us old guys can still carry a single 12" cab for the sake of tone ?

Tele56 likes this.
  19. johntrem

johntrem Squier Talker

Jun 1, 2012
    cuyahoga falls, ohio
    Picked one of these up for my daughter at GC just last week. Payed a whopping $9.99. Works fine.

Kenneth Mountain and Cavediver like this.
  20. ksandbergfl

ksandbergfl Squier-Meister

Sep 7, 2015
    I've had two small Crate amps, and both amps had really nice clean channels, very Fender-y sounding.

Tele56 and Kenneth Mountain like this.