Craigslist Scam of the Day

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by wes0121, Aug 30, 2018.

1. wes0121

wes0121 Squier-Meister

Sep 19, 2016
    USA
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Taurus and Photobug57 like this.
  2. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    1 of 4 images.. Sure they're not selling 4 guitars?

squierbilly and wes0121 like this.
  3. vlxerdon

vlxerdon Squier-Nut

Dec 31, 2014
    Coastal Georgia
    Considering he thinks he has humbucker pick ups,it seems quite possible he paid $675 for it. o_O;):confused:

4. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Nut

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Man it is a Squier, Bargain price so that is!...lool

wes0121 likes this.
  5. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    wow, why don't I ever find deals like this???

An Affinity Tele for $500 - that is a STEAL! :confused:

jamminfool and wes0121 like this.
  6. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Here's a fun fact: I bought my 1983 SQ Stratocaster brand new from Guitar Center. It was $169, I likely have the receipt somewhere and also the Guitar Center ad. They had rows and rows of them.

I know I sold my Global Les Paul Jr. copy for $45 and my minibike for $50. Then I made the rest up in extra chores and work. I know it was $169 or so because, man.. I had that number as a target for a couple months until I saved enough.

Yet I came across a gent online that paid well over $400 for his, new, in Nashville at the same time -and had a photo of the receipt to prove it!

I know for SURE there is no way I paid over $200 because that was a ton of money for me back then, so any more was out of the question. Also, the most I ever paid for a single instrument was $625 for the MIJ Bass VI RI, $400 each for the Gibson ES-330 and the Rick 360-12.

So how is it that someone paid over 2X the going rate? Wow.

7. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    It can and does happen..Unknowing buyer meets a con artist dealer and there ya have it..
    I was out checking out small stores for the first time one day and found this little store that had maybe 30 or so guitars and specialized in lessons.
    Everything they had was way over priced..I spotted a nice 12 string that I would like to have..
    When I tried to make a deal they cut me off with "that's the price"..
    They were glad to see me leave lol..

8. Photobug57

Photobug57 Squier-Meister

Jan 11, 2018
    Hebron, KY
    Taurus, wes0121 and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  9. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Meister

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    That's why people should post screenshots alongside the links - not only then there's evidence allowing to trace the guitar or seller in case he/she's letting the negative attention to cool down just to put it back up later on, but also the joke can be seen by generations to come around here... :D

10. According to your avatar, I'm 9 years older and in 1972 (at the tender age of 13) , there's not a snow balls chance in hell I could have afforded $169 for a guitar.
    The economy did shift considerably upward by the early 80's, including astronomical interest & mortgage rates.

Cheers, Barrie.

wes0121 and so1om like this.
  11. Gip111

Gip111 Squier Talker

Dec 10, 2014
    nj
    I'm not getting this and maybe I missed something.... how is someone asking 500 bucks for a Squier a con artist or a scam?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  12. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    It is not, but it is not very honest trying to sell a 200 dollar Affinity for 500 either.

Taurus likes this.
  13. Gip111

Gip111 Squier Talker

Dec 10, 2014
    nj
    I'm sorry but there's nothing dishonest about it. I'm in the camp that any item is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

14. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I agree and disagree. It's a $200 guitar. If someone (who has internet) wants me to pay $14 for a $200, who am I to argue?

If someone is asking $250 for a $200 guitar, likely they are hedging to get as much as they can without going below it's fair market value.

But as this person has internet and is able to post pics and all that, they can search the honest value of it.

I think where it bugs me is, well, they are trying to outright get WAY more than what it's worth. And maybe they were taken..

And by the same token, if a person has the Internet and they can find the craiglist ad, they can also do their research for what the value is.

So.. I guess it's that I wouldn't do it myself, buyer beware and all that.

15. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    That's what I mean! I sold stuff and worked my buns off to get that $169, that's why that number is so ingrained in my brain. And I would not have believed that other guy, but he posted a pic of the receipt, dated, with serial, model and all that -and the price.!!!!

I still have that guitar!

16. Gip111

Gip111 Squier Talker

Dec 10, 2014
    nj
    Not long ago I purchased an American Tele near mint with case for 200, seller was happy and so was I, did I make a dishonest purchase?
    I think the dishonesty comes into play when an item is misrepresented... fake logo etc.

SquierTap, Loin Lover and so1om like this.
  17. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    A friend of mine who was down on his luck -got laid off, he had no idea his old ES-125 was worth what it was. The kluson tuners were crumbling. He wanted to know if I'd pay a couple hundred for it. I couldn't do it.

He wasn't tech savvy at all. I gave him a bit of info and he was happy to realize he could make some bills..

If I didn't know the guy? Well????

jamminfool and Loin Lover like this.
  18. wes0121

wes0121 Squier-Meister

Sep 19, 2016
    USA
    He claimed it be a fender and claimed to pay $675 for it. When I emailed him he said he paid $675 at guitar center. He is lying and misrepresenting the value of the guitar, hoping to take advantage of someone. I enjoy calling people out on that. He also claimed it to be in perfect condition and it was far from that. I thought people here might appreciate the absurdity of what he was doing. Scam, con artist, fraud, misrepresentation...potato, po-ta-to

SquierTap, jamminfool and so1om like this.
  19. wes0121

wes0121 Squier-Meister

Sep 19, 2016
    USA
    Ask and ye shall receive...
    Untitled.jpg Untitled1.jpg Untitled2.jpg

jamminfool and Shaytan like this.
  20. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Anybody notice the little black knob is missing from the selector switch? I'd ask for a discount of ... say at least $300 or so to replace it. LOL.

Taurus, jamminfool, Viking and 6 others like this.