Coolest mod ideas on your wishlist

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Shaytan, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Meister

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    It's no secret many folks around here are all into guitar DIY, not to speak some of the craziest projects I've seen were from fellow Squier lovers. So, would you like to share some of the cool ideas you're yet to attempt? This could be an interesting opportunity to share (and, perhaps, receive) new ideas and advice, too. ;)

From my side, I've been looking for an opportunity to attempt a Tru-Oil finish on a neck for about two years. I currently know of a local store that sells it and so I'd just need a good platform for a first try (that friend whose Silvertone got the stock electronics from my SE transplanted into has been telling me about the idea of repainting it in the Summer, so that could be a good opportunity) and, if it goes well, repeat the process in my SE. Speaking of butchering necks, I've been curious about scalloped fretboards ever since I've first heard about Steve Vai's JEM - could I find a cheapo guitar (even better if reminiscent of Malmsteen's Strat) and I'd attempt to do such thing, only to get a feel of it.

Something which I know many of you have done already would be to build my own guitar... or the body to begin with, at least. While this wouldn't technically count, my father-in-law has recently built a cedar body for his old bass, and given he can basically access these woods and machinery from his job, depending of his availability, I've been considering to ask him to route a body for me if (more like when) I find an interesting neck selling for cheap (or a cheap guitar with a fooked up body) and I'd take care of the contouring, sanding and finishing of it, as well as putting the whole thing together - may be certainly a fun project to attempt!

SquierTap and dbrian66 like this.
  2. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    I’m in the same boat, I want to build my own bass from scratch. I’ve got most of what it takes to do it, too. All I’m missing is the time and motivation. I want to make a bass inspired by the Squier 51, tele bass with an angled neck single coil pickup and a bridge humbucker.

SquierTap, Shaytan and dbrian66 like this.
  3. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I want to try out the Armstrong Blender Mod.

4. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    The tru oil refinish is easy. Definitely give that a try. I love the feel of the neck after it’s done as well. The scalloping, that’s a little more scary! I want to play a scalloped neck before I try to make one. I would be afraid I would pull every note sharp. :(

SquierTap, Shaytan and Afrika61 like this.
  5. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    This is a mod that I want to do, but am hesitant because I doubt myself. I might give it a go this summer. I have everything I need, just need to do it. 223030D8-F09E-4C58-BDBE-EE374AF98DAD.jpeg

6. jvin248

jvin248 Squier-Meister

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

What I was working on last fall before the shop got too cold.
    Donor neck (for now). Pine and poplar body, masonite pickguard.
    The body in the video has a fabric top on it now.

[​IMG]

rbh32, wonkenstein, SquierTap and 5 others like this.
  7. otma

otma Squier-Nut

Nov 4, 2012
    Owen, Wisconsin
    I want to make a 9 string guitar, with single strings on the lower 3 and doubled strings like a 12 string on the upper 3. This provides some of the lushness of a 12 string while preserving the tight low end riffing and power chording for rock styles. All the 9's I know of are pricey guitars, like Minarik. I believe it should be possible to convert a standard 3 saddle top loading Tele bridge to 9 string by drilling additional string holes, and then use a 12 string nut, or one cut from scratch.

8. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Meister

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Indeed, I've been tempted to get my hands dirty and refinish a neck with Tru-Oil, but my biggest limitation is living in an apartment, so I'd either take care of the sanding in that friend's backyard, or go to my grandmother's house and do that on the backyard's workbench.

About the scalloped neck, I've been spending the last couple of years or so developing a light fretting hand touch (quite hard when I've grown the bad habit from playing the electric with sky high action, as well as the classic which by default has high action as well), but by now I pretty much play 9s on all my electrics with the action as low as it can go and a very light touch, just enough for the strings to press the frets without the notes dying out - quite an useful thing to reduce hand fatigue and to play faster licks.

So, I guess I could easily adapt to it, also seems quite cool to do bends and vibrato by precisely controlling the pressure you put on the strings, just like on traditional Asian music - but the idea for the project would be a guitar cheap enough so that it wouldn't be a huge loss if things went wrong and that I could make the money back selling the remaining parts, that I'd like to keep if it played nice (I'm also pondering over buying a cheap bolt-on that I could disassemble to fit into an handbag and take with me on vacation, so that would be a 2-in-1), but that could also be sold easily if it didn't worked out for me after all (hence the idea of something Malmsteen-esque).

SquierTap and dbrian66 like this.
  9. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-Nut

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago
    This is along my target too. I love SGs, but after 30+ years of playing almost exclusively Strats & Teles, any neck profile too different from Fender's modern C will hurt my hand after a short while. There's something about the shape of the "shoulders" on a thin D or Wizard-style neck that hits me in a bad way. So: logical answer= SG + Fender Neck. (Of course ignoring the potential disaster of a crazy scale length).

Recently I did a pre-test. I took a hard tail bullet strat and did an HH build with Gib pups and such. It's okay but not great. If I imagine the differences of a mahogany body and ToM bridge, I think I'd get a bit closer. I'm not sure how much closer.

Or maybe I should consider getting a G-400 and just reshaping the neck, and then repainting. Doing that well by hand sounds like inviting disaster though.

Yes, this is what keeps me off the streets.

Davey and dbrian66 like this.
  10. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    GREAT idea, man... Get on that!

wonkenstein and BlueSquirrel like this.
  11. TomL

TomL Squier-Nut

I’m just about to embark on a mod project. A number of years ago Fender brought out the MIJ Kurt Cobain sig Mustangs with the Seymour Duncan JB Humbucker in the Bridge. I really wanted one in Dark Lake Placid Blue with the Sonic Blue Racing stripes, but at the time I was a bit strapped and it was (slightly) out of my price range, so, in a rare moment of fiscal common sense, I resisted. A couple of years ago I got myself a Squier VM Mustang in Vintage White, followed up a couple of weeks later with a Bullet Mustang. I love the bullet for what it is, but it’s not a true Mustang. The VM is nice enough, but I can’t quite get that Nirvana-y vibe out of it, which is why I wanted one in the first place, but I’ve figured it’s decent enough quality, so I’m going to have the Bridge routed for a humbucker - resprayed in lake placid blue, add racing stripes and gat a new pearliod pickguard made for it.

SquierTap and stratman420 like this.
  12. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    You have to try this idea - you know it will work and you're going to end up tweaking a few things to get your string spacing where you like it. Go for it!

13. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    I'm in the process of partially un-Floyding a Squier Stagemaster V4 and setting it up so the trem and action behaves a bit more like a PRS with the 2 point Mann floating tremolo. I'm keeping the Floyd tremolo but removing the Floyd locking nut entirely and rebuilding the nut slot to accommodate a regular GraphTech nut and I'll install locking tuners. If the Stagemaster was primo when I bought it I would have left it alone and played it as it. But when I got it, it was nothing but a husk, all the parts were out of it, the previous owner had taken the finish off the neck and the truss rod nut was stripped.

14. rbh32

rbh32 Squier-Meister

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    Waiting on parts to come in so I can build my Mini Tele with P-90s.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice