Cool Tool!

Discussion in 'Home Recording and Studios' started by duceditor, Jun 1, 2019.

1. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I admit to be a lazy recording/video maker. I typically just pop my trusty iPhone on a stand, frame myself 'selfie' style on the little screen, hit record and play. If the balance between my voice, backing-track and guitar is okay the video is okay too. But just that -- "okay."

Once again I was offered the opportunity to test a new product my Donner's litle sister company, MouKey. This time it was for what the company calls a "Studio Recording Microphone Stand.

The box the unit comes in shows the mic sort of floating in space. What the stand, which uses a clamp instead of a base, is connected to is not included in the photo. But I expect the designers had things like tables and desks in mind. (Useful, for instance, for a voice blogger.) But I saw it with a different use in mind. This one:

MoyKey MMs-1.jpg

The stand worked really well here. Almost as if it were designed with exactly this use in mind.

The mic in the photo is another MouKey product. It is wireless. It sounds great.

Like most Donner and MouKey products the price is amazingly low. I got it for free as an official "tester" but I'd quickly have paid the $12.88 MouKey sells 'em for on Amazon.

Cool tool!

-don

2. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    is the mic wireless?

3. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-Nut

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Seems like you'd get a lot of sound transfer from the amp body to the mic as it doesn't seem well isolated. Has that been a challenge?

squierbilly and duceditor like this.
  4. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Yup.

In truth I'd not thought of that. It might indeed be a problem, at least at higher levels.

MouKey, though, did think of it. In the photos they show an elastic suspended mic, not the hard contact mic clip.

-don

squierbilly and TimTheViking like this.
  5. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-Nut

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Just noted your Line 6 amp. For some reason they seem to find their way into my music room. A Spider III 75, a Spider Valve MKII and Micro Spider. I really like the Valve but it's way too much amp for me at 40 watts. The attenuator helps a lot.

6. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Oh, yeah! And I love the reactions it gets when i use it on videos. The gleefully ignorant "What a POS! Why don't you get a ____" comments.

Line 6 largely invented the modeling amp concept and in so doing changed the world for guitar players. Pretty amazing it was, too, considering the cost of computer power back when the concept was struggling for acceptance.

My DuoVerb was the company's attempt to go upscale/"boutique." Brilliant in every way apart from one: Few people were willing to shell out over a thousand bucks for an amp designed to model another amp that could be bought for sometimes less money than that. Thus the DuoVerb very quickly disappeared from the market, but not before I and a few other lucky chaps got them for a small fraction of their original price.

The amp is really, really cool and built so that it wears its "upscale" out where it shows. Beautiful cabinet. Top end everything. Amazing two-amps at once capabilities. But its BIG thing -- what should have, and would have (if the price had been lower) sold it was that when it "models" an amp it really models that amp. Sound-wise, yes. But also control-wise. That is the DuoVerb's controls become just what the controls on the original amp were -- they react just like those on the modeled model.

The downside of that is that have to learn the quirkiness of some amps. Early Voxes for instance where the controls worked the opposite of what many players had come to see as "normal." Or some Marshalls where the control appeared to be defective -- having NO effect from one to three. (I owned one of those amps and yes, the DV had its quirkiness down to a T.)

The name "DuoVerb reveals another rather cool quality. "Duo" as in "two." The amp has to complete sets of controls and can be two amps at once. either stereo or blended.

I listen and read people's snooty comments and laugh. "Bet you never played one!"

Nice to know there is another person here on S-T that has realized hw good Line 6s can be.

BTW, the Line 6 name is now owned and used by Yamaha. It is no longer the small upstart company it once was.

(Did you ever hear where the name "Line 6" came from? Cool little story there! :)

-don

Jazzmaster and DuoVerb  WEB.jpg

BeepBoop, squierbilly and wickedtools like this.
  7. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I really like the idea of this. Basically a cabgrabber but more architect lamp style.

I’m always open to cheaper alternatives to mounting mics on cabs. I have a DIY solution prepared, but haven’t had time to get it finished. This would be about the same cost as all the parts I bought for that project, and it’s already made!

duceditor likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice