Compensated Saddles For CV Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by jamndad, Dec 1, 2019.

1. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    How many of you have upgraded to compensated saddles? Which did you purchase? Are these the correct fit?

Screenshot_20191201-140327_Amazon Shopping.jpg

2. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Meister

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    What is compensated about them? Isn't the whole point of Tele and most other electric bridges that they are adjustable? I thought compensated saddles was an acoustic thing.

3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

When you're stuck with three saddles and you're using three plain strings and three wound, the angular cuts let you get closer to what you could get with the correct intonation of six separate saddles.

4. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Meister

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    Well
    Well, how about that? I learned something today.

Thanks Jim. I'm not a Tele guy and I'm still learning Strats. Your answer makes sense.

5. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't fit. They fit into Fender bridge plates just fine.

And they're good saddles. With 10-46 strings their compensation is dead-on.

drewcp, Caddy, Mr Bones and 1 other person like this.
  6. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

Yes I did and yes I chose the Wilkinsons.

Mr Bones, LutherBurger and jamndad like this.
  7. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-Meister

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    Quietly listenin, an takin notes.... ;)
    Gots me jus one "Affinity" Tele, Butterscotch Blone (YUM), but I have things I wanna do, make it 'Down Home, Tone to th Bone', so she fits in, here, with alla th Strats, cause she's purty much surrounded...:eek:

SquierTap and jamndad like this.
  8. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I have Wilkinson compensated saddles installed on my Fender FSR Mexican BSB Tele. They intonate with no problem.

Mr Bones and jamndad like this.
  9. Guitar Cat

Guitar Cat Squier-Meister

Jul 29, 2018
    Spring Lake Hts, NJ
    I have these which are very adjustable. Notice how they can pivot around the center post.
    Look up Gotoh saddles.
    Fender-USA-Telecaster-Bridge-w-Gotoh-Compensated-Saddles.jpg

SquierTap, Viking, radiotech and 2 others like this.
  10. BatUtilityBelt

BatUtilityBelt Squier Talker

Dec 5, 2018
    Omaha, NE USA Earth
    I just played <<--- that CV tele for about 90 minutes with its original saddles, and honestly I have no intonation issues with them. Having said so, I think the important thing if replacing them is to make sure they are big brass saddles to keep that tone. The ones @Guitar Cat references above look very interesting - never saw those before.

SquierTap and jamndad like this.
  11. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

I have the Wilkinson compensated ones and they are the best deal around. However, they are now machined differently from their older versions. I got some buzzing where the strings broke over the hard machined edge of the barrels. On the older ones, this was a slightly rounded edge and there were no issues. On my new ones, I used a jewelers file to ease that sharp edge and the ringing went away.

Note these have to go on the bridge in the correct order.

One other way of compensating is with barrels that have the intonation screw hole drilled at an angle, so the barrels are not perpendicular to the screws and give the necessary stair step arrangement.

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_an...ensated_Bridge_Saddles_for_Tele_Set_of_3.html

The Gotoh ones are more than most of the others, but still only about $26.

SquierTap and Mr Bones like this.
  12. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-Meister

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    Chewin on some kettle chips, sippin on a Bopper o Giunness...quietly learnin... ;)
    (Tele-Land is a new place, fer me....)

SquierTap and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  13. I used a Wilkinson on my VM Telecaster.

DSC06862 (2).jpg

Cheers, Barrie.

SquierTap and Mr Bones like this.
  14. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I did Wilkinson’s on a Peavey Tele, did the job nicely.

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  15. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier-Meister

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    I have Joe Barden's on my AVRI '52 Hot Rod.

16. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    I've used Wilkinson Bridges on both my Tele builds, and they intonate just fine. Pretty much the same bridge, standard ash-tray, so they should work with your CV.

17. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    Honestly, I play as a hobby, only. I have no real reason, other than to tinker, I suppose. I've been kind of stagnant, for awhile. When I tinker, I tend to play more. It's a sickness, or something. LOL!!

18. I'd call you an enthusiast. Nothin' wrong with that! Tinker on brother!
    Cheers, Barrie.

jamndad and BatUtilityBelt like this.
  19. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

I don't have any Fender/Squier Teles with ashtray bridges. Fender ones are sometime astoundingly crummy quality, with jagged edges in the corners. Compare the one below to the Wilkinson above.

Fendertelebridge.jpg

The Wilkinson seems to be a thicker material, and the chrome actually looks better. Plus it is only a few bucks more than just the compensated saddles alone.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=221693966058

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    SquierTap likes this.
  20. archetype

archetype Squier-Nut

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    IMO the cheap, thin, stamped sheet metal Fender bridge is a vital component of Telecaster tone. The thicker bridge plates often reduce the twang.

BuddyLee, Michael7 and CVSteve like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice