Collaborative Recording? Who would be interested?

Discussion in 'Home Recording and Studios' started by Bassman96, May 25, 2019.

1. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Soon I will have my recording setup put together and had a thought (dangerous I know). I thought it might be kinda fun and interesting to start a long distance collaborative recording jam session with some folks here on ST. My thought is that since nearly everyone uses Reaper or atleast has access to it.... The raw track files could be uploaded to a central google docs repository for folks to save and add their track to so on and so forth. I think it would be cool to hear how the different interpretations come together and end up. The logistics and details would need to be hashed out (new base project each month, master with multiple versions or one main version that is simply added to etc etc). Who would be interested in starting that type of thing? Kinda like the riff raff posts but more produced and collaborative.

Thoughts?

ElRey67 likes this.
  2. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    ST folks did a couple of these type projects last year - it was a TON of fun!!

I'd be in to do some vocals if this one gets some traction :)

http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/second-st-recording-jam-project-dont-drop-the-ball-shhhh.131220/

http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/third-st-recording-jam-project-dont-drop-the-ball-shhhh.135281/

ElRey67 likes this.
  3. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    This actually goes on here quite a bit from what I understand... Someone will start it, and then people basically sign up... Like this person will volunteer to do guitar, this other person will do bass, another person does drums, someone will write lyrics and someone will sing...
    I think it's a great idea... I'm knee deep in recording my debut album (even using Reaper, lol) or I'd jump in on this one... Well, that and I don't have reliable internet for my computer, anyway...
    However, I'm a songwriter with at least 3 or 4 albums album of good stuff... Not tryin to brag, but I've shown quite a bit of my stuff on here and had really positive feedback... But the point is, I'll be more than happy to contribute lyrics, as long as I can hear the music... And of course, I live the idea of it being a collaboration, so even if you guys wanna change the lyrics I submit (IF I do) that's totally cool...

And I'll leave one of my demos as an example of my stuff...

ElRey67 likes this.
  4. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-holic

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    Good idea. I can always ruin it!!!:cool:

ElRey67 likes this.
  5. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Thanks for the links. Those were pretty cool but I was thinking for this a bit more collaboration and back and forth be the different players would be fun.

I still need to build my interface and tweak a few things here before I am truely set to record anything but was doing a general feeler post and brainstorming thing to see how we would like to sructure it. Could be fun... Could be a disaster lol.

Maybe we would have a master drum track and then have different groups go off that to come up with a couple final products and see how the interpretations differ or something along those lines. I love seeing how different peoples artistic interpretations differ like that... Feedback, thoughts, ideas...annnnd go!

ElRey67 likes this.
  6. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I would be interested in participating

ElRey67 likes this.
  7. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    I was always interested in this because my son and one of my best friends live in PA. My son is a drummer and Jason is a lefty guitarist. So i wanted to do this with them, I just don't have the technical know how to make the collaborations work. I have a Focusrite 2i4 interface, a MacBook pro, Ableton Live 9 and a few mics but they don't have what I have. So my brain got rattled when I tried to research how to use different recording methods/software so that they can record their tracks over mine.
    I failed to get that going.
    I hate myself a bit because I've had this stuff for a while and still have not sat down and figured it all out to record. I guess i got intimidated and never followed thru.

But this sounds like a great idea.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice