C'mon Gibson....Seriously? Jeeze

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Hoss, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Hoss

Hoss Squier-holic

Dec 20, 2009
    McGill, Nevada
    My first Gibson, the 2019 LP DC Junior in worn cherry. Boy was I proud! After 5 months, I noticed the neck was warped badly. Unplayable really. Probably happened before the 5 months. Since it was past MF's 45 day return policy, I had to return it to Gibson in Nashville for repair/replacement.

They did send a prepaid FedEx label, that's the only good thing. According to the tracking info, they received it on March 4th. They've had it for 4 weeks. I've never heard ANYTHING from them. I don't know if it made it without further damage, or if someone from FedEx stole it and they got an empty box (that's happened to me before), I don't know if it's fixable or not...warped neck...I don't think so. I don't know how they will contact me about it....email? phone? Will I ever see my guitar again?

This is ridiculously lousy customer service. I'm very concerned. The least they could do is let me know they received it. Besides, if Gibson is making such wonderful guitars, why is their repair department so busy that they tell you up front 4 to 6 weeks?

This will be my last Gibson. Maybe mine is gone for good. I might never know.

kenneth, SquierTap, so1om and 8 others like this.
  2. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    Send him another email and say what’s up bro‘s ?where is my awesome Gibson ? are you guys too busy making $4K custom shop guitars and don’t care about my guitar that’s fugged up from crappy craftsmanship?
    I’d keep sending emails and let them know you’re truly upset. This is obviously a build flaw and demand replacement or money back. They shouldn’t even think twice. The internet is a powerful thing and there are hundreds of guitar forums,, if you know what I mean

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Merv_j, SquierTap, cool gouhl and 8 others like this.
  3. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

If you provide the contact info you used perhaps someone can better help with alternatives. I trust you've already posted to various Gibby sites.

4. dlew919

dlew919 Squier Talker

Apr 22, 2018
    Belmore
    I hope that it didn’t happen but surely Gibson would have contacted you if the box wa empty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. That is truly some piss poor customer service. Unfortunately it's becoming a standard.
    I hope everything works out Hoss. Cheers, Barrie.

6. Jmv668

Jmv668 Squier-Nut

Feb 21, 2017
    Chile
    Gibson his only the name now..

7. GregNZ

GregNZ Squier Talker

Oct 28, 2010
    New Zealand
    If it was my guitar I would telephone Gibson and talk to the head honcho in the repair department and see what the story is...and give them a bit of a hurry up and a kick in the rear end...

I hope everything works out for you...

Greg S.

8. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    It’s unfortunate, but this has become the norm for a lot of places. Customer service is becoming a thing of the past. But, the old saying “the squeaky wheel gets the grease” still stands true. I have found that constant contact from me, like every few days, works pretty good to speed things along. But stay polite and “understanding”. If you call them up with an attitude every day, it might not go as smooth.

But in the end, I’m sure Gibson will make it right for you. I hope it’s sooner than later!

SquierTap, Dave M, Shaytan and 6 others like this.
  9. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Nut

Sep 8, 2018
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    It sounds like someone’s messing you about and stolen your guitar, I’m sorry to say. I would be angry too and wouldn’t deal with them again. I also don’t think the neck problem would be able to be fixed, but if it gets like that after just 5 months, forget them. Yeah every brand make some bad guitars and noone consistently makes great ones (are exceptions of course) but especially at the price of Gibsons you’d expect better

It’s a shame they’re like this

10. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Ouch!

I've not posted about this and will save the details for when the process is complete, but oh does that represent a different experience than I am having with Supro.

My 2016-manufactured (but less than six month old) Black Holiday developed a fingerboard/fret issue. I emailed Supro and within hours got responses from three people as my concerns were passed along. The guitar was on the bench within 3 days of their receiving it and yesterday I got an email asking for my telephone number so they could call me.

Fifteen minutes later I got a call from the head of their entire guitar department. He was working on the guitar himself since 2016 Americana models (now out of production) were known to have a problem (which was corrected [using this man's redesign] in 2017) -- and he right now had the time to do it. An obvious joy for him from his typical desk duties.

He went over every aspect of what he had done (the very real challenges faced) thus far but wanted to know my personal setup preferences. Preferred string height particularly.

I was SO impressed!

-don

SquierTap, mb doug, corn and 10 others like this.
  11. Matt Shevell

Matt Shevell Squier-Meister

Feb 5, 2018
    New York
    Ugh, that sucks

Did you try the Better Business Bureau?

Good luck bro

12. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    How did it get warped? I have handled/owned a ton of guitars and none of them ever warped and I don't baby any of them....I think that despite MF's policy, they should have replaced it for you. As far as Gibson Co. goes, I think they are on the starboard side of a sinking ship and are probably a bit disorganized compared to what they once were...GL with your venture, and sorry for your separation anxiety...

13. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    I wouldn't give up on your guitar quite so easy, hound them with emails.

14. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Nut

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Yikes! What is the issue?

15. porkpie

porkpie Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2015
    Idaho
    Very sorry to hear. You need to start making a few phone calls for sure.

SquierTap, Hoss, Kaffeine_oo7 and 2 others like this.
  16. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Meister

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    I don't mean to diminish your bad experience with Gibson service; it certainly isn't very professional of them to keep you in the dark. No matter the model, a Gibson guitar is a fairly hefty investment and for them not to give you an answer about the status of your guitar is unsatisfactory.

Also it's quite surprising to me. I have had two positive experiences from the Gibson repair department. First one was I had a wraparound bridge on an Epi Special that I was having problems with. I sent an email via their website and within a week I had a brand new Epiphone bridge in my mailbox. The second one was similar. I have a Gibson LP Tribute, which ship with the pickup selector ring uninstalled (can't say "p0k3r chip" on the forum, apparently o_O). Mine wasn't in the case candy, so I requested a new one. Also, showed up in my mailbox within a week. No questions asked.

I understand that the things I wrote them about are nowhere near as important or major a repair as your warped neck. I'm not trying to compare them, just surprised at how crappy your experience has been. I hope they get it straightened out soon.

Good luck!

SquierTap, rorygman, Hoss and 2 others like this.
  17. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    What I was told is that on some of the early instruments the neck mounting bolt attachment point in the body was cut too deep. If that was so and the bolt was snugged up tight it would put pressure on the fingerboard and possibly distort it.

That was what happened on my guitar.

Preventing that possibility was the purpose in the change to the later production models.

They have replaced the neck on mine and if I understood correctly used washers as well as a shorter bolt for one of the two.

With instruments where you can see the hex bolt without removing any caps at the neck bolt-0n places this is apparently not a concern.

-don

Kaffeine_oo7 likes this.
  18. Kaffeine_oo7

Kaffeine_oo7 Squier-Meister

Feb 23, 2019
    Ohio
    Growing up in Nashville, Gibson was a household name - perhaps more than it is anywhere else. People were proud of their Gibsons. I had a ways wanted one and finally last year I got one. Nothing extravagant, just a LP Faded in cherry. I found one at GC and went to try it out. I loved the feel of it but noticed it had some “issues”. But the price was right so I took it home. It had that red lacquer all over the sides of the fretboard, the fretboard was rough and seemed as if it had only gotten sanded with a piece of 60 grit just to be shaped like a fretboard, the pots and switch were already scratchy, the nut slots were full of what can only be considered tool marks and caused binding, I really wasn’t crazy about the sound - that stupid PCB board in the control cavity needed to go. And the hum was atrocious. Their “shielding” was to cover the back of the PCB board in copper. Long story short, I had it rewired/shielded and fixed everything myself. I know it was a lower end Gibson but c’mon now... I did call their customer service about the pots and switch and they had me take it to Sweetwater (closest Gibson authorized repair shop to me) and have them look it over under warranty. I just had Sweetwater rip all the guts out and rewire with 500k pots and orange drops on my own dime (I wasn’t wanting to learn wiring on that guitar, though looking back it may have been the perfect guitar to learn on). The guitar is actually my favorite guitar I own now but it took some doing. Hopefully Gibson gets their head out of their hind-ends. Other people aren’t as forgiving as I am. And I was only that forgiving because of where I’m from and the history behind it. But maybe that’s part of the problem. I let them slide based on their past and the pride of supporting something from my hometown. And I’m not the only one. I think you did the right thing by holding them accountable. More people should do that and not be like me and let them slide. But one thing is certain, I’m not in the market for another one. It’s kinda sad that the old Se Strat I bought was better built...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    SquierTap, VealCutlet and dbrian66 like this.
  19. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    They are presently under going some big changes with the new management, I wonder how all the changes are affecting response times for things like repairs etc.?
    As I understand it, things like this are exactly why they are under new Management! To avoid returns for repairs.
    Might want to check on your guitar with a phone call. Get a real live person, let them know you too, are a person... a person who wants his guitar repaired and returned.

I personally have 5 Gibsons, all wonderful guitars (But none newer than 2004)
    And I would buy another, but I buy used :D

dbrian66, duceditor and Kaffeine_oo7 like this.
  20. Hoss

Hoss Squier-holic

Dec 20, 2009
    McGill, Nevada
    The sad part is, I'm really sure from experience that a warped neck is curtains for the set neck guitars. If they pulled the neck and replaced that, it would cost way more than just sending me a new one. How hard can it be to look at it and determine if it's fixable and ship a new one?

SquierTap, dbrian66, Davey and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice