classic vibes....they're just ridiculously good

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Squierplayer1, Jun 14, 2019 at 11:26 AM.

1. Squierplayer1

Squierplayer1 Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    I know i gush about the CV line a lot, but i need to gush some more so hang on, this will be long ! :D I have had a number of them and for ME not all are good like the thinline mahogany body. Just way too bright IMO. Or the 60s tele due to the neck being ultra thin. I couldn't deal with those, but those are subjective reasons. But man, when you find the right ones for you it's almost shocking how good they are because I have owned very expensive guitars i didn't like as much ! Take my 50s BSB tele. Got it at a pawn shop in mint condition for $200. About the same as an expensive set of pickups. It's my fav tele to date I outright LOVE that thing and i honestly mean this when i say it,....i cannot find fault with it. Now i have this 60s strat with a fret defect you surely saw my post about, Fret is installed at an angle ! So they aren't all perfect, but read on. I have tried and tried to her the defect in intonation by playing clean chords in that area of the neck (it's the 2nd fret) and i swear as crazy as it sounds it actually plays in tune and is more in tune sounding than my MIM 60s strat in some ways, high E string for example. I'm puzzled as can be about that and cannot figure out how that's possible. But that aside this thing sounds better then my MIM 60s which has been my #1 for about 20 years. As some people describe a really amazing sounding guitar, it sounds "musical" is the best way i can explain it. So much so that i am not only keeping it but i was going to try and find another CV 60s neck for it due to that fret just because looking at it bothered me. Now im not so sure and i don't even notice and think about it anymore because it's so damn good ! And i'm afraid to try another neck as good as it sounds as is.

Now here's whats even crazier. I have always changed out the pickups on every guitar i owned because i can always hear things about them i don't like, and i can always improve them and "fix" the issues i have with them. The only guitar in my memory that i preferred the stock ones was a gibson P90 Jr which i tried some boutiques in but i always came back to the stocks. Well, i have a lot of pickups in the parts drawer that i remove from guitars i sell after putting the stocks back in, and i tried them all with my CV tele and strats. Tried my fav tele neck PU in my BSB, a dimario twang king, tried 2 bridge pu's, a fender 62 custom and a Zhangbucker. What in it now? The stocks ! They just sound better, and thats unheard of for me, especially considering the 62 custom is a pickup i have loved in every tele its gone in. The 60s strat? I tried 2 sets....fender fat 50s and fender 57/62s. Whats in it now....the stocks. Again, they just sound better ! Of countless fenders i have had i don't recall one who's stock pickups i preferred. Yet here are 2 cheap guitars i bough in a row both of which have pickups i preferred greatly over other sets i loved in several other fenders. Oh, and i have a 50s CV too, and i will admit i did prefer it with my van zandts over the stock A3's. But i preferred the A3's over those 2 fender sets i tried and i do like the stock A3's a lot. In any case, i find it unreal that these dirt cheap CV's come with some of the best stock pickups i have ever heard which seem to be the perfect match for each CV. I dunno if its someone at fender or the chinese factory they were made in, but someone must have a great ear and went to lengths to insure these things came with the best pu's for them. Lastly, the 60s strat pickups are so dynamic that more then my other fender and van zandt sets the guitar cleans up better with the volume knob. I thought i was imagining that at first but nope, they really do. Amazing.

Then there's the fret work. You gotta be kidding me. I do my own fretwork and most guitars i get need some attention to get an action low enough for me. I have a left hand injury that requires i have as low an action as possible. Rarely does a stock guitar comes with frets that are leveled well enough. But every CV i have had does. I have yet to even touch the frets on any of them. I swear it's as tho they were pleked. Unheard of with the MIM stuff, even the classic series which have been my go to strats and teles for years now. Of course they are 7.25" too so that is part of it. But i still had to level most of them to get the action where i wanted. The CV necks are right at the top of the heap of necks that just feel perfect to me. Not a beefy neck person at all tho, so thats subjective. But fretwork, fret size, radius, it all ticks every box for me.

I know i gush as lot about these squires, but they are more than deserving. I don;'t like the term fanboy but i suppose i am. :D I am not sure i will want to play my MIM 60s anymore after getting this "defective" CV60s. It's as, if not more one of the most musical and pleasing sounding rosewood board strats i have owned including some high end ones like anderson. It's really a shame to put it mildly that these things have been discontinued. You can believe the new Indo line will be as good if you want, IMO there's no way with a lower price and using non traditional woods they will. All i can say is, if you have any of these gems hang onto them. And if not, get em while you can because prices on used ones are already going up and no doubt will continue to rise. The chinese CV line was IMO the best budget fender style guitars ever made. Granted, some cheap parts, but nothing that u can't replace for a few bucks leaving you with a guitar that can literally rival some of the best. Sadly, the end of an era, but so glad i have mine, and they are staying.;)

daan, TEXINGA, fattboyzz and 5 others like this.
  2. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-Meister

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Waiting for @TEXINGA to come and post some pictures LOL

So much talking about those CVs, I'll have to test one out.

3. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
  4. kenneth

kenneth Squier-Meister

Aug 3, 2016
    Canada
    I just wished they had thicker necks. They all seem thin... Have I just not come across the right model?

5. Squierplayer1

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    Naaa, i think they are all like that. Lucky for me i like thin necks, just not TOO thin. The 60s tele is IMO way too thin. Feels almost like you're playing a fingerboard without the maple underneath it. I do recall the neck on the CV thinline might have been a bit thicker than my BSB, but that guitar was super bright to my ear. I tried lots of fixes and pickups but just couldn't get past that.

6. I really like the CV line but have no experience with the now expanded line of CV's. Without counting I must have about five currently, everything from FSR's, anniversary and regular issues.
    They generally do hold resale value quite well, and need very little if anything to improve them. Great bang for the buck.

Cheers, Barrie.

drewcp and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  7. Squierplayer1

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    Yeah, and actually the only upgrade I personally see as a "necessity" is the trem on the strats. I do upgrade more things for personal reasons, but nothing more then i do on most any strat or tele be in this or a MIM classic series or a MIJ etc. But as *necassary* upgrades go, the trems are the only ones i see as a must due to the lack of sustain. I can see others being happy with the stock trems to because they do have a really plucky attack i like and it's a bit of a trade-off. The sustain tho is worth it to me. The stock trems are really cheap quality too.

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  8. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I don't own a complete one ,but the neck on this Tele is a CV Thinline . It's definitely the nicest neck I own . It doesn't have that sticky tinted gloss feel. The fretwork is superb ! 2018-12-10 09.15.43.jpg

MrYeats likes this.
  9. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Same here. I had two CV's that I didn't hold on to. I also had two Contemporaries that I really wanted to like. But I can't do thin necks.

If I see another CV for the right price, I may jump in again.

kenneth likes this.
  10. Squierplayer1

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    If u couldn't hang onto those others, why would you do it again? They are all thin. Tho so are some fenders. I haven't measured, but my MIM classic 60s strat's neck is no thicker then my CV 60s strat. In fact, i think the CV is ever so slightly thicker at the nut. I would say the 50s tele and the thinline are the thickest by a tad. But have you had a thin neck for a long enough period to get used to it? Because i could never do beefy necks at all, even slightlky beefy. But once i had one it took me a while but eventually i was good with it. I still prefer thinner but i didn't think I could become comfortable with it till i had it for a while. The only necks i could not get used to was the CV 60s tele. That thing is crazy thin and hard for me to play no matter how i tried, and this coming from someone who likes thin necks. I finally gave in and sold it then later bought another when i saw the limited edition white with black binding and matching white headstock and it sucked me right in. I fooled myself into thinking i would try and get used to it but again sold it for the same reason. Tricked by a gorgeous look.

kenneth likes this.
  11. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

The NC's have the best wide necks in the world. Beautiful 42mm and 43.2mm at the nut. That's why all my (non-MIJ) Squiers are NC's. I don't own any CV, VM, Contemporary, Affy's, or Bullets.

kenneth and drewcp like this.
  12. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Nut

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    I've got a 50s and 60s CV neck, I think they're plenty thick. I like the CY necks as well, nice and beefy. My favorite neck is the Clapton neck like my FSR Powerhouse has on it, the 50s in particular feels close to it.

TEXINGA and MrYeats like this.
  13. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    Not any more you don"t... :)
    I will get around to demo for the VM in the near future...I like it.

14. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    I have three CV. I have two Strats one 5o's and one 60's and the BSB Tele. They're excellent guitars.
    I love the neck on the Strats, especially the Rosewood FB on the 60's. I like thin neck.

TEXINGA likes this.
  15. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Nut

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
  16. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Nut

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
    So what do you think of the FENDER-DESIGNED ALNICO PICKUPS? I love mine, normally I change out a Squiers PUPS if it is a keeper but I 'm keeping the ones that came with mine.

17. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    I've honestly never had the chance to play one but I'm not a quitter...…...:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice