Classic Vibe nut removal

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Ibanez GSA60, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Ibanez GSA60

Ibanez GSA60 Squier Talker

Jan 27, 2012
    Walnut Creek, California
    Hey guys, I recently removed the nut on my CV Tele to and made a new one from bone. However, it was a massive pain in the ass to remove the old one, as it was stuck in there with some crazy good glue. Took out some chunks of rosewood that I had to glue back on. I want to do a TUSQ XL one on my CV Strat, but would like to know if any of you guys have a way to cleanly remove it, since my usual method (which has worked on any other guitar for me) doesn't seem to work on guitars from the Grand Reward factory very well.

Jim Belaye and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  2. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    I did change the nuts on my two CV Strats and you have to be very, very careful and take your time.
    When I changed the nut on my Fender Strat, it was very easy with a small bloc of wood and a hammer.
    Those nuts on the CV Strats are stuck in a very thick layer of Gloss Polyester that covers the neck.
    You have to score the nut with an exacto knife. Also what I did, I warm the nut with a air dryer.

Then when the nut is loose pull the nut with a pair of plier.

3. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia Suburbs
    wow maybe just layer the nut with graphite and forget about it !

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  4. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I mangled a nut removal once, but I blame the factory for using too much glue. Here was @jskeen's advice to me.

I also had another stubborn nut that I had to saw through, lengthwise (very, very, carefully), and then remove with needle nose pliers.

5. You're a braver man than me :eek:. Using a saw is considered drastic measures.
    Cheers, Barrie.

6. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-Meister

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    The CV spec says that the stock nut is synthetic bone, so is a Tusq really an upgrade? I never thought about changing mine because it seems to be functioning just fine, but would be interested to find out what you think of your guitars post-surgery.

7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    I've replaced a few, and they were entirely caked with CA glue at the factory. I had to saw down the middle to start, after pre-cutting the finish around the nut with an X-acto. Pliers, yes sometimes, with masking tape both sides of the nut slot for safety. I also dropped some acetone in the slot with a dropper, trying to seep it in. The cured poly on a CV can tolerate this but any other finish would be damaged. I've used CA debonder to clean up unfinished rosewood, but I'm hesitant to try on a finished guitar.

After waiting/hoping/praying the acetone gets in there, I use a small chisel and start tapping from the remaining sides, wherever I can get a clean, safe bite, and with lots of luck, the remainders will slide out like normal.

dbrian66 likes this.
  8. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-Meister

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I had to do the same thing to get the plastic nut out of my SE. Tapping it with a block of wood was doing nothing. Like you, I used a saw to cut out the center of the nut. Then used a small chisel and an exacto knife to get the rest out. Time consuming, yes. But no damage to the rosewood and well worth the effort to put in a tusq nut.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  9. Ibanez GSA60

Jan 27, 2012
    Walnut Creek, California
    Absolutely. It looks nicer, plus allows me to use the tremolo without tuning issues being as bad. Also I can cut the slots at an angle that allows me to not use the string tree.

Also I am noticing some tonal improvement with the bone nut on my Tele, though it’s not a huge difference.

VealCutlet likes this.
  10. Ibanez GSA60

Jan 27, 2012
    Walnut Creek, California
    I’m definitely going to try this method using my fret saw

Davis Sharp and dbrian66 like this.
  11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    Stock CV nuts aren't bad, I keep them now until there's a mechanical reason to replace them. Graphite in the slot will be just as well as anything else. The proper angle is critical to any nut set up, but no matter what you do, it will not replace a string tree. You'll need staggered tuners or an angled neck for that. Tone, well that's debatable till everyone is blue in the face.

Can't argue with good looks though, if determined I'll do it just for that sometimes :)

txflood and Davis Sharp like this.
  12. Ibanez GSA60

Jan 27, 2012
    Walnut Creek, California
    I’ve had good luck in the past on the string contact front as far as slot angle is concerned, but yeah I also know about the break angle stuff. It’s a weird debate on that one. Either way, I prefer TUSQ over having to re-lube a nut, plus I like to make a nice nut for a guitar.

VealCutlet likes this.
  13. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-Meister

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    this thread sounds so incredibly painful if you look at it without the proper knowledge

14. Ibanez GSA60

Jan 27, 2012
    Walnut Creek, California
    LMAO

15. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    On my CV Strats, I changed the original nuts with TUSQ nuts. Tuning is more stable, a little bit more sustain. Im my case, yes it was an upgrade.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    VealCutlet likes this.
  16. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Even more painful when your guitar is missing a chunk of rosewood.

17. Ibanez GSA60

Jan 27, 2012
    Walnut Creek, California
  18. Ibanez GSA60

Jan 27, 2012
    Walnut Creek, California
    The chunks are back on the guitar haha

Davis Sharp likes this.