Cigarette Smell

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by dbrian66, Nov 10, 2019 at 6:00 PM.

1. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I bought this amp last Monday. It’s an awesome amp and it’s in really good shape, but it reeked of cigarettes.

D2872452-6699-429F-B236-8D76AE68C128.jpeg

The guy I bought it from lived in a single wide trailer. Everything was clean and neat, but he must have been chain smoking in that small space. I put the amp out in my shop so it didn’t make the house smell. I cleaned it with a lemon all purpose cleaner and sprayed the grill cloth with Fabreeze. I would play through it when I could , and turn it on so the tubes could get hot from time to time. It still stunk. Yesterday morning I cleaned it again and this time put a fan on it. Pointed right in the back towards the speaker. Left the fan on it like that for over 24 hours on high. This evening I checked it and it smells ok. Brought it in the house and played through it for about 30 minutes. Just a little bit of cigarette smell left, but I think it’s going to be ok. It’s staying inside with his new friends! LOL!
    7D18F142-117F-4E17-8DB3-727EF188E37A.jpeg

drewcp, MrYeats, brians and 9 others like this.
  2. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    I once bought a used Twin that had the same issue.

The previous owner had built himself a tiny wooden shed in back of his house, lined the inside walls and ceiling with old blankets, and kept his music equipment out there and smoked in it like a fiend. It was like he wanted to force the smoke smell into his gear with extreme prejudice.

He also kept a very sweet Les Paul Standard in there. What's wrong with some people??

It took a month of cleaning and aerating to get out the awful stench. I sympathize.

dbrian66 and Triple Jim like this.
  3. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Just the opposite for me..lol..Lived in a little 12ft wide trailer and smoked at least a pack a day..I sold a Fender Stringmaster to a dude in CA..Took a lot of time cleaning and polishing it all up..It looked great..He loved it but complained about the smell..I felt kinda guilty about it..I got about $300 more than the going price at the time, so returned $100 to the buyer..Made me feel better..
    Now I let buyers know ahead of time..

4. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Put it in a box and fill it with wadded up news print paper, not the glossy ads. Close the box. Replace paper in a couple days, repeat. One week smell no mas.

5. ManKonis

ManKonis Squier-Meister

Apr 25, 2017
    London
    Well, good luck. Looks like you doing great so far.
    Nice amp btw.

Just for you to know I lost the battle to the 1983 fender hard case. I was trying everything possible from soda to pet smell removal, kept it outside for weeks, washed it, but still almost the same musky smell.

dbrian66 likes this.
  6. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier-Meister

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    dbrian66 likes this.
  7. I bought a guitar once that included a soft case/gig bag. That bag stunk like a roadside tavern. A week in the fresh air was all it needed.
    Cheers, Barrie.

dbrian66 likes this.
  8. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Meister

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    dbrian66 likes this.
  9. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Another issue is gear kept in a basement...I once had my studio in a basement..Cases stunk like hell..

-r3- likes this.
  10. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I bought a Squier bullet that was this way .

I cleaned it with Wintergreen alchohol and knocked that stench back over 50%.

I turtle waxed the body real good .

Then Lemon oiled the neck a couple times and cleaned the chrome.

Then I gave it away to my nephew who smokes an Vapes ... Lol

-r3- likes this.
  11. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Meister

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
    Go to a local janitorial supply.
    They sell little squares of oder neutralizes.
    About 1 buck or two. They throw a few of em around for fire restoration jobs. They take the stink away and smell like cherry or coconut or whatever. 1 is plenty for a amp. After about a week...throw em away and a couple days later theres no smell

dbrian66 likes this.
  12. Too many hot summer nights, slumped up against an old amp catchin' a snooze.:) Cheers, Barrie

dbrian66 likes this.
  13. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Pet odor can be broken down with enzymes -- that is what pet small eliminators have in common. Smoke and other non organic odors not so much.

The method many realtors and apartment owners use is the ozone generator. Exposure to ozone (a reactive and relatively unstable oxygen molecule 3 three atoms) breaks down many odorific compounds. But such need be used with care because ozone is harmful to breath.

This is the one we used to get the odor of our a cottage that was poorly cared for by a tenant with less than ideal living habits:

Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 7.27.39 PM.png

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BGYRYMF/?tag=squiertalk-20

The ozone itself has an initial odor, but that quickly dissipates leaving a fresh, clean, 'after a storm' smell.

Used car dealer often use these as well -- and often for that very purpose: Eliminating smokers stench.

-don

14. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Nut

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Never smoked either and, as most in my situation, can't stand its smell either. Luckily none of my gear bought second-hand had that issue, mainly acoustic instruments that because of the unfinished interior of the bodies supposedly absorb the smells right away, but the hardcase I've bought two years ago had that noticeable stink in it.

I've tried a mix of baking soda, rice and cat litter inside old socks to try and absorb the smell without very effective results. What got rid of the stink for once was some good old airing it in a sunny day.

Mr Bones and dbrian66 like this.
  15. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    I got that exact one for a car we bought. I didn't want to cover the smell with another, I wanted to get rid of it. A friend who works at an Audi dealership, told me when nothing else will work, that's what they use. Had to use the generator 5 times for 2 hours each, to get rid of 75% of a mix of smoke and cheap spruce perfume or whatever he used to cover cigarette smell.

When I got my VOX AD60VT, it smelled like it was dropped in a bath of Febreeze. That thing is like rat poison ! Friggin awful from 10 feet away. I wrapped the amp in a huge bag, put the ozonat generator in there for a few hours and it killed the smell, well ... almost. It took another few weeks for it to totally vanish.

Febreeze ... how can people poison themselves with that **** ?

EDIT: Now that I talk about it, the amp sitting 3 feet from me still emits a weak Febreeze smell. I have to say my acute sense of smell is a curse.

duceditor and dbrian66 like this.
  16. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Soak the grill cloth in cheap whiskey. Mojo.

dbrian66 and Bob the builder like this.
  17. JoeInMichigan

JoeInMichigan Squier-Meister

Jun 10, 2018
    Michigan
    I second this suggestion,bought one a few years ago and it knocked out the camel cigs.smoke stench out of my plow truck that was really stinking after I quit. Have used it for daughter's house that the basement had some funk smell to it(cigs and stems and seeds) and knocked it right out. It works great.

duceditor and dbrian66 like this.
  18. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    an amp that reeks of cigs is very Rock n Roll :)

-r3-, dbrian66 and Davis Sharp like this.
  19. brians

brians Squier-Nut

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    I had a car once that I bought and it stank of cigarettes, it was a Miata Mx5 Mazda, and when I test drove it the hood was down, only discovered the stink on the next rainy day. It was unbearable, and I used to smoke then, but never indoors or in a car. So for a smoker to moan, you must know it was bad.

Anyway I used fabric softener called staysoft, left it under the front seat in it's plastic container. Ten days later the smell was gone.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

dbrian66 likes this.
  20. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice