Chris Cornell is gone...

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Brever, May 18, 2017.

1. DaveDrums

DaveDrums Squier-Nut

Feb 2, 2017
    MA, USA
    Awful. I was looking forward to new music from him and Soundgarden. Gone much too soon.

Here's two of my faves (and I loved all of it, solo, Soundgarden, Audioslave).

ElRey67 and Brever like this.
  2. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    While I never really listened to much of his work, I had seen Soundgarden in concert. Certainly he has touched many. Such a shame.

late2guitar and Brever like this.
  3. Josh owen

Josh owen Squier Talker

Feb 3, 2017
    Tennessee
    Just read that being investigated as a suicide. I certainly hope that is not true. Heartbreaking!

Brever likes this.
  4. hunter rose IV

hunter rose IV Squier-Nut

Oct 19, 2010
    seattle,WA
    First saw his band in 1991...heartbroken.

Hard Road, Brever and ElRey67 like this.
  5. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    A confirmed suicide,, I've just lost a lot of respect for him!:mad: :mad:
    I thought he was smarter than that!.. :mad::mad:

Caddy likes this.
  6. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Please don't think like that or say those things. Mental illness is a disease, it wasn't a conscious choice in the way you think it may have been - your mind and healthy minds work differently.

I wish he could have gotten the help he needed.

7. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    +1

jjudas, so1om, ponca and 2 others like this.
  8. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Man I dont know,, seems he could have reached out to somebody.. gotta feel bad for his family..

9. jimbojo

jimbojo Squier-holic

Jun 30, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    I was and am heartbroken hearing this news this morning and now (suicide). In the 90's the grunge movement restored my faith in rock and roll and Soundgarden was at the top of my list with those bands. I considered Chris as one of yhe top vocalist in rock n roll, period. What a huge loss.

10. Brever

Brever Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    People have their demons and sometimes those demons overtake them. I have lost no respect for him and I pray for his soul and for his family to forgive him.

11. Josh owen

Josh owen Squier Talker

Feb 3, 2017
    Tennessee
    He leaves a legacy of great music and creative songwriting that we are all fortune to enjoy. Like so many other creative geniuses gone to soon, he will live on in his music.

ElRey67, jjudas, Brever and 1 other person like this.
  12. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia Suburbs
    I was just thinking , he had a daughter ,, : ( I am disappointed to hear all this

Bailey1214, ElRey67 and Brever like this.
  13. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I too, well... I find those types of comments absolutely disgusting and uninformed. Unless you actually interact with someone who has depression, you cannot completely comprehend the gravity and the magnitude of how depression manifests itself. It is absolutely unexplainable and debilitating. It has nothing to do with how rich, poor, level of education, age, popular, "what you have going for you" etc.

I could just go on for days and days about how this affect the person and the people around them.

Again.. I was hardly a fan but this is a very sad and tragic event. It doesn't affect me the way that as an example, the death of Stevie Ray Vaughan affected me. I was a gigantic fan of his music and performances.

But I deeply feel the sadness and grief over his departure through suicide. And I feel it just as much, if not more, as the loss of an "SRV" because of the nature of it.

14. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    First thing I heard this am when I awoke - He will be sadly missed !

nobucks, Brever and ElRey67 like this.
  15. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    What a bummer. What a loss. He was one of my favorite singer and songwriters...

16. jimbojo

jimbojo Squier-holic

Jun 30, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    This has really got me down all day and I would say for me I haven't felt this way about the loss of an artist since SRV passed.

As to Demons, Depression and suicide, I can say as a person who has struggled with those things (drug addiction, alcoholism, depression and suicidal thought) unless you have been there you do not know. You never defeat those demons, at best you keep them at bay one day, heck even one hour, at a time. The burden of pain that a person carries cannot be judged by their outside circumstance. It is tragic and heartbreaking and reacting in anger belittles the struggle if those that fight this fight daily, as if they fail it was because they were weak or wanted the easy way out.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family as now this burden of pain he carried will be passed on to them in at least some way. My thoughts and prayers also go out to anyone else reading this and know that if you are at that point, if you can find the strength reach out. I would gladly give my personal phone number to anyone who needed someone to talk too, anytime.

RIP Chris.

And peace to all my friends here.

Jimbo

jjudas, nobucks, squierplayer and 7 others like this.
  17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    I shared a few 'likes' here but it's not a 'like' at all for this news. Suicide is touchy, even my wife and I got into this. Whatever one feels, be it anger, empathy, apathy, it's not going to answer the questions the family will be asking from this point forward. I feel for them today--hopefully they will eventually find peace. I hope Chris did. We don't know anything about these situations until we can actually walk in another person's shoes, their mind, their body...Rest in Power, man..

18. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-Nut

My earliest recollection of Cornell was from the movie Pacific Heights. Hands All Over was playing in one scene and I was like, "Who in the hell was that!?" I was hooked.

Like someone said up thread, Badmotorfinger was the soundtrack of my mid twenties...

Brever and ElRey67 like this.