Chips and dings

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Grandad Rock, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Grandad Rock--I wrote a song with that name..lol..Some time way back in the 60s..

Big tuna and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  2. Trumpy

Trumpy Squier Talker

Feb 5, 2018
    Western WI
    I bought a used 2014 US Strat in metallic charcoal mist with a road runner hard case for $550. It had a big scrape about an inch long. Got tired of looking at that scrape down to bare wood so I just wanted to glob some matching paint in the uneven damage. I went to an auto paint supplier and they scanned the guitar, and gave me a touch up bottle of paint that was a really good match. Seems like the most accurate way to color match. With metallic paint you might need to experiment on some bare wood with different primer colors.

3. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    What did they charge you for that ? if you don't mind me asking ?

Big tuna likes this.
  4. Edarnott

Edarnott New Member

Jan 31, 2019
    Se ohio
    Take your guitar to the local ppg auto paint dealer, the can take a picture of the color, and mix you a touchup bottle. Fill the nicks and dents slowly, with how evet many coats it takes. Buy a sheet of 2000 grit wet or dry color sanding paper, wet sand your spots down level, any polishing compound will work, hand rub the spots, nobody will ever know.

Davis Sharp and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  5. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-Nut

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas Coast
    Was there any Old Grandad around at the time. Just curious.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  6. Chips and dings

I prefer chips and dip ... every once in a while. ;) Cheers, Barrie.

7. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Yeah Ken, This place took care of me when I was painting a strat and wanted authentic Fender colors used. They had cross referenced colors from the auto manufacturers with Fender that they actually used. I was looking for Fender Surf Green at the time and it was referenced back to Chevy 1956 as I remember. Then they asked me what I wanted like single stage enamel or paint that would require a gloss clear top coat etc. They put it in a rattle can and it cost about $15, I went with single stage and when I was done wet sanding and rubbing it out it turned out real nice! I'm sure they could do just a touch up bottle as well if that's what you needed! Bring in guitar and they could do a direct match up I'm sure! Hope this helps, Good luck. http://www.autofinishers.com/elma.php 2811 Transit Road
    Elma, NY 14059

8. Kaffeine_oo7

Kaffeine_oo7 Squier-Meister

Feb 23, 2019
    Ohio
    I also vote for leaving the battle scars as is. People pay to have a relic’d finish. You are working on one the honest way. To me, every ding and scratch tells a story and is part of the guitar’s mojo. As long as there is nothing hindering performance of the instrument, just roll with it. One of my guitars was so pretty I was almost afraid to touch it, let alone play it. Same as a brand new car with no scratches I guess. I had to do something about that. So I turned it over and used my pick to put a few small dings where my belt buckle would contact it. At first I felt like I had just hit a lady or something (not that I ever have). But I’m no longer afraid to scratch it so it actually gets played now.

9. Trumpy

Trumpy Squier Talker

Feb 5, 2018
    Western WI
    Cost about $8.00 for a small bottle. They also sold me some tiny little paint dippers. Almost like a micro Q tip without any cotton.

10. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    thanks ! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice