China Squire Strat/Mexican Fender Strat

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by DA King, Jan 8, 2017.

1. DA King

DA King Squier Talker

Jan 8, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Are there any difference between a made in China Squire Strat and a Mexican fender strat? Other than the country

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

What model of China Squier?? We need more info to explain to you exact differences @DA King

jackdragbean likes this.
  3. DA King

DA King Squier Talker

Jan 8, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Headstock only says Squire Strat by fender the ser# starts with Cxs I've been told it's a sc but not sure if that's a thing or not.

4. MOD-VM70

MOD-VM70 Squier-Meister

Nov 11, 2016
    Florida
    There are a few different levels of Squier.

5. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    seminole Oklahoma
    Pics would help.. we love pic's here.

6. DA King

DA King Squier Talker

Jan 8, 2017
    Oklahoma
  7. DA King

DA King Squier Talker

Jan 8, 2017
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

8. DA King

DA King Squier Talker

Jan 8, 2017
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

9. DA King

DA King Squier Talker

Jan 8, 2017
    Oklahoma
    The reason I ask I'm thinking about a Mim fender guy is asking $250 but if it's like what I already have I don't see the point.

10. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    There is definitely a difference if it is a MIM made in about the last ten years. Upgraded electronics, upgraded block, ceramic but well respected pickups.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  11. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    seminole Oklahoma
    The mim quality is better. It has better parts than the squier SE. Most people gut the SE and put a mim trem and new electrics and pups in it. The SE is a really good start for a mod ding platform.

12. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Looks like you have an SE, those a good guitars and make one of the best mod platforms.
    A MIM Stratocaster is generally much better guitar, but a lot depends on the year and condition. Does it come with a case? is it a maple neck? what year is it?

SE's can be made into stellar players with some time and money.

Bailey1214, Hammer 4 and squierTony like this.
  13. DA King

DA King Squier Talker

Jan 8, 2017
    Oklahoma
    No case 1996 50th anniversary

14. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Dr. Squier

Apr 14, 2015
    San Pedro, Ca.
    Yep, you have a SE, as Davey said, they make great modding platforms, as they have a full thickness body, decent tuners, but the electronics leave a little to be desired. IMHO, if you can get a later model MIM for 250.00, I'd go for it. I say later model, like 2006 or newer cuz they had upgraded parts, i.e. full size trem block, and better electronics..

jackdragbean and txflood like this.
  15. MOD-VM70

MOD-VM70 Squier-Meister

Nov 11, 2016
    Florida
    Wasn't the 90's a low point for Fender/Squier?

16. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Maple or rosewood? without debating merits and preferences of the two it seems to me the maple ones sell for more and faster.

17. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Dr. Squier

Apr 14, 2015
    San Pedro, Ca.
    In some cases. Like all guitars, no matter if it's mim, mia, or where ever...there were good ones, and not so good ones. That's why it's important to play a guitar your interested in if at all possible.

squierTony and MOD-VM70 like this.
  18. OldGuitarPlayer

OldGuitarPlayer Squier-Nut

Jul 17, 2012
    the basement
    I am sure others will chime in but I'll give my opinion.

I am assuming you own the Squier and want to know if it's better to buy the MIM for $250.

We don't know what the Squier body is made of but it's most likely laminate. Sometimes people have found they have alder ones too. You just never know with Squier. My 1998 Squier Affinity is a full size alder body. The MIM strat will be made of some kind of hardwood. Alder? I forget.

Another difference will be the quality of the tremolo block and bridge. The MIM block will be bigger (standard size) and the bridge saddles will be the bent steel Fender ones. The Squier will have block style chrome saddles and a small thin tremolo block. The neck on the MIM may be more to your liking or not. That's a personal preference.

Basically all things being even I'd say the electronics and pickups are going to pretty much the same quality there. The MIM may be slightly better in that regard.

I think a MIM strat for $250 is a good deal. It's certainly going to be a bit better than the Squier in terms of quality but again your mileage may very.

DA King likes this.
  19. Eddie

Eddie Squier-holic

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Is the $250 MIM still available? It was available on Amazon for about a week. It's back up to $499 now.

When buying new, I think the Squier Standard Stratocaster is the best value at $250. It's $50 more than the Affinity, and superior in many regards. It's also a great value used and are often found for about $100.

The Affinity's are great pre-owned values ... many people selling them for $60-80.

I have no experience with the Bullet's ... but I'm meeting a CL seller to pick up a pink Bullet tonight. :)

DA King likes this.
  20. Luis GP

Luis GP Squier Talker

Jun 6, 2016
    Guadalajara, MX

MiM Strats have alder body, though the bridge measurements are the same as the asian strats, so it's kind of an hybrid beast. Craftmanship tends to be impeccable though, I find it much better than most squiers.

DA King likes this.