Cheap neck

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by pflug, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Just when I thought I wouldn't ... I did. I broke down and bought a Chinese neck ... a 22 fret maple Stratocaster replacement with the rosewood "skunk" insert.
    I must say I'm rather surprised. Level frets, no jagged fret ends, nice modern C shape and all the measurements are correct. No blemishes with a light satin finish. It's a very white looking maple not properly shown with the indoor pics. All this for $45 CDN ($35 US) delivered to my door step in 8 days. It was ordered out of China, but the order was shipped from a warehouse in Canada.

Neck-01.jpg

Neck-02.jpg

Neck-03.jpg

Neck-04.jpg

Neck-05.jpg

Cheers, Barrie.

2. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

How about a link, so we can take a look at what else your vendor can supply and shipping costs to other locations? Thanks.

Las Palmas Norte and mkgearhead like this.
  3. mdparent03

mdparent03 Squier-holic

May 6, 2013
    Beaumont, CA
    @Las Palmas Norte , looks like you got lucky with that one. Very nice. Give a light tint and it should look good.

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  4. I kinda like the light color of natural maple. In all honesty, I like 'em all. For an SE build, I wanted to swap out the rosewood for a different look. Someone here put the bug in my ear on that idea.
    Cheers, Barrie.

dbrian66 and mdparent03 like this.
  5. WhiteKnite

WhiteKnite Squier Talker

Dec 20, 2017
    S Korea
    I bought the same one when my $16 one didn't arrive. It shipped on the 8th out of China. Should be here soon.

6. Sometimes when you go too cheap, you are much more likely to be disappointed. This one seems to be a happy medium of price and quality. I'll give the frets a good once over before install. Roll the fret ends and a polish ... good to go.
    Cheers, Barrie.

Rat cam 68 and WhiteKnite like this.
  7. WhiteKnite

WhiteKnite Squier Talker

Dec 20, 2017
    S Korea
    Lots of good reviews on that Kmise neck. Hopefully mine is as good as many of the reviews I've seen indicate.

8. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

I recently did similar and took a chance on a P-bass neck (rosewood). I haven't used it yet but it turned out to be a Kmise and based on visual inspection, looks like it will far exceed my expectations.

I find there are lots of Jazz necks or "JB replacement" necks on ebay which are almost always more Jazz than Precision (profile wise). This one has that PB "chunk" to it and the headstock/heel etc appear "to spec". It was a hair under $50 CDN to the door.

9. WhiteKnite

WhiteKnite Squier Talker

Dec 20, 2017
    S Korea
    Just got my $31 Kmise neck today. Same description and photos as the one pictured above by Mr. Norte, but from a different seller direct from China. Initial inspection has me VERY impressed. I won't be able to check how level the frets are until later but they look decent. A little sharp along the edges, not bad and easy to fix. The fretboard has no black abalone dots as stated in the description but it is a beautiful flame maple and just begging to be nicely finished in gloss. There's a bit of Birdseye in the headstock as well, but nowhere near as figured as the fretboard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dbrian66, mb doug, Rat cam 68 and 3 others like this.
  10. Very nice @WhiteKnite ... I found very little on the fret ends to cause me any concern. I will however spend some time with it before it's installed.
    Pretty big bang for the buck. ;)

Cheers, Barrie.

dbrian66 and WhiteKnite like this.
  11. Rat cam 68

Rat cam 68 Squier-Meister

Mar 12, 2018
    Mooresville,In
    5CD51C8F-E5ED-43B0-A12D-27C23AB0E1E1.jpeg A06D944E-E9AA-4196-BE66-F4428507D6AB.jpeg 1B0F9A6B-6C60-4AED-BAE3-4C044B586997.jpeg D4DB3FB0-9711-48B5-BB19-6057479398CD.jpeg D7FD37AF-1D72-43EB-950B-6183D9E9CAC6.jpeg I bought a couple of those Kmise necks off Amazon not to long ago and was quite satisfied.

12. Ya !!! No doubt. Real nice. Great when you get a nice neck(s), and even better when to lay it out fine like you've done. Well done brother @Rat cam 68 ;)
    Cheers, Barrie.

mdparent03 likes this.
  13. Did some fret work and installed a decal today on my "cheap neck".

Neck-01.jpg
    Neck-02.jpg
    Neck-03.jpg
    Neck-04.jpg
    Neck-05.jpg

Cheers, Barrie.

Rey08, mkgearhead, mb doug and 2 others like this.
  14. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
  15. Rat cam 68

Mar 12, 2018
    Mooresville,In
    Looks factory fresh,spray a couple light coats of amber shellac and some clear nitro lacquer for some color.

mdparent03 likes this.
  16. Rat cam 68

Mar 12, 2018
    Mooresville,In

17. snivlem

snivlem Squier-Nut

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    Got my $27 neck in today. Pretty happy. I'm gonna call it "mayple", because I think it is just maple capped, but it feels good, a little light. The finish on it is very light, which is nice, because I'll add to it. The heel is a smidge too wide, but that is easily addressed. The fret ends are actually very well done, rolled even, but the rolling came after the yellow finish lol. This one will end up on a body I got from a ST member soon. 20180322_155030.jpg 20180322_155037.jpg 20180322_155052.jpg
    The ebay seller is Tomtop if anyone is interested.

18. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    I got one from the same seller today too. I ordered a second one when I got the 15% off code. It should be here in a few days. It's funny, I ordered both from the same seller but the first one came USPS from Houston and the second one is coming FEDEX from California.

Kenneth Mountain and snivlem like this.
  19. snivlem

snivlem Squier-Nut

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    New Jersey for mine. Crazy all the ways China stuff gets to us.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.