Cheap neck

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by pflug, Jan 22, 2018.

1. mdparent03

mdparent03 Squier-holic

May 6, 2013
    Beaumont, CA
    Got my refund today through Paypal dispute. Ebay wouldn't do anything until after the due date even though the seller has changed his name and also made his feedback private after several negative feedbacks about no deliveries and false tracking numbers.

Las Palmas Norte and dbrian66 like this.
  2. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    What kind of tuners go with that? Will drilling be required? I want one. :)

Las Palmas Norte and dbrian66 like this.
  3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Any of the modern, sealed tuners will fit. The holes are 10mm in diameter.

If your tuners have pins, you'll have to drill holes for them. If they have screws that secure them to the back of the neck, you'll have to drill pilot holes for the screws, or you can try one of those Hipshot plate-thingies.

dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  4. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Looks like drilling will be needed at the heel too. Si?

5. LutherBurger

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Oops... I forgot about that. Yes.

Eddie likes this.
  6. MikeyH

MikeyH Squier-Meister

Jan 2, 2017
    Hawaii
    I don't think you'd want it any other way—the chance that your body's holes will line up perfectly with a pre-drilled neck's holes is pretty slim.

Las Palmas Norte and Eddie like this.
  7. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Yeah, drilling scares me. With my luck, I'll drill all the way through.

8. LutherBurger

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    I've done it two ways. The easy way was to line up the neck and clamp it in place, and then put four small divots in the neck wood by running a body-hole-sized drill bit through the body and gently drilling in reverse. I then held the guitar on my knee and used the appropriate drill bit to find the centers of the divots and drill the neck holes, being careful to keep the bit centered and straight in the body holes.

Before doing any of this, put a neck screw alongside your drill bit with their points even, and wrap a little flag of tape around the drill bit so that the bottom edge of the tape is where the head of the screw begins. This will be your depth marker, so when you're drilling you'll know to STOP when the tape hits the body.

The harder way (for me, at least) was to mark the hole locations, remove the neck, and drill the holes. I don't have a drill press (which you probably guessed already), so I ended up drilling one hole at a slight angle. I discovered my mistake when I screwed the neck on and that particular screw wanted to fight the three others. I lived with it for a while, but eventually plugged and re-drilled it.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Rey08, Eddie and mdparent03 like this.
  9. ecoli

ecoli Squier-Meister

Feb 26, 2013
    Canada
    To add to the above, make sure to use brad point bits when drilling. While using the body as a guide for the drill bit is good, the brad point makes it even more accurate. Also, make sure you're using the right size bit. Too big and you'll be plugging and redrilling!

I actually have one guitar with metal inserts in the neck. Much prefer these over traditional wood screws, especially since this neck has a heel adjusted truss-rod and the only way to access it is by removing it. They're not terribly complicated to install although on this neck I did have my luthier do that work :)

Eddie and LutherBurger like this.
  10. LutherBurger

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    [Googles "brad point drill bits"]

Sweet. I want some. :)

Eddie likes this.
  11. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    I just made a claim with Paypal since eBay won't do anything until the 19th. I added a link to this thread so they can see that no one received what they ordered.

mdparent03 likes this.
  12. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    I didn’t get mine shows to have been delivered in the DFW area in some Front office:( Failed a complaint with EBay.

mdparent03 likes this.
  13. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    My “tracking “ says it hasn’t moved since January 24th.

Wizzer likes this.
  14. WhiteKnite

WhiteKnite Squier Talker

Dec 20, 2017
    S Korea
    Looks like his account has been suspended. He no longer has any items listed for sale. When I checked last weekend his feedback was down to like 77%.

15. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    Yeppers,Ebay tells me I can’t do a claim till March 8:( WTF oh well kiss 12 bucks goodbyeo_O

16. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    This was my first burn from a Chinese seller and I’ve ordered tons of parts from them.

17. WhiteKnite

WhiteKnite Squier Talker

Dec 20, 2017
    S Korea
    You will get a refund. Just make a claim after March 8. Ebay "buyer guarantee" is for this exact situation.

Davey likes this.
  18. LutherBurger

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Hey, @ecoli, thanks for that advice. I bought a set of brad point bits last week, and used one to drill the mounting holes in a new neck yesterday. Aside from the accuracy, the holes I drilled with it are remarkably clean. I'm a fan.

ecoli likes this.
  19. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    The 8th came and went, did you guys get your refunds?

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  20. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I just got my refund today.