Chapman Guitars

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Eddie, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Does anyone have any experience with Chapman Guitars? Any thoughts?

I see some of their Explorer models are available used for about $400.

Are they worth the money?

2. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    I watched a video about them.
    They are made by World Musical Instruments in Korea.
    They make guitars for a lot of different brands.
    PRS SE line for instance.
    So I guess it comes down to what the specifications are.

dbrian66, Kenneth Mountain and Eddie like this.
  3. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-Nut

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    Buy it and report back.

drewcp, corn, Eddie and 5 others like this.
  4. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    I don't have any experience with them, but I know world musical makes good stuff. I've been looking for an explorer type myself, but I'm waiting for a used one to turn up and so far the only used ones I've seen locally are the tele types.

Eddie, dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  5. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    There are Tele type Explorers ? o_O

6. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

tele birds tele explorer les pauls routed for tele pups etc etc - you seen the birds on here ?

Eddie and dbrian66 like this.
  7. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    I'm meant the tele style Chapmans

8. beagle

beagle Squier-Meister

They may be very nice well made guitars, but two things put me off. The needless reversed headstocks and Chapman's stupid face, which pops into my head when I even think about them.

9. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I can't believe you don't like the "Chappers". My biggest problem with him is that I enjoy a cleaner tone and with Rob, the dirtier and more distorted the better. I'm thinking his guitars are built more for his kind of playing than mine.

BTW, I have a really nice flamed maple Kramer Assault Plus that I am going to put on the market. They are going on Ebay and Reverb for $550 - $700.00. Mine is mint condition and I would be willing to let it go for $500, including a hard case plus actual shipping cost. These came standard with Seymore Duncan pickups and factory locking tuners. With the natural mahogany body it is a real looker. Here's a picture. This one will shred your socks off.

Kramer Assault.jpg

10. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Agreed on the reverse headstocks. Unfortunately, Gibson has put an end to all hockey-stick head stocks on non-Gibson/Epiphone Explorers. :(

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  11. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
  12. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    did you search craigslist to see if it is listed there too?

drewcp, Kenneth Mountain and Eddie like this.
  13. beagle

beagle Squier-Meister

Believe it. He annoys the hell out of me.

Big tuna likes this.
  14. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    Sometimes I can't believe how many Brits I'm watching on guitar YouTube. Anderton's has some of the biggest personalities on guitar YouTube, love 'em or hate 'em.

Big tuna likes this.
  15. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY

Wow!

Eddie likes this.
  16. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

He can get annoying to me too, but in one on his instructional videos I watched he was very down to earth and helpful. I think he thinks he's really funny when he gets together with Lee Anderton.

Eddie likes this.
  17. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-holic

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    Chapman guitars is an interesting story. While it's true it's Rob's company and his name is on the headstock Chapman guitars would not have happened without the backing of Lee Anderton. It's not mentioned much but it was Lee's financial backing that got it off the ground and allowed Rob to work with a company like World Instruments rather than a cheaper manufacturing firm. That being said they seem to make a quality instrument and in fact I remember a couple years ago Rob signed a deal with Guitar Center that essentially would make Chapman sort of the GC "house brand" but to be honest I don't know what ever happened to that deal. I really haven't heard much about Chapman guitars after the initial buzz and now they seem to be lost somewhere behind the Harley Benton's of the guitar world now.

drewcp and Eddie like this.
  18. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Drool.....

19. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I really like Lee Anderton "The Captain". He is a reasonably good guitar player but appears to have a humbleness about him that Chappers doesn't have. I recently watched the video where Lee interviewed Tommy Emanuel. It was great. He does get to interview lots of great artists.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice