Channeling Strat tone

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by surf green, May 21, 2020.

1. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Beyond channeling SRV, Dan Patlansky has the goods on Strat tone, and he's sharing it here.

2. kniah

kniah Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    Cool. Thanks for sharing!

3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Interesting video.

He rivals Willie Nelson for damage to the guitar face. It's also interesting that he gets quite a bit of fret buzz when he picks hard.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  4. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    In my experience, Strats always have a little buzz if you hit them real hard, especially on the wound strings, and above the 12th fret, unless you have real high action. Even my expensive MIA Strats do it some. As Joe Walsh said in an old interview in Guitar Player "Fenders are supposed to buzz a little". I've gotten so used to it, that I rarely even notice. You hear it less with a little gain, and more with a real clean sound. You can make any guitar buzz if you hit it hard enough, even an acoustic with 13s on it.

5. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Yes, and that applies to most electrics, really. I thought it was interesting how hard Dan was picking, and how much buzz it caused.

6. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    Love this video.. Could listen all day long and think i'll try some of his tips. Thanks for posting it...

Kenneth Mountain and surf green like this.
  7. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-Nut

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Some nice tips there, the guy knows how to play!

Kenneth Mountain and surf green like this.
  8. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    No matter how well I setup my guitar I just will not sound that good... I'll keep trying though

9. Jmv668

Jmv668 Squier-Nut

Feb 21, 2017
    Chile
    Try with Champ silverface cranked and nickel strings.

Kenneth Mountain and fadetoz like this.
  10. Dinomikesr

Dinomikesr Squier-Meister

Nov 25, 2019
    South-East
    Mine are good but thanks. :D

11. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I've kind of reserved the Champ for recording and play through the Blues JR allot. But I do have the Blues Deluxe and a Celecstion type A speaker about ready to go. Just need to do a speaker swap in it. Also have the effects loop attenuator mod for it. 40watts of tube amp is crazy loud.
    This is the Blues JR.. My playing is terrible (worse than usual) since I moved I haven't played allot. I was too busy packing moving and unpacking. I guess instead of building this guitar I could have been playing one of the others. Hahaha
    Anyway I did drop to Eb for this to see what it sounded like. I'm not even sure where a pick is rite now either. I think the guitar sounds pretty dang good. Would sound better with that dude playing it though. I think I'll lower my pups and play with that idea too. 10s dropped to Eb feel like 9s to me.

duzie, surf green, DougMen and 2 others like this.
  12. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    All you need now is the cowboy hat to get the Texas tone flooding out the basement. Were the pickups lowered, if so, did you detect a difference?

fadetoz and Ricky3Fingerd like this.
  13. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

So does that 60s Strat have 6.25" neck radius? If so, how do you like it?
    Edit: should be 7.25 neck radius but you all knew that.

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 6:10 PM
    Ricky3Fingerd likes this.
  14. Ricky3Fingerd

Ricky3Fingerd Squier-Nut

Nov 26, 2019
    Canda
    Whoah. Way to small for me.

15. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I find the specs strange for calling it a 60s but it a great neck even though it's not Ebony or Rosewood.

Description
    Crafted at our Ensenada, Mexico manufacturing facility, this genuine vintage-style Fender Stratocaster neck features a comfortable "C"-shaped profile and 12"-radius pau Ferro fingerboard with 21 medium jumbo frets. The synthetic bone nut is pre-slotted with "pilot" grooves for accurate spacing when filing the final string slots, and a gloss urethane finish offers an incredibly smooth feel. This replacement neck is the perfect way to give your Strat an authentically '60s feel.

Features & details
    • 12”-radius pau Ferro fingerboard
    • "C"-shaped neck profile
    • 21 Medium jumbo Frets; White Dot Inlays
    • Pre-slotted synthetic bone nut
    • Gloss urethane finish

16. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    No change on pup height as of yet. I have the middle one low though.

17. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

The early spec was 7.25", by the way. :)

fadetoz likes this.
  18. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    My 50s Telecaster is a 7.25 and it is so nice to play.

Triple Jim likes this.
  19. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I know what you mean. My '76 hardtail is 7.25 and I like it a lot. I'm really not picky about radius though. Another guitar I have is 14", and I really don't pay a lot of attention to the difference. :)

20. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    They either play good or not. I can get use to the radius. The John 5 is 12" I think. That one plays fast but I don't put much thought into it. I notice neck shape more than the radius I think. If it gets too chunky I'm out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice