Champ Minor Mod Day!

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by Bassman96, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    A few days ago I ordered some Oxblood Grill Cloth for my Champion 600 and it arrived late yesterday.

[​IMG]

Just finished breaking down the amp and pulling the old cloth off. All that's left is to staple the new stuff on and close it up :D

Next payday I am probably going to get a new set of tubes for it and place an order for a Jensen MOD 6". That should be just about all the mods I should need to do to this thing.. it's near perfect out of the box IMHO.

I'll get pics up when finished.

Cheers!

2. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    That's my favorite one.

3. Hugh

Hugh Squier-Nut

Dec 15, 2009
    USA
    Love them little amps going by a few demos I've heard. Never can find one on cl though. Tung-Sol tubes seem to be a fav upgrade.

4. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    All done! Just finished buttoning it all back up and it looks sweet! The amp has a much more open sound to it and is a lot louder just from this simple mod.

I took some pics of the new cloth vs the old stuff and you can see how much more light is let through which equals more air flow and that means better sound. The stock stuff is so dense you can hardly blow through it and it was suffocating the speaker.

First pic is of just how much you get when you order a quantity of 1 of this stuff lol... I could do about 10 of these amps with this amount! The next two are my attempt to show the difference in density between the two types of cloth.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally some before and after pics (the before is a stock photo just for reference).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Fender Tone Machine :)

[​IMG]

As far as the replacement tubes.. I have stumbled upon a small hole in the wall guitar repair shop here in town and the owner said he has a ton of NOS tubes of all sorts that he will let me pick through. He also said he would help match them up for the best sound so I'm going to go that route (gotta keep the local guys in buisness ;) ).

5. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    That looks better, and it sounds better, win/win ~!
    Be careful on tubes they are not all equal, get sound advice to make sure they are not gonna hurt the amp.

6. Croppertone

Croppertone Squier-Meister

Mar 31, 2010
    Quebec
    Nice! What a difference

7. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I'm calling it a win :)

The store down the road is a repair shop first with stacks of old amps in the front room getting this and that done to them.. they only had a couple used guitars hanging on the wall. I talked to the owner for about an hour when I found the place and he really seems to know what he is doing and is trying to get established in town with a good reputation so I'm fairly confident he will set me up right. I might even drag my guitars down there and have them properly setup. I know how to setup a guitar but I am sure it can be done better by a pro lol.

8. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Helz yea ! Throw him the business. It'll pay off later.

9. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    Let me know if you want to get rid of some of that grille cloth. I've got a Champ 600 that could use it.:D One simple mod you may want to consider is bypassing the tone circuit. It's just a matter of lifting 1 leg of the R19 resistor from the PCB. I did it and added a toggle switch so I can go back to the stock sound. It makes the amp alot louder and it'll break up sooner if you want a little dirtier sound.

10. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA

I just might be talked into cutting off a piece for ya ;)

11. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    Nice!:cool:

12. Bullitt

Bullitt Squier-Meister

Dec 14, 2009
    Mooresville,In
    Might find a Jensen alnico on Ebay for cheap and try that out too.

13. Hugh

Hugh Squier-Nut

Dec 15, 2009
    USA
    Also, check yard sales and estate sales. Old phonograph consoles have tubes and speakers you can salvage.

As soon as I get a Champ 600, I'm going to try this old 4 ohm alnico speaker in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Attu

Attu Squier Talker

Feb 14, 2011
    UK
    Looks much better that the original, I wonder why they put such thick Grill Cloth on in the first place ?, did the original ones have thick cloth on as well ?

15. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    According to Ampwiki http://ampwiki.com/?p=376 The original 1948 model has

"Grill Cloth: Brown hohair (early 48) or linen"

Here's a pic of a '48 Champion 600 it looks to be linen which I would imagine is alot less dense than this thick fake velvet cloth they have now. Not sure why they did that... I imagine cost was a major factor.

Attached Files:

16. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Squier-Meister

Dec 22, 2009
    U.P. North
    My Champ has just gotten a tube upgrade and I can honestly say the tone improved greatly (I think I put in JJ's). I want to do the grill cloth and tone stack bypass as well. In fact, I think I'm going to go do that right now.

17. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I had thought about the tone stack mod but I kinda like the bassyness of it. It kinda has that nice bluesy growl to it *shrug To each their own :cool:

18. nomadh

nomadh Squier-Nut

Jun 11, 2010
    SD CA
    Who was it at fender that thought it was a good idea to cover a speaker with suede? I did the tone bypass and the feedback bypass. I suggest only do 1 at a time on max vol. I did both and blew my output xformer and power tube. I still need to fix it.
    It did sound like a Ferrari v12 though :)

19. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Squier-Meister

Dec 22, 2009
    U.P. North
    I just got done doing that tone bypass mod. For those that have not done it yet, the mod really changes for amp. The amp gets a bit louder and breaks up in the lower volumes. It does sound really good with the AVRI'62 Strat.

So I added a switch for switchin' back and forth.

Didn't have enough staples to do the cloth tonight, but it will happen in the near future.

20. nomadh

nomadh Squier-Nut

Jun 11, 2010
    SD CA
    Check out the feedback resistor. its a similar mod just lift a resistor. Makes it a gritty grainy blues machine when matched with the tone mod. Just keep it at below 8 on the vol. Although it seems most people get away with it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice