Car Paint Match for Antique Olive

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by THRobinson, Feb 9, 2018.

1. THRobinson

THRobinson Squier-Meister

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    Anyone know of a good match for Fender's Antique Olive Green here in Canada? Places like StewMac don't ship across the border because of certain laws regarding chemicals and explosive cans.

I tried Krylon, had a good colour of the same name... but very thin, mostly solvent I think than pigment. Was like painting with coloured water, same as their primer. Returned all the unopened cans I had because just not very good at all. Bad batch maybe? old? Shook the can for the full 2 minutes so shoulda been mixed well enough.

Looking for a car paint that matches. Unfortunately, can't search simply by name because every company has a variation of it and most seem either too light, or too much white mixed in.

Hoping someone may have used a paint that matches and has a paint code or something I can take to the car shop and have a can mixed up. Not looking for nitro.... it's a cheap $100 guitar, gonna be the beater guitar.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    surf green and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  3. THRobinson

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    Painted at room temp, so I guess 70-72 degrees. Maybe the store had really old cans and most of the pigment settled.

Rust-Oleum is close but oil based. Not sure how that reacts with the clear I'll be using. Hoping Fender used a car colour and someone may know what year/make it was.

[​IMG]

4. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    squierbilly and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  5. THRobinson

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    Ya, Gibson and Fender used car paint colours for a lot of their guitars... Problem is, I can't find Antique Olive.

Very likely a colour they had made for them, but then again non-metallic/pearl greens were popular pre-'70s.

It's popular enough though that I'm sure someone had it made for a project or touch-up paint. Hoping they have a paint code for it or info about what car it was on.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  6. THRobinson

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    '70s Mercedes Benz Cactus Green, is pretty close... Though like all internet photos, no two photos look the same colour and no idea how colour correct they are.

7. THRobinson

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    Resurrection! Think I stumbled on the matching colour for Antique Olive today, if not, it's darn close... made a side-by-side, off-chance anyone else is looking for the colour.

[​IMG]

8. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Glad you found it.

Not sure if it’s my phone or something you did, but I can’t see the image you posted.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  9. THRobinson

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    It's a PNG file not JPG... not sure if phone browsers display PNG or not. I use to use JPG all the time but quality/size wise PNG is a bit better so been using it for stuff lately. Maybe forum posts I'll have to switch back to JPG.

Can't say I ever tried browsing on a phone. Computer at home and at work, bigger screen so never bother with the phone. :D

I was looking at doing an aged/relic of a Squier SE I just got, originally for an SRV clone, but saw some photos of green guitars where the paint wore down to the tri-burst layer underneath and liked that a lot. Was browsing random green colours and of course NOW I find a match for Antique Olive. :D

10. THRobinson

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    Give this a try, same image as a JPG

[​IMG]

11. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I can see that! That looks pretty close. Definitely a cool color.

12. THRobinson

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    Well, I'll have to remember, JPG for the phone-folk. :D

I think that particular paint code was something like 1954-1957, which may explain why if you search by paint name only, the colours are all over the place. I understand different lighting and monitors etc... but these are just different colours.

Was looking to relic a guitar with a tri-burst Squier SE I just got... so just made a quick mock-up with that colour and, looks pretty good...

[​IMG]

13. danzigdan

danzigdan Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2014
    NYS
  14. THRobinson

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    Ya I figured maybe that colour as well, because Ford... Fender/Gibson seemed to be big fans of Ford/GM colours primarily, but ya, most of the images I saw of it were closer to being a mint colour almost.

Few Fender colours I haven't figured out yet. My P Bass Squier I wanted to paint Midnight Wine, and no one seemed to know what it was either. Likely will use Dark Toreador Red Metallic, which is a Ford colour and seems close.

Jade Green Metallic, never found that. I think Nissan maybe Toyota has a colour that name, but definitely doesn't look the same.

We need an updated chart. Most of the basic classic colours have been figured out... but many that haven't.

15. THRobinson

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    Hmm... painting today finally, and not quite the same colour. Colour is close, but a bit too much white added I think. Kinda stuck debating to either keep painting or get another colour.

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  16. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Looks like military olive to me..

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  17. Biddlin

Biddlin Squier-Meister

Apr 15, 2019
    SACRAMENTO. Ca usas
  18. One of the members some yeas ago (no longer posting that I know of) did a Sage green rattle can paint on an Affinity.
    It's lighter in color than you want but I liked the color enough to save a pic.

Sage Green Strat 01.jpg

Cheers, Barrie.

dbrian66, daan, CVSteve and 2 others like this.
  19. THRobinson

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    Well... that photo isn't Olive Drab, it's actually Commando Green... which is close, but not the same. I used it already for a guitar I built my nephew last year. Frankencaster with a Frankenstein paint job.

[​IMG]

theflow, dbrian66, DrBeGood and 6 others like this.
  20. THRobinson

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    So... tried that VW paint, and was either mixed wrong or not the right photo because came out very... minty.

Sat there at the shop an hour flipping through books of paint, and finally found 2 colours that were both extremely close and on the same page for the same car. One of those where one was the right colour not dark enough, the other was the right tone but needed a hint for yellow/green... but also depended on which photo you looked at online.

I ended up grabbing Toyota 1970-72 Nebula Green (Dupont T0622) ... the Fashion Green was also really close. Was a hard choice. Just sprayed my guitar with Nebula Green and very happy with the colour.

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice