Can you recommned a bass amp for about $100 or maybe $200

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by edsdds, May 8, 2020.

1. edsdds

edsdds Squier Talker

Jul 21, 2015
    Minnesota
    Got my daughter a very nice bass from a fella here on the forum. Its a Vintage Modified SS bass. So need a an amp that would go great with this. Are the Rumble basses pretty much a nice go to amp? Not really needing a bunch of effects, though taht would be cool.

Thanks

Eddie and BlueSquirrel like this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    I would suggest this - it's going to have way more punchy tone and sound a lot better for bass, made by Ampeg....

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amp...08v2-1x8-bass-combo-amplifier/j06427000000000

3. Dinomikesr

Dinomikesr Squier-Meister

Nov 25, 2019
    South-East
    I've got a Rumble 40 that I like. Bass isn't my primary instrument and I use it to add to my own jam track. Sounds pretty good, was a good price and I've had it a couple years with no complaints. What surprised me was the punch it has and how crazy light it is.

MyToyBrain, Eddie and edsdds like this.
  4. Dinomikesr

Dinomikesr Squier-Meister

Nov 25, 2019
    South-East
    Added this:

radiotech and Eddie like this.
  5. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Well rumble 40 has 10” speaker and the Ampeg linked has an 8” like not really the same amp comparison. I have played a rumble 40 in a store and it was nice. Now if you go on the used market by all means look at Ampeg, Hartke, or GK plus some others. GK are notoriously light and sound good, since she’s a girl may be something to consider...

Eddie, Deepblankspace and edsdds like this.
  6. edsdds

edsdds Squier Talker

Jul 21, 2015
    Minnesota
    Yeah might have to go new. The Minnesota used gear market sucks. Usually around here the bear deals on Craigslist or my own.

I have found very nice stuff online used but amps are usually a pain to ship. The ampeg and rumble looks nice. Would be cool to have a built in tuner. The overdrive on the Rumble looks useful.

Also this would be for bedroom jamming with a drum set that has silent stroke heads and a guitar setup with a THR5 so those small ones should be enough.

Eddie likes this.
  7. marshallartist

marshallartist Squier Talker

Apr 18, 2020
    Sweet Home Chicago
    I second Guitarmageddon's suggestion. I have this amp which I believe I paid right at $100 for and I've been very pleased. It doesn't have a lot of whistles and bells but I find that can be a distraction to actually learning to play your instrument. I tried several amps in the < $200 range before settling in on this one. As I recall the Rumble 15 and 25 were nice amps as well but after handling them I felt like the Ampeg was better constructed. YMMV.

edsdds and Eddie like this.
  8. edsdds

edsdds Squier Talker

Jul 21, 2015
    Minnesota
    Just listened to some youtube samples. The Fender sounds very nice and very Fender but the Ampeg sounds tighter than the Fender. Has that been your findings?

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  9. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    Yeah tighter, punchier, etc - it's the amp of choice for Many bassists, I mean they're using the high end tube stuff mostly, but that 'Ampeg tone' spirit is still in these entry level amps.....

edsdds likes this.
  10. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN

I'm guessing you're not near the cities? There's deals all the time in the Minneapolis-Saint Paul area. Not super common on bass amps, but just about everything else.

edsdds likes this.
  11. MyToyBrain

MyToyBrain Squier Talker

Mar 17, 2020
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    I just bought the Rumble 25 for a hundred new. Great amp!

Treehouse and edsdds like this.
  12. edsdds

edsdds Squier Talker

Jul 21, 2015
    Minnesota
    Actually I am in Woodbury. Music Go Rounds are kinda nuts on prices and Craigslist can be crazy sometimes. Again this is for entry level stuff the higher end $1,000 and above is easier to find it seems. It could also be me since I am from Los Angeles and out there you can usually find 10 of everything used.

13. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    well if you can get a 15" speaker, it is going to help A LOT.
    I bought a cheap Ampeg B108 that is a 20 watt solid state. I put a 15 under it and it sound like this:

Sorry bout the double vision

14. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The Vox Pathfinder 10 for bass is amazing. It's so small that it looks like a toy, but when you plug it in, out comes fat, full, clear, and punchy bass sounds from those little speakers. It was the best bang for the buck bass amp at the store where I worked.

edsdds likes this.
  15. edsdds

edsdds Squier Talker

Jul 21, 2015
    Minnesota
    That is a very cool looking amp and sounds decent on the reviews. Looking around if you jump to $200 there are sooooo many options I am going nuts :)

Some have built in features like effects, tuner, compressor, drive, etc etc. Was checking out the Vox VX50BA, Fender Rumble LT25, Orange Crush 25 etc. So many options.

16. pfapin

pfapin Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    the ILL side
    I can vouge for the orange crush 50 amp... if you can find one for around $200 you will like its sounds.

17. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Ventura
    I have a BA112v2 by Ampeg. Great little amp but it might be slightly out of the price range. Having said that, if I had to do over again I’d do the BA115v2. Size does matter.

18. edsdds

edsdds Squier Talker

Jul 21, 2015
    Minnesota
    So ended up ordering the Rumble 25. I liked the idea of having overdrive and the contour feature seems nice. I think the Fender is ported too.

Honestly these videos were the sound samples I used to make my decision. The Fender sounded better to me but I guess that is what return policies are for LOL. Thanks for the input.

Fender

Ampeg

Treehouse likes this.
  19. Jmv668

Jmv668 Squier-Nut

Feb 21, 2017
    Chile
    Used fender rumble.
    Or use more money and go for a old 90’ Ampeg B50 or B100 , awesome sound.

20. Treehouse

Treehouse Squier-Meister

Dec 4, 2019
    The Arboritum
    Bet that Fender will be awesome.

Probably can’t beat the new rumbles in Weight to watts ratio!

edsdds likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice