Calling Rocco - Solid Body E9

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Acidhouse, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    Okay, the mystery of my E9 always gets me. No one else ever reports having a solid body. You had posted previously that some E9s had ping tuners. I'm wondering if the E9s with pings may be solid bodies. In a previous post, you posted pics of a cream E9 with pings. That one looks identical to mine in everything but paint. I wonder if that would have been a solid body. FWIW, I'm not sure what the wood is but I have my doubts it's basswood. It weighs in at 8.5 lbs. The similar nature in weight makes me wonder if it's not ash as my Pro Tone is 9lbs. It would be interesting to chase down the E9s with pings and see if they are solid. If so, I would put these up there with the YCs. The tuners aren't the Gotohs but they are really good, smooth turning pings like on the Pro Tone. If anyone has an E9 standard Strat with pings on it, I would be curious about what the body is made of.
    http://www.squier-talk.com/forum/sq...87-e7-bullet-vs-mik-1989-e9-stratocaster.html

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    mb doug likes this.
  2. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Squier-holic

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Theres still missing "info" on the E9 lineup...

For example they seemed to possibly build some of the very 1st E9s at the Young Chang factory... Ive seen an MIK E9 Precision bass that was actually an E7 Bullet bass built by YC. It said it was an E9 PBass on the headstock but the serial # was done silver like an E7/E10 strat or E10 Tele or E10 Jazz Bass... And everything about the bass was E7 Bullet Bass... But it said it was an E9 PBass on the headstock...

Then theres the funky E9 Bullets... The E7 Bullets came serial # on neck plate while the E9 Bullets came with serial on headstock... But ive seen a couple E9 Bullets with serial # on neck plate like an E7 Bullet... They had normal E9 block style saddles tho... Definatly not YC parts for that... But these unlike normal E9 Bullets came with ping style tuners. Not traps...

Then ya have the timeline on ping tuners for the normal E9 strats and Teles. The 1988 catalog shows the E9 model with an 8 screw pickguard. And the 1989 E9 models came with 10 screw pickguards... So ya figure you could then track down when they used the ping tuners based on finding E9s, checking out the pickguards, then the tuners. And see if they did them in 1988 or 1989...

From what ive found almost all E9s came with an 8 screw pickguard. Very few seem to have come with a 10 screw.... Leaving me to wonder if they just didn't build many E9s in 1989... The 8 screw versions seem to have traps... Leaving me to wonder if the ping tuner versions were put out at some point during 1989. This would wouldnt explain why u see ping tuners on the E9 Bullets that came with serial number on neck plate instead of headstock like normal tho... These seem like they would have been the 1st E9 Bullets made and they were still putting serial # on neck plate like an E7 model at that point... Along with pings... But maybe that wasn't how it went and they built those last? Still trying to figure it all out at moment... Need more pics of E9s...

Zzzz... 1989 10 screw E9 models with both ping and trap tuners...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  3. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    It would be very cool if we could ID a distinct E9 standard Strat that was a solid body. I checked the bay and there is a very nice condition red one but it had the trap tuners.
    I had an E9 Bullet but my recollection is that it had the SN on the headstock. It was one of my first refin projects so I can state definitively that it was solid basswood.
    I'm pretty sure my E9 was not YC. The routing is different.
    This is a link to my photoshop folder. Pics galore of it.
    http://s299.photobucket.com/user/Alabama1995/library/Squier MIK E9 LPB?sort=3&page=1

4. Roccobagadonuts

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Yea, your E9 wouldn't be one of the weird possibly Young Chang built versions. If YC did build some of the E9s they didn't build many and they would have been the very 1st ones... Yours is one of the last E9s built...

This is an E7 Bullet Bass... Possibly Young Chang built??? Its not an E9 PBass... It says its an E9 PBass. It isn't... I have an E9 PBass and my sister has an E7 Bullet Bass... So I definatly know what it is... Silver serial # on an E9? I think this is Young Chang...

Zzzz... E7 Bullet Bass that says its an E9 PBass...

Attached Files:

5. Roccobagadonuts

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Then there was a guitar Squier Josh found on his local Clist awhile back... It ended up being a partscaster with a modern era gun metal grey Standard series body but the neck seemed to come from one of the super rare silver serial # E9 models that was possible Young Chang built...

It didn't have gotoh tuners on the neck tho according to Josh and it didn't have the black roller trees either. But im thinkin its been like around 28 years since that neck was built. And someone went partscaster with it... So maybe it originally did have gotoh tuners on it? And the black roller trees? Like a YC neck would have? Ya cant see the actual serial # in the pic but Josh said it was definatly E9 but done in the hard to see silver like the E7/E10 stuff...

Zzzzzz... Super rare and then some E9 strat neck with YC style silver serial #... No gotohs and no black roller trees tho...

Attached Files:

6. Roccobagadonuts

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    I also looked into the E9 ping tuner thing again. Seems I remembered the E9 Bullets wrong. They came with ping tuners. For some reason I thought most came with traps but some came with pings. Now that I look at them again it seems they came with pings...

Then theres the strats and teles. It seems the E9s with ping tuners were the very last ones built. And they didn't build many... The last Tele built with trap tuners I can find is #E969804... I have an E9 tele neck with ping tuners in my condo... Its #E972179... So somewhere between 70,000th tele built and 72,179th tele built they changed over from traps to pings... I cant find any teles with a higher serial # then mine... So it must of been one of the last ones built...

The last E9 strat built that I can find would be that arctic white model with pings that is E974185... Your E9 with ping tuners is E72098... I found E970091... It had trap tuners... So much like the Tele model, the strats also changed from traps somewhere around between 70,000 and 72000 it seems... With the highest serial # being found on any strat and tele so far being #E974185... So it seems like they maybe built around 2000 to 4000 of each models at the end of the run with ping style tuners... Now I guess its on to trying to figure out if these 4 to 8000 guitars were actually wood or not...

Zzzz... E970091... Trap tuners... You can tell by the shape of the knobs...

Attached Files:

7. Roccobagadonuts

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Oh yea, if these did end up being wood, they aren't gonna be easy to find... If the 1st 70,000 strats were trap tuners and ply and the last say 3000 built were ping tuners and wood... It means that only 1 out of every 24 E9 strats built would be the wood version... So they wont be popping up for sale every week that's for sure...

8. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    It makes them a really great find. I would love to see what the wood is underneath one. Not willing to sand mine down though. :lol:

9. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    I did a lot of research yesterday, I still haven't found another confirmed E9 Standard Strat with the pings and solid wood. I really need to find one with pings and then confirm if it is solid wood to know if we are onto something. You mentioned the one that Squier Josh had, if the Gotohs had been removed, those would have left little holes as the Gotohs have the screws on the back, if they were swapped, it would be obvious.

Of course I have strongly suspected that the E9s, at least in large part, were Corts. On Rockape's awesome site, he has a Pro Tone dismantled showing the routing with the black paint.
    http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/theprotonepage.htm
    Here is a pic of mine showing the same routing and black shield paint. It even has the same indentions in the neck humbucker routing like the Pro Tone on 21 Frets.
    [​IMG]
    Mine also has the Pro Tone style trem cover with the six parallel holes as opposed to the traditional trem covers that have the middle holes offset from each other.
    I'm also fairly certain that the HM Series were Corts because Cort had a guitar in their own line that had the same pointy headstock as the Squier HMs. Whether Cort took over the E9 designation from YC and whether Cort was responsible for all E9s, I have no clue.
    Also, you are right that the E9 Bullets had pings. That was my recollection as well. I thought I still had pics of the E9 Bullet refin but they probably got wiped out of some failing computer hard drive.

I figure it will be a good idea to keep coming back to this thread to solve the mystery of solid body Standard Strat E9.

10. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    Okay, I found the pics of the E9 Bullet. I am going to venture a guess that this was not made in the same factory as mine above. There are a lot of differences.

The trem cover is the more traditional offset.
    [​IMG]

Routing is different.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a shot of it with pings
    [​IMG]

11. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2010
    MN
    Very impressive memory, Rocco! Everything you said is what I remembered about that oddball guitar.

12. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    SJ,
    Do you remember whether there was evidence of the Gotohs being removed, i.e. the little screw holes underneath?

13. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2010
    MN
    I don't remember, but I would think they were covered by the new tuners if there were any holes.

14. Roccobagadonuts

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Thanks... It can be somewhat of a curse at times. But it can be rather helpful as well... Comes in really handy at say getting deals on guitars that's for sure. I pretty much ID every Squier I see the moment I see it. Lets ya just scroll thru all the lists really quick without much effort. Lets ya beat people to the punch as well as by the time they know what it is u already bought it...

Can be a pain in a$$ at same time tho as well. Like u start making an effort to not let people know something... As people can become annoyed if ur constantly correcting them or giving an answer... Sittin at a dinner table with large groups of people while folks talk can be especially maddening heh... Nonstop stuff ya hear that isn't actually so but ya just try ur hardest to not say anything... Luckily I don't have it as bad as it can get tho. I do forget a lot of stuff... Some folks never seem to forget anything. They know what they did 24 years ago on a certain day at a certain time... Some folks think that would be a good thing but ill defiantly pass...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  15. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    I think I may have finally found another solid body MIK E9 Strat. Has the trap tuners.

Fender Squier Stratocaster - E9 Serial Number - 1989 - Aged Whitehttps://applink.reverb.com/item/4809910-fender-squier-stratocaster-e9-serial-number-1989-aged-white

IMG_4580.JPG

IMG_4581.JPG

IMG_4582.JPG

squierbilly and duggerh like this.