Bullets: plywood or not?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by bugo, Sep 19, 2011.

1. bugo

bugo Squier-Meister

I have read conflicting information on the late model Bullets. Somewhere I read that they were solid wood, while at another site I read that they were plywood. I know that some early 90s Squiers were plywood, but I thought they quit making them in the mid to late 90s. So what's the truth?

2. jkurtz7

jkurtz7 Squier Talker

The current production Bullets have solid basswood bodies.

3. BiggBaddWolf

BiggBaddWolf Squier-holic

+1 for solid basswood, affinity's are alder, and standards are agathis, not sure about the rest

4. hudsonnh

hudsonnh Squier-holic

I thought that at least the recent Affinities were agathis? Almost certain that's what was on the old Squier website.

5. sfcmark

sfcmark Squier-Nut

The Affinity Hello Kitty Strat is Agathis, as far as I've read, but the rest of the current production Affinity Strats and Teles are Alder, though they're thinner than other models at ~ 1 1/2".

6. hudsonnh

hudsonnh Squier-holic

Yes - thinner body on the Affinity, we have a 2007 from a Strat Pack that came with a Frontman 15G amp...body is actually about 1 5/8th - probaly an 1/8th inch of all that paint!

The Fender website area for Squier is confusing to me....one version of the Affinity "Special" that comes in a Pack has specs that say it's Agathis, another version of an Affinity Pack is silent, as is the SE Special Pack, and the regular old Affinity is listed as Alder.
    The Standard Strat is also listed as having an Alder body.

Oh...we're supposed to be talking about Bullets....the current website info says basswood.

7. lboorse2

lboorse2 Squier-holic

Just for reference, there's usually a quick way to tell if it's ply or not. Pull a pickup out or unfasten the neck. If it's ply, you'll see the "plies" in the cross-section where the neck pocket or pickup routes are cut out.

8. nomadh

nomadh Squier-Nut

I think some stickers on the std's even state alder/agathis like they have no idea what is going to come out. At this price point we can't expect a lot of consistency. From week to week the factory will do what it takes to save money. And how many factories and different assembly lines have made these guitars over the years? I am glad they went back to solid wood. Not that I hear or feel any consistent difference I just prefer it. Mainly because I hope any guitar I own will eventually have a wood grain finish.
    My question is when will they start making bodies out of plastic resin. I actually have a cheapie bass and its body is definitely not wood. I don't think its even any type of wood pulp. Just a lightweight plastic resin.