Bullet Strat HT HSS or Affinity Telecaster HH - first guitar

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by tommykai0210, Jul 11, 2018.

1. tommykai0210

tommykai0210 New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Bắc Ninh
    Hi everyone, I was wanting to see if y'all could offer me a few opinions:

What is a better first guitar: Bullet Strat HT HSS or an Affinity Telecaster HH? This will be used for anything from classic rock, Johnny Cash, Metallica, ACDC, etc.

I have ordered a VOX Pathfinder 10 for the amp.

Thanks!

dbrian66 and brians like this.
  2. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Both are great. Try them both on for size and see which one fits you better.

Is it for you? If so, get both.

3. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-holic

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    does it have to be a strat? you can also go for a (used) epiphone SG, might be a better choice for the music you wanna play

dbrian66 likes this.
  4. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    I prefer teles in general, but TheKurdtz is right....a good SG would fit the bill nicely.

TheKurdtz and dbrian66 like this.
  5. brians

brians Squier-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    My quick portable/home player rig is Pathfinder 10 and Bullet Strat sss, been a while now and it works great for me, I've even miced that amp at jams and it's great.My suggestion is the Bullet HT if you don't want the trem, it's good to have the single coils for the Strat soul.
    Just my choice.
    Check out the options above ,but Squier is the deal for me, have others including a Ephi, but my old Bullet does it for me.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    dbrian66 likes this.
  6. brians

brians Squier-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Here's a pic for fun 1531313005394.jpg

duggerh, squierbilly and dbrian66 like this.
  7. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Meister

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I would go for the Affinity Tele vs the HT Strat. There is just something about a Tele. My first Squier was an Affinity Strat and it turned out to be a great mod project. However, once I got my Std. Series Tele, I was hooked. I even built my own Tele Partscaster and it is one of my favorite guitars.

duggerh and dbrian66 like this.
  8. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2010
    MN
    I personally find Squier Teles to be higher quality overall than the Strats. Not sure why. More moving parts on a Strat, I guess, and since the parts are cheap...?

dbrian66 likes this.
  9. ponca

ponca Squier-Meister

Oct 13, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Get whichever one looks and feels cooler to you. Genuinely, the most important thing about a first guitar (as long as you clear a certain quality baseline, which all Squiers do) is that the vibe really makes you want to pick it up and play it.

squierbilly and dbrian66 like this.
  10. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I like Strats and Teles. I would go play both and see what you like better before you order one.

dbrian66 likes this.
  11. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Like others have said, if you have the opportunity, go play both and see which one you like better.

As far as my opinion on which one of those is a better first guitar, I would go with the bullet. Both are hard tails which is great for a first guitar, but the bullet has a more wide range of tones because of the pick up configuration. You don’t know yet if your a single coil guy or a humbucker type of guy. With the bullet you can play around with all the different pickups and see what you like and use that info to buy your second guitar.

Good luck and welcome to the best forum on the internet.

12. brians

brians Squier-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    I second that, this is a really down to earth , friendly forum without any snobbery or BS that I have come across, and I'm on a few , for a longish time, well said

duggerh likes this.
  13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Meister

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    I'd go for the Tele myself. I'm just not a big fan of the HSS Strat configuration, preferring either SSS or HH. But, it's really down to which you like the best. Both are equal in terms of build quality from what I've observed.

On the Epiphone SGs in the same price range, I've found the to be lower quality than comparable Squiers. These problems aren't difficult to deal with if you know what you're doing but could discourage a beginner. More expensive Epiphones measure up better though.

14. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2010
    MN
    General rule I've heard on Epipone SGs is to stay away from the bolt on models. But it seems like the Special II bolt ons are just fine. Not sure why the hate for the SGs.

15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Meister

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    I have a SG Special and a LP Jr and I've worked on a few other Epiphones for friends and acquaintances. The nut and the fret work are the main problem areas. I had to replace the nut on my SG and almost all I've worked on needed fret leveling and sprout smoothing, more than on any Squier I've seen in recent years.

The tuners are covered gear style that will hold tune OK if you know how to loop and lock string good but are a problem for newer players.

Pickups on the SG are very hot ceramic pickups that are lacking. An inexpensive high output ceramic like the Guitar Madness Dark Matter is a great improvement if you want that kind of tone. I have a set of GM Alnico 2's that do a very good vintage sound on mine. The stock P90 on the Jr is perfect though.

squierjosh likes this.