Bullet Mustang - show and explain your mods

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by xtomx2000, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Nathan1709

Nathan1709 Squier Talker

Dec 30, 2017
    Reading
    I used the light tan and I ended up with a still very pale neck but better than the starting point. I might take it apart again and have another go with the dark tan when I change the pickguard.

fendereedo likes this.
  2. MoE98

MoE98 New Member

Friday
    Germany
    Hey! I wanna put some kind of whammy bar on it, what do y'all reckon is gonna fit? No idea what might...

3. oakn

oakn Squier Talker

Dec 25, 2017
    Sweden
    Something top mounted I'd say since the body is so thin. The ones that comes to mind are Bigsby, Vibrola and Dusenberg Les Trem.

4. oakn

oakn Squier Talker

Dec 25, 2017
    Sweden
    Quick mod tip: Use the protective styrofoam from the toggle switch and put underneath the pickguard between the pickups. It's a perfect fit both between the pickups and most importantly to the depth of the pickup cavity. This prevents the pickguard/pickups from vibrating to certain frequencies, which I find irritating. I just fastened it with a bit of double sided tape.

mustang-modtip.jpg

Viking, Pat V. and fendereedo like this.
  5. fendereedo

fendereedo Squier Talker

Aug 12, 2015
    UK
    Stetsbar would be great.

MoE98 likes this.
  6. Wasabipunk

Wasabipunk Squier Talker

Jul 25, 2016
    Seattle
    I love this one!

7. MoE98

MoE98 New Member

Friday
    Germany
    It would be but its also very expensive, would a bigsby work? It'd look interesting as well..

fendereedo likes this.
  8. fendereedo

fendereedo Squier Talker

Aug 12, 2015
    UK
    True, I never thought of that. I just was reeling off another alternative I suppose.

9. oakn

oakn Squier Talker

Dec 25, 2017
    Sweden
    I went with the Kiwi-treatment once again, this time with the mid tan one. It was much better than the brown one, still have a bit of a red tint which can be seen under some lightings and angles. Overall I'm pleased with the result, it's nice to get a slightly darker tint than the original pale white and at the same time polishing the neck to a semi-gloss shine.

kiwi.jpg

fendereedo likes this.
  10. fendereedo

fendereedo Squier Talker

Aug 12, 2015
    UK
    Looks Great!

11. walliswizard

walliswizard Squier Talker

Oct 11, 2017
    England
    I haven't gone nearly as far as any of the amazing mods that are shown in previous posts on this thread. I'm in awe of those!

My mods are simple and just starting really, and it'll be a little bit at a time and as budget permits. Ideally I want to work up to a complete new set of electrics but for now it's all about play-ability.

- I've filled the cavity with copper shielding for no particular reason at all.
    - Polished the frets - they were really scratchy on arrival.
    - Currently on my second set of new strings - trying out Rotosound Yellows (10s) as they are cheaper than my usual Ernie Balls - they seem very good so far.
    - Changed the string trees over to the Graphtech ones.
    - Changed the nut to a Graphtech one.
    - Sanded the edges of the fretboard slightly to make it a bit more worn-in.
    - Adjusted the action.

Next up will be the tuners. The ones that come with the guitar seem OK for such a budget guitar but I think a set of locking tuners of some kind will make all the difference. And then at some point I'll have a another go at dealing with the bridge saddles. Probably need to consider sorting out the high frets too at some point, there are a few there.

For the money this is a great starting point guitar though, and I've been playing every day for the last 3 weeks or so and am already making very obvious improvements considering I (re-)started from nothing. I love it to bits!

IMG_20171229_182036.jpg

IMG_20180113_194414.jpg

12. paulnb57

paulnb57 Squier-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
  13. Rick Sanchez C137

Rick Sanchez C137 Squier Talker

Saturday
    usa
    A lot of really awesome 'stangs here...inspired me to not only mod mine but join the forum as well.
    I got a surf green fsr for Xmas and have been busy since. I added a gfs power rail humbucker up front a bridge with offset saddles full size pots with treble bleed on the volume and new .022 cap, brown kiwi on the neck new knobs and strung her up with 48-11 strings 20180113_172150.jpg

14. thehalovex

thehalovex Squier Talker

Oct 7, 2017
    Bristol, England, UK
    Awesome, thanks for your reply! Which colour Kiwi did you use by the way?

15. thehalovex

thehalovex Squier Talker

Oct 7, 2017
    Bristol, England, UK
    I do like the look of the stetsbar trem system and will probably go for that if my first choice wont fit. I'd, ideally, like to fit an original mustang Vibro. Has anyone tried?

16. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I used brown on the Mustangs.

17. lethal dose

lethal dose New Member

Yesterday
    SC, USA
    Good stuff, guys. Are the timers standard 10mm openings that’ll work with any run of the mill Grover, etc.? What seems to be the preferred direct replacements? Also, has anyone come across a direct fit bridge, yet? When intonated, my screws don’t touch the strings, but the strings dig into the bottom of the saddles which causes some instability in tuning. I’ve seen lots of replacemts, and suggestions like the GFS (which appears to be a bit off in regards to dimensions- which is a shame), but haven’t seen a drop in offering. Changing the saddles doesn’t seem to fix the problem of the strings digging into the bottoms of them. Thanks, guys!