Bullet Mustang - show and explain your mods

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by xtomx2000, Apr 23, 2017.

1. paulnb57

paulnb57 Squier-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Isle of Wight UK
    The wood looks much better than I expected, it looks great! Well done!

2. tommasoc

tommasoc Squier Talker

Dec 12, 2017
    ITALY
    Thank you guys, I show you some photo of the body during the progress.
    I had to use a wood treatment oil to cover it because in a real natural state sucks.... :D
    By the way, the body is full of layers underneath the paint!
    WhatsApp Image 2018-01-02 at 12.38.38.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2018-01-02 at 12.38.38 (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2018-01-02 at 12.38.39 (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2018-01-02 at 12.38.39 (2).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2018-01-02 at 12.38.39.jpeg

mb doug, oakn and fendereedo like this.
  3. tommasoc

tommasoc Squier Talker

Dec 12, 2017
    ITALY
  4. thehalovex

thehalovex Squier Talker

Oct 7, 2017
    Bristol, England, UK
    I love the '70s yellow that you've done on the neck. Did you remove and replace the original decals? I've never restained a neck before...

5. oakn

oakn Squier Talker

Dec 25, 2017
    Sweden
    Thank you so much for this post! I wanted to buy a Bullet Mustang to strip it clean, but I wasn't sure (cheap guitar, wood grain, number of glued pieces etc.). Now that I've seen yours... I ordered one, no actually, I ordered two, you know just in case.

How did you remove the finish? Heat gun and scrape?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  6. tommasoc

tommasoc Squier Talker

Dec 12, 2017
    ITALY
    Thank you, I'm glad my photos helped you :)
    Yes, heat gun and scrape.
    Be careful with the heat gun because it's easy to burn the wood,
    I have no idea about the wood type but it's soft.

7. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    I'd like to get one just for modding, but times are tough for $$$.

8. xtomx2000

xtomx2000 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hey MrBob, after all, I followed your advice and this bridge works really very well! So thanks for this!

IMG_0002.JPG

I also installed vintage tuners with plastic knobs.

IMG_0003.JPG

9. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Sorry I missed this post.... On the Bullet Mustangs, I did not remove or replace the original decal. I Kiwi'd right over them.

thehalovex likes this.
  10. oakn

oakn Squier Talker

Dec 25, 2017
    Sweden
    That's beautiful. Now I kind of question my own choice, I went for a Schaller 3D-6 which is really great but also very modern looking (which I'm not a huge fan of).

11. chromedmustang

chromedmustang Squier Talker

Jan 8, 2018
    Ireland
    Hi All,

First post here. I've split the coils on the stock humbuckers (while they are taped to look like 2-wire humbuckers, if you remove the first layer of tape, they are indeed 4 wire, you will see the south ground and north hot are simply soldered together which is necessary anyway to split the humbucker to single coils). The conversion with a push/pull pot worked great. I also installed and wired a kill switch. You can see the whole process (including mistakes along the way) on youtube here:

I also bought a new pickguard form the ebay seller, earlpilanz (£27, they cut them specifically for the squier bullet mustang), and other chromed odds and ends to change the aesthetic. All told it cost £54 to make these modifications.

IMG_20180108_220918.jpg

As I note in the video, I felt the Imperial Blue doesn't mod aesthetically as well as the black model. I felt chrome was the way to go.
    IMG_20180108_220911.jpg

I plan on changing out the tuners, at the moment the stock tuners are having trouble holding on to the 6th string (11-49 gauge).
    IMG_20180108_202308.jpg

Here are the pickup ohms and polarity for those interested:
    IMG_20180106_080316.jpg

The mods were good fun. I'm pleased with the end result both aesthetically and mechanically. I look forward to hearing your thoughts...

Thank you.

mb doug, oakn, fendereedo and 2 others like this.
  12. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for documenting your project journey.

chromedmustang likes this.
  13. Nathan1709

Nathan1709 Squier-Meister

Dec 30, 2017
    Reading
    Question for you guys. I'm thinking of getting a red tort pg from earlpilanz myself. First question are the screw holes in the right places? And, secondly do I need to be able to solder to reconnect the pickup selector or does it unscrew? I couldn't really tell when I opened my mustang up and I was too nervous to mess about with it too much as I have 0 electrical skills!

14. chromedmustang

chromedmustang Squier Talker

Jan 8, 2018
    Ireland
    Hi, the pickguard lines up perfectly with the screws, plate, bridge, and neck. It is made specifically for this guitar. I was very pleased, though it was expensive. The guard even comes with grounding tape.

No soldering, the three way switch unscrews.

It fundamentally changed the look of the guitar for the better.

Nathan1709 likes this.
  15. Nathan1709

Nathan1709 Squier-Meister

Dec 30, 2017
    Reading
    Cheers. I'll go ahead and do it then!

16. Mr Bob

Mr Bob Squier-Nut

Nov 11, 2011
    Bedfordshire
    Glad it worked out for you - I have that same bridge on my Mustang too now.

xtomx2000 likes this.
  17. oakn

oakn Squier Talker

Dec 25, 2017
    Sweden
    So I went on a short scale shopping spree (2 Mustangs and a Jag). The blue one has gotten a new bridge (Schaller 3D-6) and a set of no-name locking tuners. Did some quick fret polishing and removed the logo, not because I dislike Squier, I just like plain headstocks. I gave the neck some Kiwi-treatment, but it turned out way too red for my liking (used the brown one) so I sanded it back down.
    It will probably not be blue that much longer, I'll strip it down and stain it mocha brown (like tommasoc shown previously in the thread). The black one is left stock for now, but will eventually get a new black pickguard, bridge and tuners.

2mustang1s.jpg 2mustang2s.jpg 2mustang3s.jpg

Also: The toggle switches has to go, I hit them all the time while I'm playing.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    mb doug and chromedmustang like this.
  18. fendereedo

fendereedo Squier-Meister

Aug 12, 2015
    UK
    I think the Kiwi has to be the light, or dark tan and not brown. The black goes like the colour of a bad bruise. I bought a few the other day. The best result on a piece of scrap wood seemed to be the light tan followed by the dark tan. The brown was way too red. I've decided on dark tan, I just like the shade.

19. fendereedo

fendereedo Squier-Meister

Aug 12, 2015
    UK
    Seems to be a few folks here not liking the blue and wanting to change it for something else. I got the black. Still waiting to change either the stock bridge, or saddles.

20. oakn

oakn Squier Talker

Dec 25, 2017
    Sweden
    I was actually impressed with the blue, but I don't think it's as versatile as the black one (aesthetically). The blue one looks the best if it's going towards a classy look, like chromedmustang's one.

fendereedo and chromedmustang like this.