Bullet Mustang - show and explain your mods

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by xtomx2000, Apr 23, 2017.

1. CranstonPacific

CranstonPacific New Member

May 18, 2020
    Spain
    Hey! I'm new around here, and since this thread helped me so much with my Bullet Mustang mods I thought I'd share mine so far. I saw a beautiful natural finish Mustang hanging in a music shop in Korea about 5 years ago and loved how it looked so rough and worn down. Sadly the shop was closed every single day I went to look at it, so that's what I'm going for with this one.

I tried varnishing the neck but I put it on too thick so sanded it back down, now it feels a little rough but I don't want to ruin it even more by trying again. Besides, there are dead frets from the 15th-17th frets on most of the strings that just won't go away no matter what I try, so I'm thinking about getting a Warmoth neck one day. I know, the neck will be more expensive than the rest of the guitar, but it's my least favourite thing about the guitar.

I'm still waiting on the Toronado bridge I bought over a month ago, and thinking about switching the pickups for some Bare Knuckle low-output strat pickups, but if anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

[​IMG]

EDIT: I also changed the knobs to Kluson witch hat knobs, and the tuners to Kluson butterbean tuners.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  2. guitalias

guitalias Squier Talker

Apr 21, 2020
    Australia
    Is this photo a Squier Bullet Mustang HH? You don't mention changed pickguard, knobs & removing logo from headstock.
    I'm interested in going natural look also, but a bloke on youTube found his had a thin veneer on the back under the poly, so I've been put off the idea.

3. CranstonPacific

CranstonPacific New Member

May 18, 2020
    Spain
    It is! The pickguard is original, and the logo came off along with my first failed varnishing attempt. Was that the 60cyclehum video? I saw that too but mine didn't have a veneer.

4. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
  5. guitalias

guitalias Squier Talker

Apr 21, 2020
    Australia
    Oh, your pickguard looks 3 ply w/b/w? Mine is all white on sonic grey body. Yeah, the 60cyclehum vid, did you see it b4 or after you started? His vid has put me off the idea.

6. Tele-kitty

Tele-kitty Squier-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Florida
    VM51SQ likes this.
  7. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    Thanks! It was a piece of scrap metal I got from work. It's not perfect, but over all came out pretty good.

8. WickedPickett

WickedPickett New Member

May 22, 2020
    Santa Monica, CA
    Hi, been using this thread for reference while I've been modifying an Olympic White Bullet Mustang. I replaced the stock saddles with a stainless steel set that I got through ebay. It's a major improvement. I just replaced the ceramic bar magnets in the pickups with alnico 4. They're now capable of producing a clean tone, which is what I was hoping for, but they also sound kind of flat and murky. I'm wondering if the pickups are a little too overwound to pair with the alnico 4 magnets. Would an alnico 5 or 8 bring back that fender clarity and brightness without immediately driving the amp to the point of break-up the way the ceramics did? Any advice would be appreciated

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  9. smallerthings

smallerthings Squier Talker

Jun 7, 2019
    USA
    This was a long day. I don't have a proper router, so I hacked up the inside of the cavity, sanded it out, and shielded to hide my dirty work.

I got a loaded Classic Vibe pickguard. I got new black covers, but they didn't fit, so I Sharpied the white ones.

I got a custom pickguard made and here we are.

The control plate and pickups came unsoldered and I had some trouble figuring out what to do. I figured it out with the help of the internet. My soldering is pretty bad, but it's functional.

The volume is low compared to my other guitars and needs a boost pedal. Not sure if that's my soldering or just because the rest are humbuckers.

[​IMG]

10. MarkRoick

MarkRoick Squier Talker

Dec 30, 2018
    Norfolk, England
    Looks great smallerthings! I have two Bullets (green and white) that I've put single-coils in, I'm so tempted to get a third one in the same colour as yours and do a Kurt Cobain-esque version with a single at the neck and a humbucker at the bridge.

smallerthings likes this.
  11. rhcpschipper

rhcpschipper Squier Talker

Apr 30, 2020
    The Netherlands
    Finally finished my Bullet Mustang. Took me quite some time because I screwed up the neck with Tru-Oil. Therefore I had to sand the whole neck again to then finish it with Boiled Linseed Oil. Really satisfied with the results of the BLO. This is the reason the decal is gone, which bothers me a little bit. Maybe I’m going to put a new decal on somewhere in the near future.

The Mods on my Mustang:
    1. Refinished the neck(didn’t use any tint)
    2. Kluson Tuners(from germany)
    3. Hand carved bone nut.
    4. Rolled the fingerboard edges.
    5. Polished the frets to a mirror shine.
    6. New string trees(dynaguides from The Netherlands)
    7. Shielded the whole cavity
    8. Replaced the output for a switchcraft.
    9. New bridge saddles(this is what I had available in my stash. Had to make them fit, these where too wide.
    10. Did some aging on the pickguard.

All in all I’m very happy with this guitar and the mods I did. Plays great now, and sounds awesome.

0CACFDBE-E4C2-4909-9486-E5ED8BE97892.jpeg AC459206-EB87-4414-8B61-B5D0B514DE72.jpeg 360AD9D0-226D-4B03-AF5E-3A2D23C4F557.jpeg 1F55A23E-E1D9-4588-B69A-2AF8E6E8519B.jpeg

12. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    It's amazing how good these guitars can be when you make some upgrades, or even just put in the work for a good set up. There's something about the shape and size of this guitar that makes it really playable, and a joy to play! Great job BTW!

rhcpschipper likes this.
  13. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    Looks fantastic! I wouldn't worry about the drop in volume. My humbucker guitars are all a lot louder than my single coils. What color are the racing stripes. I really like them !

smallerthings likes this.
  14. smallerthings

smallerthings Squier Talker

Jun 7, 2019
    USA
    The blue on the body is listed as either Competition Blue or Lake Placid Blue.

To me it looks like a Ice Blue Metallic.

The stripe seems like a blueish gray.

VM51SQ likes this.
  15. jameslandrum2

jameslandrum2 Squier Talker

Oct 22, 2010
    Marietta, GA
    Just finished the mods here. Vintage Jaguar pickups, made a leather pickguard, swapped out to an Allparts Jaguar 7.25 neck with vintage tuners, added aged white knobs and a tusq tree. Be very careful installing the Jag pickups, the Bullet is thinner and you'll drill through if you're not paying attention. Sounds awesome, love the neck. Jastang.JPG

VM51SQ likes this.
  16. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    Looks AWESOME!

17. aclockworkjake

aclockworkjake New Member

Yesterday
    Minnesota
    First post! Been lurking around the forum for a few months now and finally made an account to show the progress I've made on the Bullet Mustang.

Picked up this guitar on the cheap with the intention of having a fun project to work on through quarantine. One thing I didn't expect was just how much I love playing this thing! Started off by replacing the problematic hardtail bridge. I've been looking around to find an old musicmaster or duosonic bridge, but most of them I've seen on ebay have sold for more than I paid for the guitar itself. Decided to try the 'ol "bubba-mod" using a Fender Toronado bridge and some nickel-plated brass saddles. The finishes match almost perfectly between the two, as I wasn't a big fan of the unfinished brass look. The process was fairly simple and straightforward. I centered the saddle holes between the rear holes of the bridge by just eyeballing the distance and marking them with a punch. After the saddles were installed I measured out the mounting holes for the bridge itself as I was most concerned with not mounting the bridge crooked. Once the holes were drilled I mounted the bridge over the pick-guard and traced around the edge of the bridge to mark how to reshape the pick-guard. Using a Dremel tool I reshaped the rear of the pick-guard and was very pleased with the results. While I had everything apart I decided to replace the original pots with some full-size 500k pots as well.

Overall I am very pleased with the results and am surprised by how much more tuning stability there is as well as a huge improvement in tone and sustain.

Next steps I am looking at possibly replacing the white pick-guard with a brown tortoise-shell and changing the pup configuration to HS -- I do REALLY like the sound of this stock bridge pickup. We'll see!

[​IMG]

Block Head Ike likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice