Bullet Mustang - show and explain your mods

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by xtomx2000, Apr 23, 2017.

1. ActivePassive

ActivePassive New Member

Dec 30, 2019
    California
    So I've been going back and forth for about a year on picking up one of these to play around with. I saw this pickguard listed on Reverb and that made me finally decide to buy the guitar. Ended up that it was on sale for $119. Such a steal for this guitar!

Anyhoo...I played it for a few hours through various styles and decided that the pickups sucked. I had just bought some humbuckers for a cheap LP clone I had collecting dust for like 10 years. Decided to throw them in the Mustang instead.

Here's what I've done so far:

New Pickups: BYOGuitar Eruption (They're just rebranded Tonerider Rocksongs)
    All new electronics - CTS 500k pots with a CDE Mallory .047uf 250v 150M cap.
    Fender P-Bass knobs
    Replaced the saddles with some old Fender stamped saddles that I had in the parts box.
    Conditioned the fretboard and polished up the frets.
    Threw on some Ernie Ball 10's

Man...what a fun little guitar this is! Can't believe how good this neck is for the price! The neck alone is worth the cost of the whole guitar.

The nut is complete garbage, so that will be next to go. Not a huge fan of the bridge. I either need to shorten the screws or I might just try that ebay bridge that was posted earlier in the thread. Between the nut and those saddle screws, I'm getting some buzz and I can't intonate it correctly. Other than that, I am loving this guitar so far!

My next project is the Strat next to it. 92 MIM is finally getting new Bootstrap pickups and electronics after almost 28 years.

IMG_0544.jpg

santos and GustangMcstang like this.
  2. Vinny570

Vinny570 Squier Talker

Jan 17, 2020
    Wyoming, Pa
    F94F883B-0D05-4A61-B9A0-463046DCF8E1.jpeg EA422342-0E0B-4D55-8794-CB0BFF717796.jpeg A1CB926C-6D52-4FC4-AD45-8E346CBCEF2E.jpeg

You guys are doing a great job, all these guitars look awesome! I wouldn’t consider this a mod but here it is anyway. The Strat needed a buddy so I picked up the mustang local buy for $90. Just tightened all the nuts, filed and sanded the fret ends, sanded and oiled the fretboard, set the neck, put a full black pickguard on and a set of DR 10’s Blues. She feels and sounds great, can’t put her down! I’m new to all this, just started teaching myself to play about 3 months ago and got 2 guitars already. Man, this site is great, so much knowledge out there. Love it!

santos and ActivePassive like this.
  3. benjammin420

benjammin420 Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2010
    USA
    Does anyone have staggered locking tuners on their Mustang? Looking for something that will fit with minimal effort

4. Orien

Orien New Member

Feb 7, 2020
    London
    Hey Ben, I put some gotoh staggered locking tuners on mine, they fit straight in. Will post pics soon :)

benjammin420 likes this.
  5. robot

robot Squier Talker

Dec 4, 2017
    UK
    [​IMG]
    These are Jin Ho locking tuners that can be found under various distributor brands, and on several brands of guitar, e.g. Reverend. I've had no problems with them at all, I've since changed to mother of pearl-look buttons. If I was doing it again, I would go for vintage split shaft with cream buttons.

drewcp and benjammin420 like this.
  6. explodeder

explodeder Squier Talker

Feb 25, 2020
    Portland
    I picked up a Bullet Mustang when they were on sale for $129, specifically as a mod platform. I have a thing for single humbucker guitars, so that's what I've made.

I've since replaced basically everything. I switched the tuners to hipshot. I had to drill the body for a the string through hipshot bridge. I got a custom pickguard from eBay and replaced the pickup with a Burstbucker 3. I sanded and refinished the neck with tung oil. It plays really well now and sounds great.
    IMG_3055.jpg IMG_3056.jpg IMG_3054.jpg IMG_3053.jpg

7. explodeder

explodeder Squier Talker

Feb 25, 2020
    Portland
    Here it is next to my 1978 Fender Bronco...Like I said, I have a thing for single humbucker guitars.

The Bronco plays better, but not by that much. It's just much more broken in.
    IMG_3052 (1).jpg

8. benjammin420

Jul 19, 2010
    USA
    I’ve read through this whole thread, and I’m wondering what people’s thoughts are on the various methods of upgrading the bridge? (Without converting to a string-thru setup)

-Are there replacement saddles that the strings won’t rest on the bottom of?
    -Does the the GFS Squier 51 bridge offer an improvement in tone?
    -Does the increased string spacing on the Wilkinson Tele bridge cause any issues with the string spacing over the neck?

9. explodeder

explodeder Squier Talker

Feb 25, 2020
    Portland
    I was dealing with the same issue when planning out mine. I ended up talking to a local guitar repair shop, and asked how much it'd be to drill the body for a string-through bridge. They charged $75 and $11 for the ferrules. I was going to attempt it myself, but I didn't have a drill press. Since I plan on keeping this guitar forever, it was worth it. I thought that was totally reasonable.

benjammin420 likes this.
  10. benjammin420

Jul 19, 2010
    USA
    Looks like they did a good job I like top-load style, I just didn’t consider all the little details of the upgrades I planned to do when I bought it, now I feel a little overwhelmed. Considering the guitar is brand new, I don’t want to get into any permanent mods just yet (ie, the Bubba Mod) in case I decide to take it back.

11. MarkRoick

MarkRoick Squier Talker

Dec 30, 2018
    Norfolk, England
    Hey @benjammin420 check out my replies in this thread, you might find that a new set of saddles and a strip of Velcro will be enough for you - it worked for me!

benjammin420 likes this.
  12. benjammin420

Jul 19, 2010
    USA
    Thanks for the heads-up. Fortunately I don’t issues with the saddles moving or the intonation screws being too long (they’re actually different lengths on different saddles, and none of them touch the strings)

But the whole thing sound a bit “plinks”, particularly the low E it seems. I’ll probably just do the bubba mod. The more I play this thing the more I like it, so I doubt I’ll be returning it.

I ordered some staggered locking tuners and a tortoise shell pickguard. I also swapped the pickup magnets for an A8 in the bridge and whatever came off the bridge pup of my Hagstrom Swede. Definitely an improvement, particularly on the bridge pickup, though I’m planning to get some new cream or white pickups to complete the look and sound I’m going for

MarkRoick likes this.
  13. NewGortonian

NewGortonian New Member

Mar 11, 2020
    United Kingdon
    Hi All,

Just thought I'd share mine. I don't have the skills of a lot of the people on here so my mods are a bit more limited, but still may be of interest. I had mine professionally set up, which if you don't know how to do yourself (I don't) is probably the main place to start.

The guy who set it up said the D string nut slot was too low and causing buzzing when open, so he fitted a Tusq nut. I had some Epiphone Alnico Classics gathering dust, so I installed these myself (setup guy had to redo my shoddy soldering!) They're not particularly popular pickups, but I figured as they are wax potted and have alnico magnets they would constitute an upgrade of sorts.

From what I could tell when removing the stock pickups, I think they may actually be wax potted anyway (please correct me if not), but they're not alnicos. Plus, it's fun to tinker otherwise we wouldn't be on here! I fancied trying Gibson-esque pickups in a Fender-esque guitar (if the esques don't render this a pointless exercise!) and they do sound good to me. Nice warm cleans and hot leads.

I have the standard imperial blue mustang and you're a bit limited with pickguards that can go with this colour, but I do think that the blue pearl looks great so bought this on ebay. You could probably also try a white pearloid. If I had a black mustang I'd probably get a nice tortoiseshell one.

I'd maybe change the tuners and bridge (or at least the saddles) at some point, but they do the job for now. I'd say, if the stock pickups are wax potted, that I'd have been happy to gig with it without mods once set up. I play in an indie/punk covers band and it'd be fine for that.

Anyway, happy modding, hope you're all keeping safe and well in these times. IMG-4146.JPG IMG-4147.JPG

14. JSutter

JSutter Squier Talker

May 22, 2019
    Maine
    I bought a surf green one. I'm really not impressed with it. I guess all the rave reviews got me expecting far more. I have cheaper guitars that have better fit and finish. The fret ends are well dressed, the nut and the bridge work fine so that's a huge plus. It setup easy enough and plays good.

The frets needed a polish (playing it nearly fixed that) and toggle switch got rotated. I put Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz pickups, 500k pots, 11-50 strings, and strap locks on it.

I have more plans, but that's it for now.

15. McAslan

McAslan New Member

Apr 1, 2020
    Germany
    Hello,
    I am new here and would like to now if a String Through Mod will improve the sound and the sustain.
    I would drill holes through the original bridge and use Graph Tech string saver , a graph tech sattle and additional locking tuners.
    That will be my job for the quaranine.

16. altern

altern Squier Talker

Feb 9, 2017
    Buffalo
    Is there a definitive best set of saddles you can buy and drop in? I've heard the genuine fender ones can come loose do to string pressure (or lack thereof) but the pot steel is really not doing this thing any favors. Also looking for a worthwhile set of pearl tuners that are simple to install. I can hardly play much less luthier this thing

17. scrub

scrub Squier-Meister

Jan 9, 2018
    Everett, WA
    85CC4F35-FD56-4DA3-A86B-467F88C24951.jpeg
    I got bored and redid my Mustang.

I had the loaded PG laying around but I switched the black covers for cream. Took off the Tele half bridge and Bubba modded the original bridge. Kiwi tinted the neck, added roller string trees and here we are.

18. Orien

Orien New Member

Feb 7, 2020
    London
    I picked up a brand new grey bullet mustang in January. I'd read how good they are but was really surprised with what a great little guitar it was for a hundred quid. I took it apart straight away and painted it shoreline gold originally but didn't like it so went over it first in aged white nitro and then a light coat of seafoam green so it's almost two tone. I upgraded the saddles to nice chunky PRS ones, got a mint green pickguard and put in some zebra Wilkinson humbuckers, which sound great especially with new pots.

I then took the thin finish off the neck and refinished in a light coat of tobacco brown nitro. Oh and upgraded the tuners to Gotoh lockers. I had the paint, the saddles and the tuners already so all in all this cost about £150 in total and has become one of my favourite guitars. I pick it up more than my fenders. I had a fender decal in a drawer so decided to put that on as it looked odd without a logo on the headstock. All in all very happy with this one :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. benjammin420

Jul 19, 2010
    USA
    [​IMG]

Just applied 2 coats of ebony stain to the fretboard for a darker look. Also added the tortoise shell pick guard and staggered locking tuners from GFS. I swapped out the pickup magnets for an A8 in the bridge and A5 in the neck, made for a nice improvement though I’m still planning to get some white or cream pickups in the future, not sure which ones I want though

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice