Bullet Mustang - show and explain your mods

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by xtomx2000, Apr 23, 2017.

1. smallerthings

smallerthings Squier Talker

Jun 7, 2019
    USA
    I've posted it before, but this is my formerly white mustang. Repainted, new pickups, only volume knob, moved the switch, and put in a metal plug for the hole.

If you ever want the relic/road worn look just do a poor job of spray painting like I did and it'll happen in no time.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Herzal, Mr Bob, Viking and 1 other person like this.
  2. Lindsey Graham

Lindsey Graham Squier Talker

Feb 13, 2017
    Ohio
    I've been looking to shoddily spray paint a guitar that will "relic" easily. What was your process? I'd like it to be pretty smooth like yours, but not super hard factory finish.

3. smallerthings

Jun 7, 2019
    USA
    I sanded back the original finish, but not to the wood. Just enough to get through the clear coat and give it something to stick to.

I did a few coats to give it a good solid coverage. I put about 2-3 cans of clear on it, which sounds like a lot but it doesn't go on very thick. Then I wet sanded the hell out of it, polished it, and here we are.

I used Rust-O-Lium paint and clear gloss. I used florescent pink and was hoping for a very hot neon pink color. It darkened to this red instead.

4. paulnb57

paulnb57 Squier-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Isle of Wight UK
    [​IMG]
    I think this one is finally finished!

wayne thomas and drewcp like this.
  5. scrub

scrub Squier-Meister

Jan 9, 2018
    Everett, WA
    I want to do this with a black one, I don't use the bridge pickup on my Mustang anyway.

6. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    Looks great! I want it. Where did you get the single pickup pickguard?

7. paulnb57

paulnb57 Squier-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Isle of Wight UK
  8. MarkRoick

MarkRoick Squier Talker

Dec 30, 2018
    Norfolk, England
    A second addition to my 'Stang gang! (You can see my Surf Green one on the stand behind this, and a few pages back in this thread)

Picked this up in person from an eBay seller about twenty miles away. I was the only bidder and got it for £93.

The guitar came completely stock, I replaced the pickguard with this custom one from good ol' earlpilanz, eBayed the tuners, conversion bushings, replacement roller bridge saddles and white pickup covers. The pickups themselves are a set of no-name ones from Wish, multimeter read the neck at 5.75k and the bridge at 6.25. (The spare pup from the set of 3 also read 5.75). They sound decent enough for now, just gotta intonate it properly and I'm away!

IMG_20200126_174537812~2.jpg IMG_20200126_174516123~2.jpg

benjammin420, drewcp, santos and 4 others like this.
  9. paulnb57

paulnb57 Squier-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Isle of Wight UK
    Very nice Mark

MarkRoick likes this.
  10. GhostpipeOrgan

GhostpipeOrgan Squier Talker

Jan 31, 2020
    RI, USA
    Upgraded the pick ups to GFS Mean 90s , changed out volume and tone knobs for abalone topped ones (also have pearl to go with my white pearloid style pickgaurd) ,pickgaurd was custom order with the humbucker holes cut to fit covered humbuckers from Precision Guitars in AZ . Looking to get a different neck with white trapezoid inlays or get fret stickers and paint the headstock so it’s matching the body.

Attached Files:

11. Chinaski

Chinaski Squier Talker

Dec 18, 2019
    SE, USA
    I added some Fender stamped saddles from a MIT Strat Tremolo/Bridge with 2 1/6" spacing. I have some reservations due to the bridge setup.

With the saddles adjusted and bridge string-loading design it looks like the saddles are pulling the intonation screws at an angle under string tension. Does this look like an issue or should I just rock on?

[​IMG]

12. paulnb57

paulnb57 Squier-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Isle of Wight UK
    Rock on! I don’t see it causing an issue...

13. Raabje

Raabje Squier Talker

Oct 1, 2019
    Amsterdam
    Did you change the pot from 250K to 500K, or leave it stock? I have installed Tonerider Alnico 4 with CTS 500K pots for volume and tone, and a new capacitor (don't know the value anymore) the guitar is now bright sounding with pots full open. I am wondering if I should go back t0 250K pots.

14. wayne thomas

wayne thomas Squier Talker

Jan 24, 2020
    london
    did you drill the bridge to take tele saddles? very nice mod, that's what i want to do

15. smallerthings

Jun 7, 2019
    USA
    New pickups with a 500K volume pot.

16. Chinaski

Chinaski Squier Talker

Dec 18, 2019
    SE, USA
    Neat. I ordered a spare set of the recommended brass block saddles in this thread, but I doubt the extra pressure on the intonation screws will affect anything.

17. santos

santos Squier Talker

Jan 29, 2017
    near the beach...
    My Squier Bullet Mustang was already modded when I bought it.

It was Olympic White with a tort pickguard and a single hotrails pickup angled 'backward' and the previous owner had replaced the decal with a Fender one and shot nitro lacquer over it and the rest of the neck. They had also replaced the tuners with vintage style ones (I might replace these with white plastic buttoned ones in the future).

I had a Sonic Grey body already and an original 1960's Fender Musicmaster bridge so just I swapped the bodies over and changed the bridge and... here's my modded Squier Bullet Mustang :)

The lighting in pics makes the body look more blue than grey, but in better daylight it's a blue-ish grey that reminds me of the vintage 50's / 60's Volkswagen Beetles and buses.

I might upgrade to two pickups if I can find the right pickups but for now it's such a fun guitar to play!

0-1 7.jpeg

0 6.jpeg

0-2 4.jpeg

MarkRoick and smallerthings like this.
  18. santos

santos Squier Talker

Jan 29, 2017
    near the beach...
    I finally finished modding my Squier Bullet Mustang and it's turned out pretty much how I wanted.

The mods I did were fairly inexpensive:
    0 4.jpeg

Swap the bridge for a late 1960's Fender Musicmaster bridge.
    Change the pickup configuration to H/S with an upgraded Fender Jazzmaster 3-way switch.
    New custom 3-ply white pickguard.

When I bought it (used) the neck had already been refinished and the tuners upgraded to Kluson style.
    I would have preferred it to have a VM Squier Mustang neck but this is fine for now.

I had it set up, frets dressed, nut re-cut, etc, and it's a keeper. Got flatwound 10-48 strings on and it plays and sounds great. Super lightweight and a breeze to play. These can be excellent little guitars with a bit of tinkering :)

0-1 5.jpeg
    0-2 3.jpeg

19. Catalyst

Catalyst Squier Talker

Dec 27, 2018
    Blagoevgrad
    I really like what you did, I'd only put aged pearloid guard imo.

20. santos

santos Squier Talker

Jan 29, 2017
    near the beach...
    I almost went with a pearloid guard, might still do it in the future!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice