Bullet Mustang - show and explain your mods

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by xtomx2000, Apr 23, 2017.

1. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-holic

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    which screws did you use for the saddles? does anything on your bridge touch your strings that shouldn't?

unclejohn likes this.
  2. mrriggs

mrriggs Squier-Meister

Apr 27, 2018
    Vancouver, WA
    The saddles do look too low. How's the action at the neck?

If the action is good then you could use a shim.

Bridge pickup looks too high too. If the setup is otherwise good, lowering the pickup may improve what you are hearing.

unclejohn likes this.
  3. Wabin22

Wabin22 Squier Talker

Jun 25, 2018
    Sweden
    I've been watching this thread for a while and now I felt that I really needed to sign up here so.. my first post everybody :)
    You guys have shared such cool ideas and mods, it's really incredible and fun to watch so I thought I'd share mine too :)

First of all, I do not have a Bullet Mustang but rather a Vintage Modified one, I hope that's still okay?
    Not very impressive mods as compared to what others have done here but what I've done so far is:
    * Change pickguard to a vintage cream one
    * Changed tremolo to an actual reliced Fender trem
    * Put in a new Stay Trem bridge (which works REALLY awesome)
    * Gave the neck a new vintage tint (I'm uploading a picture to compare to my Jazzmaster, it use to look the same before the tinting) DSC_7547.jpg
    DSC_7538.jpg

I do have plans on swapping out the pups because I'm not too happy with them, but I can't really decide on what to use.
    I'm thinking of putting the Seymour Duncan Surf Single Coils for the Strat, just because I want that nice twang.
    I think they could work really nice for some Indie Punk together with my Carcosa pedal :)
    I'm open to suggestions if anyone have other ideas :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    SquierTap, Wizzer, jagmaster and 4 others like this.
  4. unclejohn

unclejohn Squier Talker

Mar 30, 2010
    Augusta GA
    The screws aren’t touching the strings now. The original ones did and I cut them shorter. When that didn’t fix the problem I got these new saddles. Still sounds awful when I strum a chord.

5. unclejohn

unclejohn Squier Talker

Mar 30, 2010
    Augusta GA
    The action is pretty good, I set it just high enough that it doesn’t buzz. I have tried lowering the pickups too, but unfortunately that’s not the problem either. I’ve never done a shim before but I guess it’s time to learn. Thanks so much for the advice!

6. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    It is strange how the angle of your graphtec saddles are pitched / slanted forward so much. I have Graphtecs on a stock Bullet Mustang bridge and they are nearly parallel to the string path. The action is fine and I'm also not using a shim on the neck.

GT Comparison.jpg

unclejohn likes this.
  7. unclejohn

unclejohn Squier Talker

Mar 30, 2010
    Augusta GA
    I can see from the pic of your bridge that I was right thinking my saddles shouldn’t lean so far forward. But hey, I bought this guitar to modify so it’s just as well that I learn to shim a neck with it. I will post the results as soon as I get it done. And thanks again for you guys help.

Pat V. likes this.
  8. unclejohn

unclejohn Squier Talker

Mar 30, 2010
    Augusta GA
    I put a shim in the neck and I think I’ve got it set about right now. Then it turns out TheKurdtz was right, the screws were touching the strings. The original screws I had already cut short wouldn’t thread into the graphtec saddles, so I just used different ones. Now finally it’s sounding right. Next step is to replace the nut with a graphtec, never done that before either but the original isn’t very good and I’ve gotta learn sometime. C97D5897-2115-4FA2-8731-7AAA6BC3867B.jpeg

mb doug, jjudas, Pat V. and 1 other person like this.
  9. xtomx2000

xtomx2000 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany
    So ... I finally had the new pickguard in the mail yesterday. Ordered it from ebay seller precisiongtr. Since I am in Germany, it took a few weeks to arrive.

I decided for a reverse polarity SD quarter pounder in the neck and an SH-4 in the bridge position.

This combination sounds amazing!!! IMG_3130.JPG IMG_3131.JPG IMG_3132.JPG

10. xtomx2000

xtomx2000 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany
    Interesting thing here is that the poles on the quarter pounder if installed on a strat would not fit the string spacing neither with modern nor with vintage bridges. But tilted like on the Mustang now they are perfectly centered.

11. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    This is looking great but the string paths across the saddles appear to need a little nudging to even up the string spacing at the bridge.
    Especially on the A, G & B.

4DAD8DC9-4B49-4206-92A3-A1360C0AA73F.png

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    mb doug likes this.
  12. Wabin22

Wabin22 Squier Talker

Jun 25, 2018
    Sweden
    Really cool mods there! It's just a shame that the Imperial Blue looks a bit weird in Youtubevideos and such, because up front IRL it looks really nice.
    I'm not really sure which pickups I wanna go with on my VM Mustang but i'm thinking of putting in the SD Surf single coils.
    I was thinking of certain humbuckers because I wanna go for that nice twangy but also dirty Indie Rock/Punk sound, but I'm not sure if humbuckers is the way to go?

13. Sjtanona

Sjtanona Squier Talker

Mar 29, 2018
    Michigan USA
    So far, about half way through the mods, got my Fender stamped steel saddles, Jagstang pickguard, 16k humbucker, and old Fender neck pup. Waiting on conversion bushings for the vintage tuners, but couldn't wait to hear it! IMG_20180630_172032.jpg IMG_20180630_172042.jpg

14. xtomx2000

xtomx2000 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany
    Good catch. Will check it tomorrow!

mb doug likes this.
  15. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    do we have a comprehensive list of places that carry the best mod parts for what has been done in this thread?

example: where to go to get racing stripes?
    where to go to get XXX, YYY, or ZZZ?
    etc.

16. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-holic

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    i think you can find that one yourself

for a lot of other things i use AliExpress

horax likes this.
  17. Wabin22

Wabin22 Squier Talker

Jun 25, 2018
    Sweden
    Ebay is good too.
    earlpilanz on Ebay is a great dealer when it comes to pickguards and necks.

18. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    so....have 200.00 to spend MAX.

Thoughts:
    1) I can get a blue brand new ROSEWOOD mustang shipped for 135
    2) NEW affinity strat for 175 shipped
    3) used VM 70's strat shipped for 200 even

If I got a mustang I'd have to change the saddles, pickups, pickguard, tuners. (I have pickups but might want others).
    What route do I take? Also, could I get everything for under 200 if I went the Mustang route?

19. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    also wonder about having 1 volume pot, one blend pot, and turn the regular switch into an out of phase or mid boost instaed???

20. Wabin22

Wabin22 Squier Talker

Jun 25, 2018
    Sweden
    If I were you, I would get the VM Strat for sure.
    But if you are more into the Mustang then go for it. I don't have the Bullet Mustang but I've heard great things about it, so go into it with an open mind about things you may wanna change.