Bullet Mustang - show and explain your mods

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by xtomx2000, Apr 23, 2017.

1. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    18AC8043-4972-415E-B7E1-571D19FAA036.jpeg Here’s my modded bullet: tortoise pickguard, white squier OEM mustang/duo-sonic vintage style tuners. The difference was instantly notable, no longer goes out of tune halfway through a song!! Very happy with it, and all in all I’ve spent just under the $150 they sell for new. Maybe someday I’ll swap the pickups, but for now they do just fine.
    Yeah, I didn’t go through Warmoth for that same reason. My cap of acceptable shipping costs for a pickguard is about $5. I went through a seller on eBay from the UK, $35 for the guard + free shipping....but it wasn’t customizable.

karstlevania, so1om, rbh32 and 2 others like this.
  2. paulnb57

paulnb57 Squier-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Isle of Wight UK
    @Royal_We. who was the ebay seller please?

3. dtsreiuqs

dtsreiuqs Squier-Meister

Oct 18, 2015
    France
    If the Squier Bullet Mustang had existed in LH, I would certainly have bought one... But :(

Instead I set my sights on a Harley Benton "Mustang" MS60LH-VW bought 2nd hand mint barely used for 90 Euros - that I modded to transform it in... A model that I simply forgot the existence : the Fender and Squier "Cyclone" :oops: :

[​IMG]

The mods - quick description :
    - reworking the tremolo to make it work flawlessly.
    - changing the nut for a TUSQ XL PQL-5000-L0
    - installing a set of Squier Std Strat AlNiCo pickups (additional wood routings)
    - added a Jaguar pickup switch plate (one switch per PU - additional wood and pickguard routings)
    - modified the 2 existing "Mustang" switches to N + B phase reverse and N + B //-serial operation.

Awaiting :
    - changing the (poor quality) tuners for a set of Kluson MK6RN 18:1 tuners.
    - Adding a custom "Cyclone" decal name.

A+!

so1om and RoyalWe like this.
  4. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    paulnb57 likes this.
  5. xtomx2000

xtomx2000 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany
    Just ordered this: IMG_0036.JPG

mkgearhead and Pat V. like this.
  6. xtomx2000

xtomx2000 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany
  7. xtomx2000

xtomx2000 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany
    and now ... starting to look for pickups. Bridge will be an sh4 for sure, but not decided on the bridge pu yet...

8. Lugoonie

Lugoonie Squier Talker

Jun 3, 2018
    North carolina
    got rid of the stock hardtail for the vintage mustang tailpiece/bridge ..it took some imagination and research i used the vintage modified tailpiece i got used from a guy who had removed his for 25$ so y not do it since both guitars are 24” scale and 9.5 radius .. i hadnt seen anyone do this to the new bullet mustangs yet.. the way I installed it is with the locked trem and flipped cigar bar like kurt cobains so i didnt have to cut the grooves for the springs, i jus used the tailpiece as a template, centered it with the neck and drilled the holes for the bridge and cigar bar.. i modded the tailpiece a bit by grinding off the spring attachments so it would sit flush i also had to trim the pick-guard and the string bar post so i wudnt have to drill as far into the guitar being as it is thinner thsn the vm mustang , im posting this cause ive seen people online ask about doin this mod with no luck so i posted pictures incase they see this , it looks and plays great it really gives it that mustang feel and sound but like I said my method only works with the tremolo permanently locked, if u want the trem bar functionality ull have to cut the grooves for the springs.. some people might ask y i went through all the trouble to do this when the trem doesn’t work and my answer is i hated the cheap look of the hard tail and i wanted the real mustang look and feel plain and simple i didnt care about the trem bar cause i knew i was going to lock it.. i hope this helps anyone looking to mod their bullet mustang in the kurt cobain locked trem style

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    karstlevania, rbh32 and Pat V. like this.
  9. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    I’m coming up on 10 years at my company and I will receive a bonus. Not much, but enough to get something new.

I want one of these. I want to put in wide range buckers with a blend pot.

Hmmmmm...

VealCutlet, so1om and Pat V. like this.
  10. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I look forward to seeing it. There are a lot of modded Bullet Mustangs out there, especially considering it's only been available for the past 16 months, but I haven't seen a pair of WRHBs in one yet.

so1om and horax like this.
  11. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    I think I’m finally done with this one. I cleared over the headstock logo, fixed the misaligned string through holes and added a set of Planet Waves locking tuners I had in the drawer.

E99E53BF-F24B-4291-AAFF-52764250C5B8.jpeg AE128C3E-C102-4E7B-848A-CD8915C87A66.jpeg 7B3CF637-4C50-428B-8447-438E4A0775B0.jpeg BCAD5B61-2916-45ED-B1E9-C530A0A4E2FC.jpeg

12. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    Looks awesome MK.

mkgearhead likes this.
  13. caspinks98

caspinks98 New Member

Jun 10, 2018
    England
    Thought I'd create an account to show my mods as this thread helped with some decisions for my Mustang.

Installed a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat P90 in the bridge, this thing is killer. Left neck Humbucker stock as barely use the neck pup for the music I play plus it's pretty good already. Got a dark red tortoise shell pickguard from eBay. Lastly, stamped Fender bridge saddles and Gotoh white pearloid button tuners.
    IMG_20180610_122113.jpg IMG_20180610_122118.jpg IMG_20180610_122125.jpg

karstlevania, so1om, Viking and 5 others like this.
  14. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    Nice Caspinks. Not sure what kind of music you play but it later looks more like the 90s Alt Scene Mustangs.

caspinks98 and so1om like this.
  15. scarronm

scarronm Squier Talker

Jun 10, 2018
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    I refinished all of the frets:

[​IMG]

sanded the neck with various sandpaper grits until smooth as silk:
    [​IMG]

Finished the neck with with linseed oil and beeswax to a mirror shine. It still is super extra smooth and slippery after it cured:

[​IMG]

filled the holes for the tuner screws. I installed grover tuners instead, I messed up and used a different color of wood for my fill, but it is not very noticeable with the runners installed
    [​IMG]

Installed new tuners, new string trees because why not, crucially I cut a new nut from bone myself (I think it is better cut than the original), and did the unthinkable of removing the squier logo and adding a fender logo. I know I should not have done that but there you go:
    [​IMG]

After covering all the electronics cavities with conductive tape for reducing the noise (which comes handy in P-90 only mode), I pretty much re-did the whole electronics. Now with P-Rails as pickups, new higher quality pickup selector switch, 2 push-pull 500K pots to give me lots of possibilities with the P-Rails (humbucker in series, P-90 only, rails only, humbucker in parallel), orange drop capacitor, new jack:

[​IMG]

I also had to modify the bridge, a few saddle screws needed to be cut to allow for precise intonation.

Here is the final product with a new perloid minty-green/cream pickguard:
    [​IMG]

I did a full setup on it and now I really like it. It is a very versatile guitar. In the image below one of the push pull pots is up (that is for rails only mode)

Here it is next to my american channel bound strat, they are sisters now:

[​IMG]

The only thing I am on the fence about is the bridge. I think I am going to change it and I can't decide between a hardtail string-through bridge for more sustain or to route the cavities for a proper mustang tremolo bridge so that I can do my shoe gaze dream-pop routine on this mustang

16. scrub

scrub Squier Talker

Jan 9, 2018
    Everett, WA
    1AEEA17D-4D9C-4D97-A739-AA18C261D037.jpeg I took a little time and finally hooked up the loaded pick guard I bought a while back. I need to work on the intonation etc. but pretty excited. The neck pup is a guitar fetish and the bridge is a Fender, 500k pots. I was able to pull the old stuff complete and put it aside. GFS locking tuners, string saver saddles and a set of less noodly strings make it feel pretty good.

Attached Files:

17. scarronm

scarronm Squier Talker

Jun 10, 2018
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    How are the new saddles compared to the previous. Do you think they improved the tone? I am thinking of doing something to the bridge, but still undecided.

18. scrub

scrub Squier Talker

Jan 9, 2018
    Everett, WA
    I'm not a very good player so I'm not sure I can give a very good review of anything! I think they are an improvement though.

scarronm likes this.
  19. unclejohn

unclejohn Squier Talker

Mar 30, 2010
    Augusta GA
    I put new graph tech saddles on hoping it would solve the problem with the strings lifting from the bottom. I put on new strings, tuned and set intonation, but when I strum a chord, ick. Now I’m wondering if I need to put a shim in the neck? Any advice? 249ADF24-90B1-4CF1-AF96-9F0CBB043CE2.jpeg