Bullet Mustang - show and explain your mods

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by xtomx2000, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    image.jpeg
    I bought the guitar in pieces for 100.00 bucks from a friend.He blew out the side trying to drill for an input jack.Some bondo and Home Depot color match sample paint, and she's good to go.

mb doug, Pat V. and Mbell75 like this.
  2. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Here’s what I did recently to my Imperial Blue Bullet Mustang. I replaced the bridge with a Fender Toronado piece and I replaced the pick-guard. Finally, to quench my curiosity, I tried an idea that I’ve had using a block of Panzerholz on the back side of the guitar, behind the bridge. I used this material in another project and had some scraps to play with. It's an interesting material that has an extremely high density that is often used to absorb and dampen acoustical energy but I wondered if it could possibly be used to increase tuning stability and I also wondered how it would effect the sound and sustain when bonded to a wood guitar body.

E01 - Bullet Mustang New Bridge with Panzerholz Base.jpg E02 - Bullet Mustang New Bridge with Panzerholz Base.jpg E03 - Bullet Mustang New Bridge with Panzerholz Base.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    mb doug and Luvs2yoko like this.
  3. paulnb57

paulnb57 Squier-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Isle of Wight UK
    So, @Pat V did it affect the sound?

Pat V. likes this.
  4. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    It did, but I've had no real time with it yet. I will set it up this weekend and compare it to my others and post my impressions.

5. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    To those of you who have changed out the saddles or bridge, what did you use? The bridge on my mustang buzzes/rattles so bad, I really want to change them. I just ordered a tortoise guard, and I don’t really want to have to alter it. Do the GFS hardtail bridges do alright?

6. Mbell75

Mbell75 Squier Talker

May 6, 2018
    California
    So will an SD Invader drop right into the bridge of these?

7. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    It should. Is it exceptionally wide/long? It’ll take any normal humbucker sized pickup.

Mbell75 likes this.
  8. paulnb57

paulnb57 Squier-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Isle of Wight UK
    Appears to be a normal size uncovered pickup......look on the Duncan website...

9. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    update: What it did for the tuning stability is staggering and I like what it it does for the sound enough to be planning to do a more controlled test using two otherwise identical guitars. Using this Toronado bridge worked out exceptionally well because the two rear screws are threaded into the panzerholz.

10. paulnb57

paulnb57 Squier-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Isle of Wight UK
    Excellent! I love the mods people have done to these guitars!

11. unclejohn

unclejohn Squier Talker

Mar 30, 2010
    Augusta GA
    I bought this new today. After getting home I noticed this little chip in the fretboard. It doesn’t affect playing, but I still wonder if I should take it back and exchange it for another one. 68DF4C38-CCE9-4340-B0E3-485905B9B712.jpeg 82448ADE-29B7-4902-96F1-B01F7C23E5A4.jpeg

12. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I have a few of these now and the fretboards are pretty much flawless. If they have another one at the store you bought it from, I'd go check it out.
    I don't expect perfection in these budget guitars but that looks like it was abused. Did you buy it in a sealed box?

13. rbh32

rbh32 Squier Talker

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    71899C56-E1BB-40B9-ADB6-CB29626C1FBE.jpeg I just got done with the pickup mods to mine. I have been intrigued with the idea of a p90/humbucker guitar and planned for the swap as soon as I picked this guitar up. Both are Guitarmadness pickups, the neck being a p94, and the bridge a ‘57 humbucker. I swapped out the volume pot with a full sized 500k pot, and left the tone at 250k. I still have Fender saddles to put on, but that’s it for now. I’m pretty happy with the pickups and it was fun to mod. I had an idea to replace the tone pot with another 3 way switch and do a series/split/parallel with the humbucker, but we’ll see. I really like what I’m hearing the way it is now.

Pat V. likes this.
  14. unclejohn

unclejohn Squier Talker

Mar 30, 2010
    Augusta GA
    Yes it was still in the box. They took it out and I looked at it before buying it. I didn’t notice this little chip though. Looks like the wood chipped as the inlay was put in. They had a black one in stock too, so it shouldn’t be a problem to go in and exchange this one.

15. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    @Pat V. What white buttons did you use? I got a set of squier OEM, but the tuner peg holes are much wider on the bullet than what these are meant for. Did you have to dowl the holes and redrill, or is there a set of these out there that are the correct size?

16. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    On the black one, I didn’t have to change the hole size for a set of Klusons that I had the right bushings for.
    On the blue one, I think I used a set of Kaisch branded tuners from Amazon and I used the following method that has worked well for me a few times.
    I use 1/4" copper tape that has a really thin conductive adhesive but I chemically strip (with acetone) the adhesive from the copper except for about 5mm on each end. The first 5mm holds it in place for a very tight wrapping and the last 5mm of the adhesive secures it. I have used this method for new budget instruments that I'm still sorting out.

Blue Mustang tuner change 04.jpg Blue Mustang tuner change 02.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    mb doug and RoyalWe like this.
  17. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Brilliant! hadn’t thought to simply wrap the bushings.

18. paulnb57

paulnb57 Squier-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Isle of Wight UK
    I do the same with masking tape cut into 1/4" strips...

Pat V. and RoyalWe like this.
  19. xtomx2000

xtomx2000 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany
    You must be kidding ... warmoth sucks. IMG_0034.JPG

20. xtomx2000

xtomx2000 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany