Bullet Mustang - show and explain your mods

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by xtomx2000, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Very cool and great job with the string ferrules.

karstlevania likes this.
  2. rbh32

rbh32 Squier Talker

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    As it is out of the box. I’ve done a setup and put 10s on it now. Was planning on a mini neck, but that seems unlikely now. Still planning on putting some bent saddles and 11s on it and tune down either half or whole step. Not sure about any other mods right now, but something always pops in my head.

Attached Files:

mb doug likes this.
  3. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    So far All I've done is install a Fender vintage spaced string through bridge. I got in a hurry and forgot to check to make sure the table of the drill press was square to the bit. :oops: I found a fix for this on eBay. It already had the pearloid pickguard when I bought it. I've got some more mods coming up when the parts show up.

thumbnail_IMG_3134.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3135.jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg

mb doug, karstlevania, Pat V. and 2 others like this.
  4. Rick Sanchez C137

Rick Sanchez C137 Squier Talker

Jan 13, 2018
    usa
    Finally got a new pickguard on it! From an ebay seller out of arizona...it is awesome looking and fit perfectly...All holes lined up.

Attached Files:

5. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

Loving your user name! :cool:

Rick Sanchez C137 likes this.
  6. danzigdan

danzigdan Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2014
    NYS
    Sort-of. I have a spare VM Mustang neck. I did a swap and had to come in from above---it wouldn't slide in. The screw holes line up perfectly though.
    I measured both necks at the heel before I made the swap and they are fairly similar.

Answer me this though. I had to crank the saddles much higher to try and get the guitar playable action-wise, and I'm not out of the woods yet.
    Going to let it sit for a bit with the new neck on.

7. doctorbray

doctorbray New Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Long Beach, CA (USA)
    Hey all, just checking back in after finishing up with a pickup swap on my Bullet Mustang.

image1 (1).jpeg

Ordered a pair of GFS Mean 90's with the chrome covers expecting them to drop into the existing humbucker cut-outs, but the pickguard required a bit of filing before they would fit. Keep this in mind if you go the same route. I was stuck with a 10 inch bastard file and it left notably large gaps around the corners, but they're at least mostly symmetrical and I kind of dig it. These are my first P90-style pickups and sound great in the guitar, much more clarity and not as hot as the stock humbuckers.

Aside from the pickups, previously installed on the guitar were a set of steel saddles from Guitar Fetish, a TUSQ pre-slotted nut and a strap from Couch Guitar Straps. Really happy with where it's at now, though trying out some 500K pots with the new pickups does sound interesting.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  8. Spino

Spino Squier-Meister

Apr 19, 2016
    Germany
    This will be my next mod:

A pair of Squier Jaguar pickups in my Bullet Mustang.

$_57 Kopie.jpg

9. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    image.jpeg image.jpeg Almost done repairing mine. Can't wait to play it. Still not sure of pickup layout.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    mb doug and mkgearhead like this.
  10. SamJ

SamJ Squier Talker

Apr 17, 2018
    New York

11. Spino

Spino Squier-Meister

Apr 19, 2016
    Germany
    NEW MOD:
    I put pair of Squier Jaguar pickups in my Bullet Mustang.
    Before i had a pair of Strat pickups mounted.

At first i was sceptical to change the pickups because i
    read that Jaguar pickups sound the same as Strat pickups.

They are total different.
    Before it sounded more like a strat now my Mustangs sounds very similar to my Squier Jaguar.

A bit softer because of the different pickup position and the 500 kOhm pots.
    I love the sound.

Mustang_Classic_Jag.jpg

mb doug, dammit and jagmaster like this.
  12. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    image.jpeg image.jpeg Done. Repair looks good from 10 feet away. Pearly gates in the bridge, fender fat 50's in the neck. Fender vintage tuners and graph tech saddles.I like it. Keeping my eye out for a black one.

13. jagmaster

jagmaster Squier-Meister

Jan 4, 2018
    New Zealand
    I've got some Jag pickups kicking around, might have to give this a go!

Spino likes this.
  14. dammit

dammit Squier Talker

Apr 19, 2018
    UK
    Hey guys, just adding to the pile of Mustangs here! Recently got back into guitar after a while out and picked up this glorious beast a few weeks ago. I've had mostly higher end Squiers and MIM Fenders and can honestly say this one is the most fun I've had on guitar! I wanted to explore mods and stuff too (on a budget) so it's great for that too.

So far I've changed the bridge to one from Axetech, which was actually a big change. Feels much more stable and was a direct replacement.

The frets are still a bit scratchy after some wire wool work, but they seem to improve with playing somehow so I'll see how it goes.

Lastly I've swapped the pickguard out for a black one from the eBay seller mentioned a few times here. Holes all lined up well, but I think I might have knocked something as the neck pickup selector sometimes doesn't register for a few tries. Looks like I might learn to solder soon!

No plans to change the pickups and it's really a great guitar. I love it. I think the nut might need some work (the low E string is very tight in there) but I don't fully trust myself with that yet.

[​IMG]

mb doug, DADGAD, mkgearhead and 2 others like this.
  15. Spino

Spino Squier-Meister

Apr 19, 2016
    Germany
    You will like it.

Greets

jagmaster likes this.
  16. iggy

iggy New Member

Apr 19, 2018
    slovakia
    DSC_1430.jpg DSC_1431.jpg DSC_1432.jpg DSC_1433.jpg ...
    ... my mods squier mustang hh :)

17. Demodocus

Demodocus New Member

Apr 5, 2018
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi all,

I'm new here, but was inspired by this thread to mod my bullet mustang. Here's a list of my admittedly simple mods.

From Guitar Heads: New bridge/saddles, Jin-ho locking tuners

GraphTech Black Tusq 5042 nut
    GraphTech string trees
    Faux abalone pickguard from eBay (Precision Guitars in AZ)
    All parts cream fender style knobs

Waiting for supplies to clean the frets before stringing up with D'addario EXL140 10-52 hybrids (hence why it's missing a string in the picture, the factory one broke on me.) Can't wait to play it! Still not sure if I'm gonna swap the pickups or not...if I do, probably to something from Guitar Heads or Drafonfire Guitars.

Attached Files:

mb doug, Pat V., jagmaster and 2 others like this.
  18. chpdougal

chpdougal Squier Talker

Apr 19, 2018
    Brandon, FL
    I am new to the site. Found this on google researching the Squier Bullet Mustang.

I bought an Olympic white one but waiting on it to be in stock and ship.

So far I have bought the following items, should make a really nice guitar when I am done probably as good as any Mustang out there

$10 - PT-5042-00 Graph Tech Nut 42mm (Can someone tell me if this will fit on there, it is 42mm but not sure if it is deep enough)
    $105 - 2 mint condition used Seymour Duncan Chrome Pickups - JB Bridge and 59er Neck
    $32 - Fender Strat / Telecaster American locking tuners new
    $10 - Fender Mustang gold / Orange headstock decal
    $10 - True Oil
    $10 - Deft Nitro lacquer
    $11 - Fender F Neck Plate
    $6 - Dunlop Strap locks Chrome
    $7 - Ernie Ball Slinky Regular Cobalt Strings
    $150 - Squier Bullet Mustang

Deciding on graph tech white bridge saddles, fender saddles or these ebay roller saddles that are like $12 bucks.

So far I am about $340 bucks in maybe spend another $40 on the saddles.

If anyone can give me some feedback on if that nut I bought will work or not. It is flat bottom 42 mm but not sure the depth is right it seems pretty damn thin, not sure why they wouldnt make it thicker and just let you file it down if its too thick.

mb doug and Pat V. like this.
  19. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Can’t help you with that particular nut but this sounds like a great build. I hope you post some photos as your project progresses.

20. bmorepunk

bmorepunk Squier Talker

Nov 23, 2017
    United States
    My input from another thread I posted on awhile ago:

In general I will note that I ordered an olympic white, 59 roundback neck from Warmoth (comes in June) for this guitar because while there's nothing wrong with the neck from a quality standpoint, I can't deal with the profile/thickness.

Yeah I know, I just spent $300 on a neck for a $100 guitar. If I really like the neck, I'll probably end up migrating it to a Fender Jaguar or Mustang body.