Bullet Mustang - show and explain your mods

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by xtomx2000, Apr 23, 2017.

1. danzigdan

danzigdan Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2014
    NYS
    I was going to punt on modding mine, but after I finish a few other projects I might feel re-energized. Before I get too far I may do a neck transplant first---I have a VM Mustang neck that I think I MIGHT like better than the standard issue neck.

2. Artofhunger

Artofhunger Squier Talker

Nov 24, 2017
    Philadelphia
    I finally finished my mod. Might do white knobs/switch. I have. Bone nut and down the road may convert to string thru

Attached Files:

3. SkeeterSkooter

SkeeterSkooter Squier-Meister

Jan 9, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    @Artofhunger That thing looks SOOOOO SICK!!! GD dude, that's so solid. Makes me want to grab one and get to work!

4. Artofhunger

Artofhunger Squier Talker

Nov 24, 2017
    Philadelphia
    You should get one and as my main threshold was to do it as cheaply as possible I should let people know the teenage employee at the Sherman williams store matched the body color in like ten minutes and gave me a $6 quart tester. Which is small for a home but more than enough for a headstock. The striping is actually mustang car striping and was $15 bucks!

mb doug likes this.
  5. karstlevania

karstlevania Squier Talker

Feb 18, 2018
    World
    I use a Electric saw with iron saw blade and than wood or iron file.

6. karstlevania

Feb 18, 2018
    World
    Nice work and beautiful colors

Artofhunger likes this.
  7. rbh32

rbh32 Squier Talker

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    I can’t wait to get started on mine. It’s the surf green one, and I’m torn between a brown tort pickguard or making one out or black carbon fiber.

8. scrub

scrub Squier Talker

Jan 9, 2018
    Everett, WA
    0AF393CD-AB23-4454-8A34-FD1BA5192704.jpeg
    I kept going back and forth about pickguard color then this loaded white guard popped up on ebay, now I just need some strings, time and the balls to get on with it.

mb doug, karstlevania, Viking and 2 others like this.
  9. coarse_cloth

coarse_cloth New Member

Apr 2, 2018
    Russia
    Greetings from Moscow,

Well, I must say that I am a novice in modifying guitars, and this is my first experience.

This is my Squier Bullet Mustang (2017)
    So, the first thing I did was order handmade pickguard from the master. Its production took 2 days. Yesterday I screwed it, not removing strings. I was surprised that it was quite easy for me to squeeze pickguard with pickups under the strings.

Next, I plan to darken the neck. But for this it is necessary to understand the process. Tru-Oil or Kiwi ... Which is better?

After that I would like to change some small parts and pickups, strings, and then I'll think when to stop.

JPEG image-5AD60AF861D1-1.jpeg JPEG image-5AD60AF861D1-2.jpeg JPEG image-5AD60AF861D1-3.jpeg

10. alfajock

alfajock Squier Talker

Jan 24, 2018
    UK
    I’ve done a build thread, but here’s my contribution for what seems to be becoming the definitive list!
    - Black pearloid pickguard - Ebay from earlpilanz - perfect fit, lovely quality, expensive!
    - Vanson alnico V humbucker sized P90s (or P94s technically!)
    - Locking tuners -Axetec MH606 - direct fit, decent quality
    - New bridge - Axetec BRTH11 - identical fit but far better quality and with properly intonatable saddles!
    - Tele metal control knobs
    - Fettled the nut and applied some Nut Sauce
    - Kiwi'd the neck -Dark Tan, turned out a bit red but better than the bone white!
    - Polished the frets and oiled the board
    - Shielded the cavities with copper tape
    - Restrung with 10s and proper set up
    B0F96B20-013A-4131-9EA3-9E7295640904.jpeg
    AE6A07C0-1835-4810-BB94-154E330052AE.jpeg
    Fun project and I’m very happy with the outcome - my growly wee black beastie!

Attached Files:

mb doug, Viking and Artofhunger like this.
  11. Spino

Spino Squier-Meister

Apr 19, 2016
    Germany
    The best mod i did yesterday was .012 gauge strings!

alfajock likes this.
  12. Spino

Spino Squier-Meister

Apr 19, 2016
    Germany
    Just another pic:
    Mustang_BDRI_kl.jpg

alfajock and jagmaster like this.
  13. Nathan1709

Nathan1709 Squier-Meister

Dec 30, 2017
    Reading
    Quick question for you chaps. I'm thinking of dropping some P90s in mine. Will I need to mod the pickguard? Also any recommendations for a nice set of P90s would be much appreciated.

14. alfajock

alfajock Squier Talker

Jan 24, 2018
    UK
    Yes you’ll have to mod. If you fit full sized P90s I suspect you’ll also have to rout the body to get them placed correctly under the strings. If you fit humbucker sized ones (P94 Clones) you’ll have to slightly enlarge the pickguard holes and square off the corners, which is quick and easy. I used Vanson ones which are cheap and sound great since you are in the UK, but there are plenty of alternatives in this format too. Well worth it!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  15. alfajock

alfajock Squier Talker

Jan 24, 2018
    UK
    50E0B1BE-E166-4746-8B4C-6DC8568FFC2D.jpeg Actually, I just dug out a photo of the route and I reckon you might well get away with full sized P90s after all, its wider than I remembered, I’d guess about 10mm either side of the bridge. Does anyone have the measurements of a full sized P90?

The issue then might be that a P90 is (i think) narrower than a humbucker so you’d need a new guard anyway. I bought mine from @earlpilanz on eBay and I’m sure his listing said he does custom pickup sizes. Be very interested to see if you do go down that route

Nathan1709 likes this.
  16. alfajock

alfajock Squier Talker

Jan 24, 2018
    UK
    To answer my own question -

[​IMG] Re: Adaptor Ring for P-90 in a Humbucker Route?
    a p90 will not fit in a typical humbucker rout

the p90 is longer but not as wide as a humbucker, at least comparing the bobbin size

a p90 is about 3.3" x 1.3" and basically rectangular, the bucker bobbin is 2.7" x 1.5", the ears on the bottom bracket are about 3.3" but only 0.5" wide. “

So possibly fits the rout but means new pickguard as the existing HB holes are too wide.

17. Nathan1709

Nathan1709 Squier-Meister

Dec 30, 2017
    Reading
    I was hoping I'd be okay as the Mustang has a swimming pool rout. Might revise my plans as I'm not comfortable routing the cavity or messing around too much.

18. xtomx2000

xtomx2000 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany
    The original pickup holes have rounded edges. These pickups however require straight edges. Take a ruler and draw a line alongside each edge of the pickup hole and the lines will meet. Take a triangular file to remove the indicated material.

astonefox likes this.
  19. rbh32

rbh32 Squier Talker

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    I saw that and almost went for it.

scrub likes this.
  20. karstlevania

Feb 18, 2018
    World
    Hi, finally done and sound is great.

IMG_1214.JPG

IMG_1206.JPG

IMG_1177.JPG

IMG_1212.JPG

mb doug, mkgearhead, Viking and 3 others like this.