Bullet Mustang - show and explain your mods

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by xtomx2000, Apr 23, 2017.

1. joeychickenskin

joeychickenskin Squier Talker

Feb 2, 2018
    Nottingham UK
    I'll give that a go. I have a can of switch cleaner. It hadn't occurred to me to clean the switch with it.

2. scrub

scrub Squier Talker

Jan 9, 2018
    Everett, WA
    I'm dealing with the intonation screw issue, I am thinking the easiest solution is the Graph Tech PS-8000-00 saddles or the cheaper option is the Wilkinson cut away tele bridge:

[​IMG]

For anyone using the bridge: this is the one listed on Guitar Fetish - is it the right one? Does it cover the old holes and clear the pick guard?

Of course I could just cut the screws on the saddle but they seem like a weak link anyway.

Next question is, who has a string recommendation? I do not have enough experience to have a favourite but i feel like I'd like something a little more 'beefy'.

3. paulnb57

paulnb57 Squier-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Isle of Wight UK
    I tried one of those exact Wilkinson half bridges on mine and it didn't quite cover the original holes as the bridge plate has radiused corners, the two holes are only just visible but I knew they were showing and it bugged me, so used a different method, I ended up using the Wilkinson saddles and redrilled the original base plate to take them, this worked very well.....known on here as the Bubba Mod......just drill a 3mm hole in between the current intonation screw holes...job done

My preference is 10 gauge strings......

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  4. scrub

scrub Squier Talker

Jan 9, 2018
    Everett, WA
    Thanks for the info, I feel like the holes being visible may break it for me, now I'm looking st toronado bridges with a bubba mod....

[​IMG]

5. memoluco

memoluco Squier Talker

Jan 25, 2018
    Mexico
    If ure gonna use the clasic tele saddles wich you only need 3 screws ure gonna be ok, but theres no enough space to drill holes under the saddle screw holes, believe, had to make string thru becouse of that

scrub likes this.
  6. paulnb57

paulnb57 Squier-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Isle of Wight UK
    I have also done the Bubba mod on a Toronado bridge, it works very well but I used a proper Mustang scratchplate, the cutout where it meets the bridge plate is a slightly different shape, to account for the curved front edge, but the original scratchplate would be easy to reshape...the blue one has the Bubba Mod on the original bridge plate' the orange on has the Bubba Mod on a Toronado bridge, The Sea Foam one has Bubba/Toronado and 25.5" scale Strat neck...

[​IMG]

7. scrub

scrub Squier Talker

Jan 9, 2018
    Everett, WA
    Is there any real sound difference on Toronado vs The original bridge? I see you move the bridge on the blue one back, was that due to the single pick up?

8. scrub

scrub Squier Talker

Jan 9, 2018
    Everett, WA
    I remembered I had another set of saddles so I took the shorter screws out of them and got the intonation set. Much better.

I still want a different bridge though!

9. paulnb57

paulnb57 Squier-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Isle of Wight UK
    Bridge position on the blue one was dictated by the bridge cutout on the scratchplate, I remember now fitting longer itonation screws for the Wilkinson saddles (3mm)
    Dunno if it makes a difference to the sound as I swapped pickup at the same time, so couldn't compare...I would expect brass saddles to have some effect though, although I'm not sure my old ears would hear it!
    Your easiest option is to modify your current intonation screws or modify the existing bridge plate to take three Wilkinson compensated brass saddles, which are available separately, with my blue Squier, the saddle height screws were such a poor fit, they adjusted themselves down due to string vibration while playing, so I used the brass saddles as that what I had in the parts box...

scrub likes this.
  10. Gareth

Gareth New Member

Feb 17, 2018
    Wales
    hi
    I’m a complete noob when it comes to modding and this is my first post on the forum. I’m looking at picking up a mustang bullet but would like to drop a set of Gibson humbuckers in it. Is this as simple as just switching the stock pickups for the Gibson ones or will it require work on the wiring, pots, switches etc?
    Thanks!

11. paulnb57

paulnb57 Squier-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Isle of Wight UK
    You can use the same wiring if you wish, but the holes for the pickups will probably be the wrong shape if the pickups you wish to fit have chrome covers, the original uncovered pickups have rounded corners, the Gibson ones are more square at the corners, you can use a file to carefully reshape the scratchplate cutouts.

12. altern

altern Squier Talker

Feb 9, 2017
    Buffalo
    Does anyone know of cheap chrome pup covers that fit the stock pick guard without filing?

13. paulnb57

paulnb57 Squier-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Isle of Wight UK
    I don't think such a thing exists......however it is not difficult to file the pickguard corners square...

danzigdan, altern and Pat V. like this.
  14. karstlevania

karstlevania Squier Talker

Feb 18, 2018
    World
    Hi, I donated a blue sister to my black beauty ;) I like the short scale, my shoulders the weight and my ears like the sound. Fendrig but not STRAT or Tele. That's why I like the sound. I have now indulged in a second Bullet Mustang in blue. Again very well processed except for the poor tuning stability. With another saddle and bridge, the problem is quickly resolved. This time I want to build a vintage Mustang Tremolo with an LP Roller Bridge. let's see how it works ...

IMG_1048.JPG IMG_1051.JPG IMG_1055.JPG

Pat V. likes this.
  15. altern

altern Squier Talker

Feb 9, 2017
    Buffalo
    damn, I wanted to avoid filing the $35 pickguard haha. Oh well! I'm just gonna grab some of the cheapest ones I can find then thanks!

16. karstlevania

karstlevania Squier Talker

Feb 18, 2018
    World

IMG_9719.JPG
    IMG_9764.JPG

Yes, with holes in the bridge and body, the tuning stability is great.

17. joeychickenskin

joeychickenskin Squier Talker

Feb 2, 2018
    Nottingham UK
    So far I've:

Put a set of 10s on
    Swapped out the faulty selector switch
    Installed a p-Rails in the bridge
    Installed a selector switch for the P-Rails (P90/Rails/Humbucker)
    Installed a Missile switch cover for the P-Rails (I guessed on the wiring for the switch so annoyingly the P90 is the default but I'll swap them next time I have it open). How long before I take this off after hitting my hand on it?
    Cut down the 2 saddle screws E and G
    Adjusted the truss rod, intonation and action
    swapped out the nut for a graphite nut (this might have been the best thing I've done as I was tuning between 2 minute songs). I installed it upside down so that it's visible if you lift the guitar from a playing position but as a happy accident, it's also very well framed for playing behind your head.
    Lightly sanded the rough spots on the neck
    Added a period-sensitive decal to the back. This made the pickups brighter and increased overall output.

To do:

Swap the volume pot for 500k
    Put 9s back on. I'm a 10s guy but this will be my scrappy punk guitar that needs to be as easy to play as possible.
    Buy a long strap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I now absolutely love this guitar!

Mbell75 and paulnb57 like this.
  18. paulnb57

paulnb57 Squier-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Isle of Wight UK
    Like the decal, a lot!

19. astonefox

astonefox New Member

Nov 30, 2017
    LA
    How did you "carefully rework the pickguard to make them fit?" I want to add these kind of pickups but am a total newbie.

20. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I use an exacto-knife and a dremel for stuff like this.