Bullet Mustang - show and explain your mods

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by xtomx2000, Apr 23, 2017.

1. xtomx2000

xtomx2000 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hi y'all Bullet Mustang owners.

Seeing various threads about customizing these neat little Rock'n'Roll machines scattered across the forum, I thought it might be good to collect them all in one thread. There are some really astonishing mods in those threads, but hard to find sometimes.

If you feel alike, please post your mods again here and if you added parts, it would also be great to know where you got them from.

I will start off with what I changed on mine so far:

1. The cheap pot metal saddles got replaced with standard modern Fender steel saddles - improves the sound quite a bit!

IMG_0285.JPG

2. On the purely cosmetic side I added racing stripes - I think a Mustang without racing stripes looks incomplete. I got those from a seller on eBay called designdivil

IMG_0284.JPG

3. I switched the pickups for wide range type humbuckers with a little less bite but a lot more expression and voice. I had to carefully rework the pickguard to make them fit. They can be split as well - I think I will add push/pull pots to explore the possibilities...

Humbuckers are F&M and from an eBay seller named Thor-guitars.

IMG_0286.JPG

2. xtomx2000

xtomx2000 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany
    In the planning:

Push/pull pots to split the humbuckers

Vintage tuners with plastic knobs

Bone nut

Will post updates as they come along...

josephkellum, Hugh and Pat V. like this.
  3. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    Kiwi'd neck, vintage tuners with white buttons (only proper on a Mustang):

DSCN9422.JPG

Bone nut, leveled/crowned/polished frets, rolled fretboard edges:

DSCN9411.JPG

Fender saddles:

DSCN9414.JPG

Steel threaded inserts in the neck. attached with SS machine screws, engraved neckplate and gasket:

DSCN9503.JPG

White pearloid pickguard, white knobs, Rose Magic dragon pickups, Gotoh strap locks:

DSCN9497.JPG

4. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    And lastly, a racing stripe:

DSCN9573.JPG

5. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2010
    MN
    Where y'all getting those Fender saddles? I have a set from a MIM bridge, but they are only 1.5 spacing, so there's a lot of wiggle room that I don't like.

6. xtomx2000

xtomx2000 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany
    Birddog - do you remember where you got the pickguard from? I searched all my sources, but all I can find are the standard Mustang pickguards with the two switches above the pickups.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  7. xtomx2000

xtomx2000 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany
    I really like the pearl pickguard and the white knobs on yours!

8. xtomx2000

xtomx2000 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany
    The tuners are exactly what I am planning for mine as well!

9. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2010
    MN
  10. xtomx2000

xtomx2000 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany
    Its for a string through body ...

11. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    Saddles: http://www.ebay.com/itm/232177926225?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT Word of caution with these: They don't come with intonation screws (you'll need 4-40 screws), and the screws on the original saddles are M3.

As for the pickguard, I had it made here: http://pickguards.us/index.html They charged me a BUNDLE because they had to make a new template for it. I mentioned that there may be others interested in the same pickguard, but suffice it to say, they didn't leave a good impression with me (kinda rude, condescending and not all that helpful) so I'm reluctant to recommend them.

xtomx2000 likes this.
  12. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2010
    MN
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  13. santos

santos Squier Talker

Jan 29, 2017
    near the beach...
    Mine is a black Mustang. I changed the stock 3-ply w/b/w pickguard for a budget tort one without the upper switching routs. Had to reshape it to fit around the control plate but it's not a bad fit all said and done.

Also I could not get on with the bridge! The saddle screws kept working loose as I played, and I either had the choice of replacing the saddles (but I didn't know what type to get) or getting another hard tail Strat bridge (didn't know if it would work with the neck radius) or sticking a vintage Fender bridge from a 1960's Duo-Sonic or Musicmaster on there…

I chose the 60's Duo-Sonic bridge, and I swear the little Bullet Mustang is rock solid now :) I think it helps that I put a set of 10-46 D'Addario flats on there too, but I'd have done that anyway. Did some recording with it last week and it is such a funky little guitar to have around. Would like to get some plastic tipped Mustang tuners for it at some point but the stock Squier cheapies are ok for now.

Final mod would be a Dakota Red respray and a 2 regular single coils in an aged pearl 'guard like a vintage 60's Duo-Sonic but I have absolutely zero skills in the refin department so that will have to wait until I have the spare cash. Or maybe I'll find a 60's Duo-Sonic near me someday..?

If the pic attaches, you'll see the lil Mustang in all it's cheap tort glory haha!

IMG_3037.JPG

14. xtomx2000

xtomx2000 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany
    hey Santos, I love that tort pickguard on the black finish - do you remember where you got it from? And the bridge looks really nice on it as well!

15. santos

santos Squier Talker

Jan 29, 2017
    near the beach...
    Cheers Tom!

Tort pickguard came from Ebay UK, seller named 'earlpilanz' based in Scotland but I think he ships worldwide. And yeah the bridge is a great fit for these guitars, and it improves the feel of the guitar for me.

xtomx2000 likes this.
  16. xtomx2000

xtomx2000 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hello Santos, many thanks !!

17. Squireitup

Squireitup Squier-Meister

May 8, 2016
    Berkshire county mass
    I changed the whole bridge with an unknown one. Got it from a friend it may have been bought or taken off something not sure. I also have giant knobs I thought about putting on just not sure if they'll look good.

Attached Files:

mb doug, bh1812 and so1om like this.
  18. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Loctite or white glue will resolve that issue.