Bullet Mods That Were "Worth It"???

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Some Old Guy, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Some Old Guy

Some Old Guy Squier Talker

Sep 22, 2019
    Northern California
    Yeah, for me, that is a good reason to keep it as opposed to going for a VM or a CV.

Plus, if I did get a VM or a CV, would I end up modifying the pickups or tuners or bridge on those?

Meaning, would I still be spending time and money on modifying one of those guitars???

optofonik likes this.
  2. Some Old Guy

Sep 22, 2019
    Northern California
    Yes, talking about squier strats. Apologies to everyone if that was not clear from my original post.

3. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    It's really common around here for folks to not pay attention to the particular sub-forum. It's easy to do when you're just clicking into threads from the home page.

4. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Mine is a swimming pool route.

Some Old Guy and drewcp like this.
  5. Some Old Guy

Sep 22, 2019
    Northern California
    Thanks for the reply.

Can I ask WHY you like your MIM Classic more than your highly modded affinity???

6. Some Old Guy

Sep 22, 2019
    Northern California
    Not sure what that means exactly, but I am guessing it means there is a BIG area routed out of it...

7. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    6920C7E7-36A2-4FA9-B08C-147A9265F5EA.jpeg

drewcp likes this.
  8. FhPudd

FhPudd Squier-Meister

Nov 28, 2012
    Pa.
    I’m exactly the same way. I prefer Bullets over everything else that Squier offers. Lol.
    It works for me though..they’re the cheapest.

zammie, Some Old Guy and Rat cam 68 like this.
  9. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    It's a number of factors... the wider bridge spacing, the 7.25 radius (both subjective I know), quality of fit and finish and parts generally, gloss neck finish and overall build, neck thicknesses and profiles (again subjective). Both the MIM and CIJ feel more solid even though the Affinity itself does rather. The Fenders (in this particular case and obviously just to me) simply seem slightly better overall... it's the accumulation of a number of small differences.

My next Affinity mod is to gloss the headstock and neck heel to match the now highly polished back and fretboard (through play). It'll be interesting to see if a new finish helps narrow the perceived gap.

I think I'd probably also have to say that while I like the light weight of the Affinity the MIM is actually about 2oz lighter (7lb 3oz) and does looks that bit more 'right' ... when side by side .... for the extra depth.

10. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

I have three VM offsets and I would never ditch them. The Jag has upgraded "Fender Vintage" pups installed and the JM has "Fender Vintage" pups standing by for install (although I kinda dig the stock ones). Installing the D90s into the Bullet offset, however, was another matter entirely. That simple change allowed it to transcend it's original practice/beater status and it is now, IMO, equal to any of the other three offsets. A dirt cheap guitar, some equally dirt cheap pups, and suddenly my "beater" isn't a beater anymore (bit of a double edged sword, that).

Heavy sigh...

So, I spent some extra on the VMs and the Bullet. The Jag and JM were kind of "standard upgrades" with no surprises. The Bullet improvement, however, was through the roof once I installed the D90s; a totally different guitar.

Some Old Guy likes this.
  11. Some Old Guy

Sep 22, 2019
    Northern California
    Thanks for the input.

12. Some Old Guy

Sep 22, 2019
    Northern California
    Thanks for the reply and invormation.

Which D90 pickups did you install? The ones I have seen online don't seem to be "dirt cheap" like you suggested.

13. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice