Bridge which do you use.

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by gary mitchell, Dec 7, 2019.

1. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Meister

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I was wondering which bridge you prefer, I like the sound of the bridge with the brass barrels. But the way I play I like the bottom with the 6 . I like to play Rockabilly sometimes and the sides of the first bridge gets in my way. When I play rockabilly I like to get way down there for a different tone. Does this make sense to anyone? my pick hits the sides and I really hate that. t_brdgf.jpg 41A40j5kvTL._SX425_.jpg

2. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I like the 6 brass barrel saddles myself. It's the best of both worlds.

dbrian66 and gary mitchell like this.
  3. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Nut

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Personally, I think the traditional Tele bridge design to be outdated and impractical from a today's standpoint. If you consider it, that boxy shape with the sharp sides was originally intended to hold the ashtray cover on, which not only nobody really uses, but I'd go as far as saying many players nowadays won't even know it existed (it was quite a surprise for me to find out a couple of years ago that Strats, too, were originally intended to have one of those).

That original one does carry some mojo, but the modern flat place with six saddles is just more refined and functional - you may also order a set of brass saddles, what the heck, you can even get a set of 6 individual barrel brass saddles for it! https://www.thomann.de/gb/graph_tech_string_saver_saddle_barrel.htm

4. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

I don't get the 3 saddles. To me it seemed a bad idea from the beginning. Impossible to intonate all the strings if I understand anything about setting intonation. Unless it's sheer luck in the individual build. Gotta have six saddles you can adjust.

dbrian66 and gary mitchell like this.
  5. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

They worked better with a wound G string. Not perfect, but better. Of course the compensated saddles attempt to adapt the three to a plain G string, but all the 3 saddle bridges are a compromise unless you're lucky.

dbrian66, gary mitchell and duceditor like this.
  6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    I can't confirm this, but I suspect that Leo Fender assembled the first 3-saddle bridge from metal bits he found lying on the ground after a tractor explosion.

7. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier-Nut

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    It ain't a proper Tele without the original 3 saddle bridge. :p

I won't even pick up and play any other kind because Leo got it right the first time.

dbrian66, beagle and gary mitchell like this.
  8. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I absolutely love both. Seriously.

My 03 has the toploader, plain flat plate with 6 blocks. Yep you can get way down near the bridge, you have perfect intonation. I like the blocks (on my strats too) because that support each other along that side surfaces adding nice stability. Perfect.

BUT! I have a partscaster which in my mind is a bit of a Jimmy Bryant tribute.(no.. I am nowhere close to his talents). It doesn't even really look like his.. LOL

It has the old ashtray style, 3 saddles, through the body. I like resting my thumb on the side surface on the bass side, sometimes i'll grab the side by the high E and pluck with my thumb. And it's wired with the caps/resistors in the 1952-66 wiring.

LutherBurger and gary mitchell like this.
  9. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I like the cool factor of the older ones, but hear no difference that I can credit to 'em.

That is even true for me regarding body-thru and bridge plate string holder designs.

We do hear with our eyes. (Which explains why red guitars sound so much better than most other colors) But still.

On Fender American Standard Teles such as my 2009 Fender made a big deal about their using the original steel brass metals in the modern configuration, but I write that off as a sales gimmick. (Could be wrong)

-don

gary mitchell likes this.
  10. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    My only Tele has the 2nd one you've got pictured .

2018-12-10 09.15.43.jpg

The next Tele bridge I have for an upcoming project is kinda like this one , but mine is both toploader & string through...

rBVaEVeDZjWAcc0oAAFVfO9g7M4167.jpg

five teles likes this.
  11. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I've heard the ones with the 3 barrel saddles give more of a Tele spank sound but I'm not sure if it's true or not. There is more mass to the bridge plate. That's what I use if I can. The ones with the ash tray type. Like on my newest tele.

IMG_20191206_224043.jpg

But then I have this one with the 6 saddles and love it just as much so I think sometimes it's a mental thing and like @duceditor said you hear with your eyes..

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  12. five teles

five teles Squier-Nut

Oct 27, 2014
    shoals alabama
    I'm planning on putting the three brass barrels on my cabronita and using the saddles I remove to bring back a squier strat, . The decision is mostly because I can get the brass as cheap as the saddles, and I think the cabronita telecaster w /brass will look great. Was going to try a ge Smith type bridge, but these short bridges look similar enough, unless you are close enough to see the sides are missing. 15758774467942020235058.jpg

13. beagle

beagle Squier-Meister

^^^This.

14. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I built a Tele and used the old vintage saddles and I actually have an ash tray for it. I also have a newer Tele that uses stamped steel individual saddles. I can't tell much difference in the sound or sustain. My original style with the three brass barrels is compensated with the screw holes drilled at a slight angle and I'm able to intonate just as well as the individuals.

gary mitchell likes this.
  15. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I have both and like both.

gary mitchell and Rat cam 68 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice