Bridge Spacing

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by DaveinSoCal, Jan 12, 2018.

1. DaveinSoCal

DaveinSoCal Squier Talker

May 2, 2017
    USA
    Hey guys,
    I just swapped out the bridge from the stock Squier to a Strat bridge.
    So after stringing it up, the spacing is AFU!
    The high E isn't even close to the bridge pole! The low E is off as well.

Has anyone else experienced this? Did I get the wrong bridge??

20180112_152940.jpg

2. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Squier-Meister

Jan 2, 2018
    KcMo
    American strat 2 7/32" E to e. Squier 2 1/16" E to e

3. Bulletman

Bulletman Squier-Meister

Nov 6, 2017
    Tuckerton NJ
    Measure your stock bridge from low E middle of the saddle to the high E middle of the saddle. 2 1/6th or 2 3/16ths. Most likely the old bridge is 2 1/16. Measure the new bridge and compare.

4. DaveinSoCal

May 2, 2017
    USA
    I guess I need the 2 1\16 but where do I get one? I didn't see that as an option when I bought it.

5. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Did the 6 mounting/pivot screws fit the original holes in your body? Some humbuckers are 50mm pole spacing and some are 52mm. Did you change the bridge pickup too?

LutherBurger likes this.
  6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    The Fender MIM bridge is 2-1/16. I put one on an import (Monoprice) Strat copy last year.

Measure the intonation screw heads on the new bridge E to e, center to center. If the measurement is wider than 2-1/16, the bridge is too wide. If it isn't, the saddles are too wide.

Did you have any trouble screwing in the bridge mounting screws? Did they go in slanted?

7. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

If your body is is not redrilled and the bridge screws are installed normally, then you need this rare bridge that is wide mounting screw spacing but narrow 2 1/16" string spacing. You can use the Fender number 007- 2290-000 to try to find one somewhere.

Here's a seller who has a few new ones left, after that, you would need to find a used one.

http://www.stratcat.biz/007-2290-000.shtml

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  8. pflug

pflug Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2013
    Michigan
    A "regular" humbucker has 1.90-1.93 inch spacing based on the old Gibson design and the strings will not line up even with the narrower spacing- Mainly an appearance issue but the reason for DiMarzio F-Spaced (for Fender) and Duncan Trembuckers

Narrow pickups worked fine with wider spaced tremolos for many years before the wider spacing was offered- I've never heard "dropping out" as claimed by some from the string misalignment

9. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    True, but @DaveinSoCal's new bridge is all jacked up.

10. DaveinSoCal

May 2, 2017
    USA
    The bridge dropped in perfectly, all of the holes lined up.
    Maybe the saddles are to wide?

I have another Squier i did with the same bridge but with single coils.
    Same issue but not as prominent.

Where do i get a 2 1/16 bridge??

11. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Okay...if you had a 2 1/16" bridge for mounting screws and saddle spacing....and you bought a 2 7/32" bridge...it would not line up....you would have to fill the old holes and re-drill...unless you forced it in....

Did it line up with the old holes and what is your current spacing from high to low E at the bridge center to center? it looks like 2 1/16" to me not 2 7/32"

Were the saddles sourced elsewhere or did they come with the bridge? Did you buy it new or used?

Questions too about the bridge pickup - what is it? where from? what is the spacing from outside to outside pole piece center to center? If it's 50mm or 52mm it makes a good bridge pickup...but I have a feeling this might be a 48mm spacing pickup you have in your bridge....

What model of Squier is this? what year? what country of origin?

We need a ton more info to help...at least I do...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    LutherBurger and MrHooligan73 like this.
  12. pflug

pflug Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2013
    Michigan
    "Normal" humbucker poles should be a little over 1/8 inch narrower than the spacing of a Squier or the Fender MIM style bridge

13. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Please provide an actual measurement of your string spacing. Then confirm that the strings pass dead center over the centers of the mounting screws when you look straight down on them. It is a little hard to tell from the camera angle. Make sure all the saddles are able to just touch the adjacent ones evenly, with no greater gap near the pickup than it is near the heel of the bridge. This is to confirm they are all sitting parallel as they should be.