Breaking Sonic Habits

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Mar 15, 2019.

1. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Anybody else find themselves falling into this "trap"? Buying new gear and then fiddling with its sound so it sounds like the old stuff?

I suppose it's natural. What we like is experience and even peer related. `50s guys like `50s sound. Same with the `60s, the `70s etc. Right on us (I'm guessin'!) 'til today.

But I've found that I do that even when my intention is specifically not to. It was my wife Jan who gently clued me into what I was doing. And understanding it, suggested a way to avoid it.

This has happened before, but most recently with my Supro gear. I bought it -- two guitars and an amp -- for its uniqueness, an then started wiping that uniqueness out.

The answer was a change in repertoire. "Listen to the guitars and amps and then ask yourself what songs would sound good with that sound. Then use the gear for those songs." -That what Jan suggested.

This has worked out so well that I am having to set aside specific times to work on my older stuff -- with the older gear.

And just as with the old silly, but not untrue characterization, that all _____s look alike to me. -True because at first we only see the definitive appearance aspects that differ from what we already know, then, slowly, the more subtle qualities that make a certain people differ among themselves. So it is with gear.

Playing it as it sounds -- with its uniqueness on parade as it were -- we start to hear the subtleties and in time find aspects of beauty there that we can not imagine ourselves ever missing. But we had!

My supro Blues KIng 12 illustrates this. That sweet "forward" (middle range rich) sound that personified those amps back when - it's there in the new model. But at first there is (or, at least for me, was) a tendency to tune that out. To make it into a Fender -- a sound that I have long loved -- which it most certainly is not.

Fun and games! :)

-don

drewcp, gearobsessed, Davey and 3 others like this.
  2. I've dropped all the effects pedals etc. The only thing I would really want or need is reverb.
    Cheers, Barrie.

gearobsessed, Big tuna and duceditor like this.
  3. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    That can lead to an exciting voyage of discovery!!! :)

-don

4. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I can't believe i am going through a strat phase again i have done this several times before. I think in my older age i just want to relive a feeling or a sound i once heard.

duceditor and gearobsessed like this.
  5. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I've decided to keep my VM Jaguar for this very reason. First of all, its a very nice guitar that plays wonderfully. Secondly, i want it because it's very different tonally and sonically than my other guitars. Im going to play different music on it rather than play my heavy music on it, that simply doesnt sound good on a Jag.

duceditor and gearobsessed like this.
  6. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-Nut

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    I think that's why I'm really craving a P90 LP Jr. Something a good bit out of the lane I normally drive. Sometimes you have to force yourself out of habits!

7. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    A good thing to do when stuck in ruts, is to try out a new genre. If you find yourself enjoying this new genre it can reignite your passion for your instrument.
    There's loads of genres to experiment with!!
    Here's a fun genre to play (if you have decent reverbs and delays, or multifx unit) atmospheric rock (aka post rock)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    duceditor likes this.
  8. drewcp

drewcp Squier-Meister

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I used to have an acoustic that I kept in DADF#AD basically just for the purpose of forcing me to play stuff in a different style. But recently I do often find myself chasing the distorted tone I used to have in the 2010s.

9. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    So true. When I play my Jr, it makes me want to play straight up power chords and rock. Jag is more versatile, it does alt, surf, cr, r&r, Jazz, stoner rock, almost everything, same with my Strat. The Tele makes me want to play country but I’m not a country player so I play the same stuff I would on a strat or my jag but than think, I should just be playing my Jag! Maybe I am a 1 or 2 guitar type person not 3+.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/3iJhhEKK8mMnmprEVAr4dv?si=DNkcZ9dQQRKmNhQM7b0oDQ

drewcp likes this.
  10. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Great thread!

I recently was feeling kind of pissy about one of my Tex Mex humbuckers and thinking how much better I like the Diamondback in one of my other Strats. Had to back up and take another look at it as how different it is and think about what I may be able to get out of it because of it.
    I was actually checking sites for another Diamondback and realized exactly what you referred to. I was after the sound I like that I already have a few of and what's the point in that. Well other than back ups and of course another pup combo :)

duceditor likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice