Bought my first “vintage” Fender

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Lonn, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    I came across an 83 American Standard 2 knob Smith era strat for a good price and jumped. Hopefully be here by Friday. All original even the original case and tremolo bar. This last couple of years I’ve been buying more expensive gear hoping to find one I’ll keep, hasnt t happened yet. Maybe this time.

AC698955-90D8-4F5C-AB2D-FF5AFEC9F042.jpeg 42522FF7-7FFB-4679-AFF5-7C4B9C29F7E6.jpeg 162675F7-E8DC-44DF-9FB5-BAA6CCBCCF5B.jpeg 200CF496-EFE0-4CA3-8A96-47A12731F699.jpeg 290082F3-5885-4563-BB54-D68E64986679.jpeg

Unit11, mbroadus, ADLGMT8 and 16 others like this.
  2. Mister Noonan

Mister Noonan Squier-Meister

Jun 28, 2018
    present
    Happy NGD. Very interesting looking tremolo!

3. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Man, it looks like it’s hardly been played! Congrats.

4. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-Meister

Nov 29, 2017
    Sharpsburg ,Ga.
  5. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I really don't think you'd keep a Custom order Custom shop guitar lol. I like the new one. HNGD

Pat V. likes this.
  6. jackdragbean

jackdragbean Squier-holic

Nov 16, 2011
    Mississippi
    Nice. Very different. First I've seen like that.

7. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Happy New Guitar Day!!
    Those top loader tremolos were unique. For those of us old enough to remember these being released, we remember they were broadly vilified by the guitar buying public at the time because of the drastic changes but Fender was sorting out how they would compete with all of the competition coming out of Asia and this was a way to reduce manufacturing costs. I remember playing them in the shops and thought they felt really good. I also remember seeing them hanging in the shops when the first Squiers started to land. I would love to have one of those in my collection now.

techowiz likes this.
  8. Mister Noonan

Jun 28, 2018
    present
  9. Two knob, 12 screw pick guard, regular output jack, kookie bridge ... Wow !
    Cheers, Barrie.

10. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    She's a beaut!

11. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philly Area
  12. Lonn

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    If you believe everything you read online these are junk guitars but the last couple actually sold on ebay went for over $1k and there's a half dozen more on there right now ranging from about $1150-1500. I paid under $800 with shipping and tax so if I don't like it there's no downside to trying it. The tremolo on these is odd and I'm looking forward to tinkering with it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  13. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philly Area
    I agree that is as odd as I’ve ever seen

14. Lonn

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    It was called the Free Flyte. I'm curious to see the underside.

15. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

It was called the "Swift Flyte" (Free Flyte??) trem system, it's most unique/notorious feature being the lack of a back trem cavity route. Here's mine (I bought it new and it was the first guitar I bought with my own money):

IMG_0485.jpg

Can they be floated? Maybe but I gave up trying in my teens and decked it. The full pickguard swap with EMGs was a bit later but I still have the original "loaded" pickguard in a drawer along with the bar and the little "case candy" Swift Flyte setup pamphlet.

Pat V. likes this.
  16. Lonn

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    Got the name wrong, here's a Free Flyte. Also used on some Dan Smith era Strats. Have a pic of that Swift Flyte pamphlet? Google gives me nothing called a Swift Flyte and I've never heard the term.

[​IMG]

skypeace and Pat V. like this.
  17. Mister Noonan

Jun 28, 2018
    present
    @Lonn , what was the criticism of this system? Stability? Mass? Ability to block? It looks easier to string than a standard strat.

18. Lonn

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    Geez, one of these Free Flyte trems just sold on Reverb for $190 last week. Apparent;y everyone doesn't hate them after all.

skypeace likes this.
  19. Lonn

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    You know I haven't read any particular criticism. I did read an old post on TDPRI that I believe sums up the complaints about this particular model. And I quote...

"I've had this 83 Revised Edition since it was about a year old. Frankly It's so good I've never had the urge to buy another Strat in all these year.

The bad rap on this guitar got started back when the Japanese were putting out some really nice Strat copies and Dan Smith as marketing Director for Fender at the time decided to introduce a model that included some superficial cost cutting measures to stay competitive. None of which by the way had anything to do with the tone, quality, playability, or workmanship of the guitar itself.

Once again I want to point out that both the "Revised Edition" and the "Dan Smith" are guitars made with the same neck, body, pickups, at the same Fullerton factory, by the same employees, on the same assembly line, and with the same materials. It is a testement to the potency of the "he said, she said, rumor mill" that even after understanding those facts some folks still just don't get it. How can one be so highly revered and the other so scorned?

The answer is that Stratocaster purists took offense the minute the model was issued. It was insulting to them that the "Holy Grail" of American electric guitars had been tampered with. The gossip mill started in the early eighties and continues even to this day.

However, things have changed drastically. Todays Strat enthusiast not only accepts changes to the original design but even welcomes them. Hence single and double humbucker Strats, 7 position switching, noiseless pickups, rear loaded electronics with no pick guard, set neck Strats, it goes on and on and hybrid configurations of almost every Fender model now abound. I guarantee you that most of these drastic revisions if introduced in the early eighties would have been scorned by Strat purists of the time and quickly driven off the market."

20. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

IMG_0487.jpg
    IMG_0488.jpg

skypeace, Pat V. and Mister Noonan like this.